2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 328i Loaner.. Pretty NICE

06-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
hyperboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Boxster Corvette M5C

the reasons you guys love it are:
1. the car is light and fast! you forget everything else!
2. you stepped into a different car like you going onto a date with a hot girl. you like the fresh change! grass is greener on the other side!

I like the 5 series. it does what it suppose to do.
21 M5C DD|21 M550 xDrive|05 E46M3 race car 6SPD|2019 2LT Corvette GS 7SPD track car|22 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport|19 Q7 V6 & 22 Q7 2.0T|20 G63|19 Vantage 4.0TT|22 Boxster 25 Year 6SPD sold|08 Porsche Cayman 5SPD sold|18 R8 RWS sold|Many previous cars
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Estoril Blue II 328 Msport

Having traded my F10 in for a F30 I can say I love the F30 so much more. In the F10 I felt like I was driving my fathers car, constantly stares and weird looks from people, and it was not nearly as fun to whip around the twisties like it is in the F30. Every time I tried to push the F10 around a turn I felt like I was going to roll the car over. It was as if I was driving a large pontoon boat or something.

While I do agree the interior build and finish quality in the F10 is miles above that of the F30, the inability of the F10 to put a smile on my face like my F30 does makes the 'downgrade' (if you want to really consider it one) in interior quality well worth it. I don't think the F30 is targeted towards the same crowd. It's more dual personality than the F10; it can be a calm, comforting city/highway cruiser, or you can do what I do and take it on the back roads and toss the tail end around on the weekends.

My occupation is not client facing so I didn't see the need for all that space, and while I did enjoy the cushy, luxurious ride of the F10, I feel like i'm too young to drive a F10. Maybe once I stop getting carded for R rated movies i'll make the switch, or when I can afford a M5.

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggity317 View Post
Having traded my F10 in for a F30 I can say I love the F30 so much more. In the F10 I felt like I was driving my fathers car, constantly stares and weird looks from people, and it was not nearly as fun to whip around the twisties like it is in the F30. Every time I tried to push the F10 around a turn I felt like I was going to roll the car over. It was as if I was driving a large pontoon boat or something.

While I do agree the interior build and finish quality in the F10 is miles above that of the F30, the inability of the F10 to put a smile on my face like my F30 does makes the 'downgrade' (if you want to really consider it one) in interior quality well worth it. I don't think the F30 is targeted towards the same crowd. It's more dual personality than the F10; it can be a calm, comforting city/highway cruiser, or you can do what I do and take it on the back roads and toss the tail end around on the weekends.

My occupation is not client facing so I didn't see the need for all that space, and while I did enjoy the cushy, luxurious ride of the F10, I feel like i'm too young to drive a F10. Maybe once I stop getting carded for R rated movies i'll make the switch, or when I can afford a M5.
Based on your Sig, you had a 528i with no package? Yes, that will appropriately be the boringest/softest version of this car that you can get. A base F30 is a car that looks designed for a more mature audience as well, it's part of the understated elegant charm of BMW design.

If you had a 2013 M Sport F10 with a more appropriate engine for the size (N55+) and the new-for-'13 actual M mechanical suspension, I'm sure you would be singing to a different tune as it's a far more lively car than a non-M Sport 528i or a pre-2013 M Sport period.

I get lots of compliments and interactions on my car, and none are about how "old" it makes me look.... in fact, all are from young people.

Last edited by K-A; 06-21-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
I don't understand, if you were looking for a agile and sporty car, why in the world would you buy a 528i? Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework and try to blame it on the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep

I had several packages I just didn't include them in my signature. Is that a requirement to post or have creditability when giving an opinion on their vehicle experiences?

I purchased a 528i, having come from a E92 M3, for the fuel consumption. While that may have been a factor in my dislike of the F10's drive/feel, at the time of purchased the new F30 wasn't out yet and where I live the E90+ 3 series is everywhere and too small.

I rescheduled the heck out of the car before I got it. I wanted a 535 but the dealer said if the main reason why I was switching from a M3 to a 5 was for mpg, then I should check out the 528 with the new N20 motor. I did and was pleasantly surprised at the power for a vehicle of that size, and to be honest the price difference was a factor and I used that extra $$ to add options.

I only felt like I was driving my fathers car b/c I was 25 at the time and look really young. Not because the car isn't attractive or sporty. I love the design, its the best designed 4 door BMW as far as lines, proportions and stance on the road; in my opinion. I still turn my head to watch one drive away, they're beautiful.

They're just not AS fun to drive as the F30. Would a 550i be as much fun? Maybe, I dunno, i've never driven one. I would have just kept the M3 if I wanted a V8 and the same MPG, but my needs changed and I opted for a more practical vehicle for my daily commute and finally decided on the F30. Is the F30 better? I'm not saying that, just merely stating my opinion based on my experiences. So you can all retract the claws, I wasn't 'attacking' your F10's.

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

I still don't understand, you wanted a fuel efficient car at the time and the 528i satisfy that, but your priority changed and you expect your 528i to transformed into a sport sedan all of a sudden? Of course the 3 series is more sporty than the 5 series, just like the 1 series is more sporty than the 3 series. I guess you were young and made some mistakes in your car buying decisions.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #29
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
I had several packages I just didn't include them in my signature. Is that a requirement to post or have creditability when giving an opinion on their vehicle experiences?

I purchased a 528i, having come from a E92 M3, for the fuel consumption. While that may have been a factor in my dislike of the F10's drive/feel, at the time of purchased the new F30 wasn't out yet and where I live the E90+ 3 series is everywhere and too small.

I rescheduled the heck out of the car before I got it. I wanted a 535 but the dealer said if the main reason why I was switching from a M3 to a 5 was for mpg, then I should check out the 528 with the new N20 motor. I did and was pleasantly surprised at the power for a vehicle of that size, and to be honest the price difference was a factor and I used that extra $$ to add options.

I only felt like I was driving my fathers car b/c I was 25 at the time and look really young. Not because the car isn't attractive or sporty. I love the design, its the best designed 4 door BMW as far as lines, proportions and stance on the road; in my opinion. I still turn my head to watch one drive away, they're beautiful.

They're just not AS fun to drive as the F30. Would a 550i be as much fun? Maybe, I dunno, i've never driven one. I would have just kept the M3 if I wanted a V8 and the same MPG, but my needs changed and I opted for a more practical vehicle for my daily commute and finally decided on the F30. Is the F30 better? I'm not saying that, just merely stating my opinion based on my experiences. So you can all retract the claws, I wasn't 'attacking' your F10's.
That's better clarification but I think the biggest problem is that you went from one extreme to another too quickly. Unfortunately in 2012 you didn't have the new passive M Suspension available so that's a wash, but still, a 535i with some suspension options ticked (as Active suspension was all you could get in 2012) with at least one of the Sports Packages at the time, SAT, and I'm sure you would have found it better suited to your needs.

That's not to say it would be better suited to your needs than an F30 M Sport as if you're looking for ultimate sport, nimbleness and connectivity it won't match it there, but it may have squashed most of your sportive concerns and allowed you to appreciate the parts of the F10 you do really love.

I adore my F10 but I knew that if I literally didn't get each exact option my car has, and unbeknownst to me at the time even this particular model year, I wouldn't be happy with my selection.

Like it or not, these days BMW kind of provides a well engineered, elegant, luxurious "blank slate" as their entry version, and each option you tick and how you combine them completely tailor your experience of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
giggity317
Lurker turned Poster
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

Like it or not, these days BMW kind of provides a well engineered, elegant, luxurious "blank slate" as their entry version, and each option you tick and how you combine them completely tailor your experience of the car.
Great point and I've noticed that a lot more lately too. I guess its their way of reaching a broader customer base? Either way, you have to really do your research before going in and making your selections otherwise you can do what I did and switch around trying to find what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I still don't understand, you wanted a fuel efficient car at the time and the 528i satisfy that, but your priority changed and you expect your 528i to transformed into a sport sedan all of a sudden? Of course the 3 series is more sporty than the 5 series, just like the 1 series is more sporty than the 3 series. I guess you were young and made some mistakes in your car buying decisions.
It's not that I was young, I am young

And yes, I did somewhat expect the 5 series to be at least somewhat sport, it is a BMW. It should have been more sporty than the 7 and less than the 3. As I mentioned earlier, the new 3 wasn't out when I purchased the 5 and the current e9X was too small for my liking.

But as the aforementioned quote states, it appears that BMW is leaning more towards the blank slate vehicle which is fully customizable to drive and feel how you want. Want Sporty? Get the M-Sport Line. Want a more luxurious ride? Try the Luxury Line, etc.

Current:
'13 328i MSport
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
K-A
Nice
Rep

Yup, seems to be the case now. Definitely an approach to reach "more people".

Problem is, that as you said, if people don't SERIOUSLY research these cars, they can come away VERY sour and shockingly unpleased. It's been happening a lot with all F chassis cars. The F10 got it, now even the F30 is getting it in droves.

I wish BMW for their sake would be more clear about how much each option really "tailors" this car to your needs. Seems they're trying to get that across with the new "Lines" which I think should help. They need to be really transparent on this as lots of buyers will get 528i's or even 535i's with no Sports Package expecting "it's a BMW so it should be somewhat sporty" and come away angry at the brand.

When you look at F10 Forums for example, you see lots of unhappy purists with a BMW history who got 2011/2012 models as ironically the F10's classically timeless E34/E39 esque styling brought many of said purists back to the brand (those who just jumped into BMW from M-B or Lexus, etc. though are more-so ecstatic on all fronts including driving) then lots of happy 2013 drivers. Then you'll see guys with certain options always lamenting, then guys with certain options usually far more unanimously praising.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

One test drive and most people can tell the difference between the the old E90 or E60 compare to the F10 and F30, the difference is pretty striking. Even my wife, who knows very little about cars pointed out how much softer and comfortable the F10 and the F30 were. I guess my point is if you are looking for a orange, do not buy an apple and expect it to taste like an orange.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Quote:

First and foremost I never regretted choosing 528 over the 3 series or 535. I really like the car. I was going for plush and I got it.

Having said that I will not pretend that I don't understand your post here. Your comments are accurate. Again, I do not regret 528 or never desired a 535 with a slew of fancy BMW acronyms to camouflage its weight and size (and for the record - I did do my homework). Smaller, lighter cars are and will always be more nimble to drive and that may directly translate to a subjective perception of being more fun to drive. I had a 328 loaner not that long ago and I really enjoyed that car. It was almost as fun to drive as my long gone B8 S4. We just cant defy physics here.

On a separate note, many folks would not go back from F10 to F30 (regardless of the handling) simply because to many F10 whether 528 or a ~$40/mo more 535 spells out "I made it in life". You did just the opposite and for that I applaud you !

Enjoy the ride.