2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Shift paddles retrofit

08-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535d M Sport

Shift paddles retrofit

Hi All,

I am looking for any confirmation, help and information for my next project of retrofitting shift paddles to my steering wheel. First, I have not visited my local BMW dealer yet as I like to go armed with as much info as I can find.

Right, the car is a F10 535d M Sport with build date May 2015. It has Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT) and a M Sport steering wheel with the round airbag but no paddles.

So, with my recently acquired knowledge of coding, I will delete 205 and replace with 2TB and flash ECUs EGS and GWS. Is this correct??

Now it is with the hardware I am having difficulty. Looking at the rear of the steering wheel there are covers fitted where the paddles would fit so I remove the airbag (read a lot about that) remove the covers and fit the paddles. Now I think there is a link cable between the paddles but I am not sure if the wiring is up to the slip ring.

So my questions are:-
1) How can I track down the part numbers for the paddles.
2) Are there any wiring diagrams associated with the steering wheel that confirms a link cable is required but after that it will be just a case of plugging up.
3) Or should I be thinking it will require a replacement steering wheel (minus the airbag) with paddles, already fitted, and then it will be just a case of plugging up.
4) The wiring from the auto box, or wherever, will exist to the slip ring. If not that might be the end of the project before I start.

Thanks for any thoughts,
John
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidm8 View Post
...Right, the car is a F10 535d M Sport with build date May 2015. It has Sport Automatic Transmission (SAT) and a M Sport steering wheel with the round airbag but no paddles...
How come you have SAT without paddles? SAT has always had paddles in the UK.

From latest 5-series data...

Quote:
Sport automatic transmission

The automatic eight-speed Steptronic Sport automatic transmission adapts to suit individual driving styles. It is perfect for everything from comfortable cruising through to a very dynamic drive. In addition to automatic gear selection, it is of course possible to shift gears manually at any time – optionally with the assistance of the Optimum Shift Indicator. The driver can change gears using the shortened gear lever or the gearshift paddles on the sport leather steering wheel.
What shifter have you got, standard or SAT shifter?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #3
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

I was thinking the same as HighlandPete... SAT in UK always has paddles.

I have a 2012 (Pre-LCI) with SAT shifter and Paddles. A friend at work has a 2013 (LCI) with standard shifter but with Paddles.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Both,

and of course you are absolutely right !! (You don't know the wife because she is never wrong).

Unless......... you order a car and the dealer makes a b****-up of the ordering. So I go down to pick it up and as I walk in they tell me about the error. I leave it a day but the bottom line is that I took the car with a good amount of discount on top of the agreement. So it has a SAT auto box, with the correct gear lever, it does auto-manual-sport gear change, a leather M Sport wheel but without paddles.

So back to my main questions:-
1) Does the slip ring extend all the wiring that could be required by any steering wheel?? ie. switches, vibrator (please no jokes), heater, horn, and airbag. Is the slip ring a default item or does BMW change the slip rings to suit the wheel?
2) Can I buy just paddles, which I am pretty sure could be fitted easily, plus any wiring looms required in the steering wheel.

If I require a new steering wheel well then I am still in pocket but if I can get away with just retrofit paddles well then I will have enough money over to fill the tank right up to the top.

Any thoughts appreciated,
John
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Quote:
So it has a SAT auto box, with the correct gear lever, it does auto-manual-sport gear change, a leather M Sport wheel but without paddles.
They must have gone out of their way to configure it like that .... no chance of a bit of goodwill (whatever discount* they gave ...) to help you sort it ?

* Maybe I misread that sentence, and they gave you further discount to atone for their error ?

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh yes, I was all for them ordering another car, exactly the same as the first one I had ordered, except with paddles this time. They won me round with more money off so that they could save face. The dealership never told me how they had got it wrong but to be honest I did not ask.

During the day of cooling off (or was it heating up) I decided that I could possibly retrofit the paddles so nothing lost and a wedge to gain. Now I have to see if I can in fact retrofit the paddles otherwise I am "up the Swanny without a paddle" (is that correct??).

Now come on Guys I feel the coding is not the problem just sorting out the retrofit hardware and understanding the slip ring issue.

Any ideas welcome,
John
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

But a SAT gearbox should have sport+ as well, I think you may have a standard gearbox... I'm pretty sure paddles are standard with SAT
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

But I have Sport +.

You know not to worry I will get info on my retrofit another way .

Cheers,
John
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
jakartakid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport AW/Cinnamon

I believe the steering wheels with paddles are different, I have seen them on eBay so getting hold of one shouldn't be a problem (or new from the dealer of course).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidm8
But I have Sport +.

You know not to worry I will get info on my retrofit another way .

Cheers,
John
John
Most probably your ring slip has wiring.
I will suggest you to take the steering wheel off and make sure that you have marks for paddle cut out.
If I was you, I would buy a new wheel.
Paddle shifter wiring usually goes to the volume / phone etc wiring.
And that goes to slip ring.

And you are correct re: coding as per pre-LCI car.

Good luck with the project and if you get stuck, give me a shout.
      08-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi makkan00,

thanks for your reply.

The wheel I have has got cutouts at the rear for paddles to be fitted but, as you suggest, I will probably get another steering wheel. My investigations lead me to believe that the connection of switches, heater, vibrator, and paddles is more than just some fancy wiring loom. I have seen an exploded view indicating there is a dreaded "black" box as well.

So it is either ebay, my dealer with some discount, or as I am driving to Switzerland during September, I could buy one there or (remembering CH is not in the EU so export is good) pop over the border into Germany. There are a few alternatives to explore but with my commitments I really want to be ready by the beginning of October to attempt the change.

Thanks for your offer of help but I visualized myself driving through the Tunnel with just a Mole Wrench clamped to the top of the steering column. Now I am only joking and I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
John
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #12
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Each to their own but I think they are a complete waste of time and a gimmick. I never use mine.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Each to their own but I think they are a complete waste of time and a gimmick. I never use mine.
Me too, I had them in a Merc E for three years, don't think I ever used them.

....however,

Might be a different story in an M3 or M5 rather than a 520d, though!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #14
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

They're fun to use, a quick change down just before you hit the accelerator entering a bend or roundabout, but then you turn the wheel & lose the damn things & can't change up again
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 04:25 AM   #15
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
They're fun to use, a quick change down just before you hit the accelerator entering a bend or roundabout, but then you turn the wheel & lose the damn things & can't change up again
Good for a straight bit of road but totally agree with you when it comes to bends! I tend to hit the gear level into manual mode and change up from there to get me out of the situation I put myself in

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #16
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I never used them in my previous cars, nor this one until I recently did a track day at Donnington Park in a McLaren MP4 with paddles...

I quite enjoy occasionally using them now as you can get a balance between Drive and Sport mode. However the paddles are too small, I appreciate that you are meant to be in the gear you want before entering a corner but these are not large enough to facilitate up shifts when exiting a corner. I saw someone selling extended paddles on the main site, these look like a better solution than the OEM ones... When really pushing on I prefer just to put the car into Sport mode and let it do it's thing.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:50 AM   #17
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

The one problem I find with the auto box is that coming into a bend (or roundabout etc) on overrun, as I then start to apply the power there feels to be a dip in power as the box thinks and then changes down, this is the reason I sometimes pre-empt the change with the paddle, it just makes for a smoother transition - until I lose the up paddle of course The 'dip' doesn't seem to be as pronounced if it's left in Sport mode but I don't like the constant increase in RPM for general mooching about
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm another user of the paddles, when I know what is coming up and the gearbox doesn't. OK, you can use the throttle to instigate a change, but the paddles are perfect for pre-empting situations where I want a particular balance of the chassis, or a specific rev range and/or turbo spool up.

I believe if we are serious 'paddle users', then we really need the shifter across to M/S so that the gearbox holds the gears. You then also have immediate access of shifter changes, particularly in those situations where you are spinning the wheel.

Paddle use suits the 535i, (simply to enjoy the engine more), not so sure I'd use them so much in a 520d, as there is no excitement to the engine, (IMO).

Personally I don't configure the drivetrain for the Sport mode, just too busy and more revs than necessary. When running Sport+, (when the sport drivetrain program is active), I use the paddles/shifter, take manual control. Takes a lot of concentration with 8-gears.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #19
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi All,

some good news and then some bad. First I started this project back in August and it is now October but I am guessing you know how time is not always under your control.

So quickly to the problem I upgraded the steering wheel with shift paddles. This was not complicated but also was not very easy to do as there was not a lot of room to shoe-horn everything in, however, I managed. Took the car out and everything that worked before still works and the paddles look really nice but just do nothing. So at this time I am happy.

So today I upgrade the software starting with deleting 205 and adding 2TB in the SALAPA list. All OK and written back to the car with no errors at anytime. Then to my problem!! My understanding is that ECUs EGS and GWS need to be flashed with the new software and there is no problem completing EGS but when I come to GWS the command with right button named "CODE" is grey'ed out. On inspection I find that the GWS does not have a CAFD file and this seems to make the difference as on inspection all ECUs that have a CAFD file can be "CODE"ed but the one other ECU, ZGW2, that does not have a CAFD also has "CODE" grey'ed out.

The car is still operating as before with no errors showing in the display, however, now digging a little deeper I notice that I have a write up naming EGS, ICM, and KOMBI ECUs to be "CODE" flashed. The car has ECUs ICM, ICM_V, and DKOMBI.
So have I to flash another ECU instead of GWS and in fact is there any harm to run "CODE" on all the ECUs other than wasting my time?? To me to re-flash ECUs can do no harm other than resetting any CAFD files I have changed during my customisation.

Sorry post is a little long but if anyone has an idea I would appreciate the reply,
John
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Maybe some clues in this F30 based Paddle-Shift retrofit ?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/m33a3n...30_Rev._3L.pdf

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:10 AM   #21
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi SpeedTrip,

thanks for that link. I read the procedure and the coding I am sure is relevant as after coding 2TB restarting ECUs is the next main operation to download the new software.

My uncertainty is that the named ECUs, other than EGS, do not exist for my car and I am unsure which ECUs to restart. I may be forced into restarting similar named ECUs, as I cannot imagine that being a problem, but will wait for any "experts" to agree this is a good way forward.

Thanks again,
John
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #22
Skidm8
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi All,

great news the paddles work just fine.

I had advice from Shawn Sheridan which I should have worked out for myself. So all that was required was to delete 205 and substitute 2TB and then no upgrading of any ECUs just to set Paddles to active in SZL_LWS. Shawn replied very promptly and it was reassuring, more than anything, to have his input.

Cheers,
John
Appreciate 0