2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications ESS piggy back installed! Dyno inside and updated info

03-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

ESS piggy back installed! Dyno inside and updated info

Just did the baselines on my 100% stock 2011 550i... AJ is tuning as we speak, excited to see the results! For those who haven't looked into their shop, it just happened to be about 20 minutes from me in AZ so I had to stop by and look! Pretty amazing what they do here with the custom blower and turbo kits, tuning etc. Getting off the dyno before me was a supercharged R8 V10,and also a couple M5s in the back getting larger turbos, some AMGs getting their larger custom blower kits etc, so needless to say I was impressed and felt a lot better about someone tuning my new investment. I will follow up later today with dyno numbers as he gets closer to being finished as well as videos, dyno sheets etc. Baseline was strong with 390 rwhp and 444 tq!

Edit for those not wanting to read through the entire thread - the flash tune for early N63 550i cars can only be done while the ECU has less than 10 vehicle hours on it, meaning pretty much anyone with a earlier 550i has to buy a new ECU and gets a one time flash. AJs answer to this was to do the flash for your setup (fuel, mods etc) and then use the piggy back if needed later to adjust boost and fine tune, or make multiple maps for different fuels and boost settings. Later 550i N63s do not have this issue, nor do N63TUs, and he has done plenty of them already.

For information on his piggy back, I had him email me some info since people kept asking me instead of calling his shop directly or emailing him. These were just the questions I wanted answers to, if you need something I didnt mention, there are spurts of data between bickering in this thread that may explain it.

First off, what is special about the ESS piggy back?
This is what sold me on the unit - It is a flash based piggy back capable of storing 3 different MAPs with instant switching back and forth. In addition, each MAP can have the boost adjusted up or down in 3 increments (it goes by voltage, not sure what each measurement trasnlates into for boost). Basically you could have a street mode, race mode, and race gas mode if you wanted, and then individually adjust to see if more boost makes power, or less if youre getting knock retard issues and/or pinging. These MAPs are built by AJ to your instuction, and can be custom like mine, or just a blanket increase in boost like some of the other piggy back systems.
In addition to the MAPs, it also has a crank reference so it can read RPMs. What this does for you is allow you to pick where the boost comes in. My first MAP had it stock until 3500 which allowed for more traction and also kept the knock down since low RPM high Load on the boost spike is where they tend to knock, which causes surging in power, timing to be pulled etc. The next MAP AJ is going to send me is going to have the boost rolling in from 2,000 rpm until 3500 rpm where full boost comes on, that way I still make more torque down low, but the gradual increase in boost will be easier on the engine and my tires. The piggy back also references MAP and MAF sensors, which allows it to adjust boost on the MAP side, while adjusting fuel on the MAF side and preventing the ECU from freking out due ot high MAF signals.
Lastly, the construction of these units is second to none. The piggyback itself is completely weather sealed and made of high quality ABS plastic so it wont be effected by weather issues, washing the engine bay, leaks etc. The harnesses are all top notch and OE quality as well. One other neat thing about the ESS piggy back is in addition to being able to switch the unit off with ease, you can also remove the ECU portion while leaving the harness in place, and installing the supplied plug which reconnects all the sensors to their factory plugs. If you are going in for warranty work, trouble shooting issues, or just want it off for whatever reason, this is much easier than having to remove all the plugs and harnesses on the car, and you can plug the ECU portion right back in when youre done.

Price on these kits from ESS is $795 for everything included above, plus the custom MAPs.

I will be going back on the dyno once AJ gets back in town to play with 93 octane settings so you can have comparitive dyno results to the competition, and I have been running 30% E85 on top of 91 Octane for 120 miles so far on this tank and can tell you it feels quite difference than just 91! Im going to try adding more boost shortly to see how it does, but nothing too crazy until AJ can verify everything.

Last edited by FenixMike; 03-28-2015 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Very interested in your results.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
Very interested in your results.
you and I both... its going to be the longest few hours in the waiting room of my life Or if you're near chandler, welcome to come watch! I was drooling over some of the cars and supercharger/turbo kits here... might start cutting into my gun money
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

good stuff lets see some numbers
      03-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Awesome keep us posted and make sure they let u know what exactly they did to achieve the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw View Post
Awesome keep us posted and make sure they let u know what exactly they did to achieve the numbers.
I already picked his brain quite a bit, and he gave me all the answers I wanted. Ive been tuning GM and Ford for over 11 years and a tech for 18, so I'm very skeptical about having anyone touch my vehicles except me, but there isn't exactly much option on these vehicles. He pretty much does exactly what I do to the american cars, and explained each step along the way with what changes are done and why. In addition he has tested and pointed out the short comings of other devices, why they do and don't work, and what they do to the computers. I came in having no idea what to expect (lets be honest, everyone says they are the best), and AJ really knows his stuff. We will see if the results back up everything he says, still waiting for him to finish Regardless on the results, I learned a great deal more than weeks of reading forums had taught me just by a couple hours of picking his brain.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
I already picked his brain quite a bit, and he gave me all the answers I wanted. Ive been tuning GM and Ford for over 11 years and a tech for 18, so I'm very skeptical about having anyone touch my vehicles except me, but there isn't exactly much option on these vehicles. He pretty much does exactly what I do to the american cars, and explained each step along the way with what changes are done and why. In addition he has tested and pointed out the short comings of other devices, why they do and don't work, and what they do to the computers. I came in having no idea what to expect (lets be honest, everyone says they are the best), and AJ really knows his stuff. We will see if the results back up everything he says, still waiting for him to finish Regardless on the results, I learned a great deal more than weeks of reading forums had taught me just by a couple hours of picking his brain.
Sick! Update asap!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
Jalndrs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550
Quote:
Sick! Update asap!!
Great to see all of these N63 and N63tu's getting tuned. I am currently running AA handheld flash on my N63, but would love a protune. Is this going to be bench tuned and require ecu removal? Looking forward to results.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Whats the ETA ?
      03-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
Whats the ETA ?
when I checked in last, he was loading the flash back in the car, waiting for a call so I can go video the final dyno and go play with it
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalndrs View Post
Great to see all of these N63 and N63tu's getting tuned. I am currently running AA handheld flash on my N63, but would love a protune. Is this going to be bench tuned and require ecu removal? Looking forward to results.
They had a couple of new M5s in there, one was getting down pipes and turbos! I was quite jealous... if this turns out well, mine may go back for at least downpipes, but possibly turbos as well, just have to save up a bit for that.

He had the ECU out, so I assume it was mostly done on the bench.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Did they tell you when your getting your car back?
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i RWD Black on black

RESULTS??? I am extremely interested! I have a 2012 550i...Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did they tell you when your getting your car back?
Hopefully today, Leaving for work shortly so I will be patiently waiting by the phone to hear results and either see if he can snap a video for me, or have it sit on the dyno until I can pick it up tonight, but unfortunately with my work schedule I wont be off until 10 PM at the earliest Sounds like it might be thursday am if that wont work out... but id be happy with just results!

By the way, I BLAME YOU FOR THIS!!! I was perfectly content with just ordering a BMS kit until I saw your thread... then there was no tuning back and I needed a real flash!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
ChitownN54
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Very interested in your results
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully today, Leaving for work shortly so I will be patiently waiting by the phone to hear results and either see if he can snap a video for me, or have it sit on the dyno until I can pick it up tonight, but unfortunately with my work schedule I wont be off until 10 PM at the earliest Sounds like it might be thursday am if that wont work out... but id be happy with just results!

By the way, I BLAME YOU FOR THIS!!! I was perfectly content with just ordering a BMS kit until I saw your thread... then there was no tuning back and I needed a real flash!
You wont regret it i jumped over to Gintani and the results are astounding.
Call and Nag!! Get numbers!!
Quick question. do you have carbon filters still in the intake?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #17
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
Slightly OT, does removing the carbon filters provide a noticeable change?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
ARC550
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
Slightly OT, does removing the carbon filters provide a noticeable change?
Not off topic. The carbon filters are comparable to having Sex with 2 Condoms. in this sense the car has TWO filters. a carbon filter and a paper filter both stacked. This limits air significantly into car. This would alter the Dyno numbers by about 20-40hp as a result of tuning demand for more air and fuel etc..

I have custom K&N from Badblack and WOW!
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #19
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Just make sure it's a tune and not a piggy back.

Because at the end of the day if that's what it is. Your better off going with bms.
They flat out have the best piggy back on the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
AJ ordered the BMC filters for me, just going to replace both of them and leave the carbon filters out... he did say it does make a bit of difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just make sure it's a tune and not a piggy back.

Because at the end of the day if that's what it is. Your better off going with bms.
They flat out have the best piggy back on the market.
its a flash, he was showing me how its done and had my PCM on the bench, and also comparing the differences between piggy backs and flashes...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #22
combatbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
AJ ordered the BMC filters for me, just going to replace both of them and leave the carbon filters out... he did say it does make a bit of difference.
Since when does bmc make filters for out car?
Appreciate 0