2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Looking for Summer tire advice

10-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
tree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6

Looking for Summer tire advice

I have been running Dunlop SP sport maxx tires in the summer on 19" 351m wheels with the staggered set up. One has a sidewall bubble now and down to 4/32 tread depth. Time for 4 new tires. I get the run flat vs non run flat argument, and will stay with run flats for a variety of reasons. I wasn't crazy about the Dunlop's, but they didn't suck. I'm looking for good handling, quiet ride, reasonable tread wear, and good resistance to hydro planing. I use the car as a DD, and don't need it to feel like it is riding on rails.
Tire rack shows 5 options other than the same Dunlop's
Bridgestone Potenza RE050
Bridgestone Turanza ER300
Pirelli P zero
Michelin Primacy HPZP
Goodyear Excellence ROF

I'd appreciate any feedback from folks who have had experience with some of these tires, or any other 19" staggered run flat set up that has worked well.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
Jrsimp78
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535i se auto saloon

Hi for run flat I had a full set of Goodyear excellences. It feels like driving on the rims. I've had 3 out of 4 straightened plus one was also cracked. I actively avoid holes and bumps aswell. I still have them on the front and needed a further straightening op the other day. On the rear I now have none rof kumo. Much better ride quality but I think they won't last long. The rear goodyears did 20k miles and have good rim pritection from curb damage.
I also drove a 520d Msport rental recently . It felt like a flying carpet in comparison. That had rof Bridgestone (I think they were touranza) at first I assumed they were smaller wheels but no, 19" 245front 275 rear.
I hop that helps
Appreciate 0