2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY-wrapping shark fin antenna (Updated with new photos)

04-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 528i

DIY-wrapping shark fin antenna (Updated with new photos)

Guys,

Just want to share with you the method i used to wrap my shark fin antenna. Again, this is just to show you the method, i didn't do a very good job since i worked under the sun and it's...too hot LOL. I will redo when my vinyl arrive next week. OK so first thing first, i'm using Knifeless tape. For those who want to know what that mean, PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO (this is how i get the idea)

NOTE: i'm no pro. Just like to do it, so don't blame me if it doesn't hold up for yearssss

Things you need:
Hair dryer/heat gun
Knife
Vinyl
Squeegee/credit card

So i assume you just what that video above. And finish cleaning the surface

Step 1 (photo 1) (sorry, don't know how to put caption/note for each photo): Apply 2 lines of Knifeless tape as in the photo. Use heat to make sure the tape secured well in to the surface

Step 2 (photo 2) heat the vinyl. Have a friend help you to hold one end or simply just attach one end to the car and hold the other side, then heat it up. When vinyl starting to turn soft. Drop the whole piece from the top of the antenna. Some starting to wrap from one side and then pull it for the other side. I found that will create too much wrinkles due to the shape of the antenna.

So...drop it down from the top, start to use squeegee or you can just use your thumb to work the surface. When you done with one side, move to the other side. Use squeegee to work the corners/edges.

Make sure the vinyl will go over the 2 Knifeless tapes line

Step 3 (photo 3) you now will have something like in my photo. See the line i point at? THIS LINE WILL BE PULL FIRST.

Again, what the video for why i do that and especially how to pull the tape correctly.

Step 4 (photo 4) you now will have something like that. Remove all the left over from the piece you just cut off by the tape.

Step 5 (photo 5) Use another piece of vinyl and wrap from the back (it's already done in my photo). Make sure this piece will go over the last Knifeless tape line.

Step 6 (photo 6) Make sure the area where the line meet the vinyl as well as the vinyl area that go over the line is clean, wrinkle free and secured. (i didn't do a good job here LOL)

Then pull the last tape line. Then use knife to cut any extra vinyl from the edge around the antenna. You should have a nice cut here. I don't because my surface wasn't too good.

Please refer to the youtube video on how to use the tape and understand why you need 2 lines.

Remember after the last line pulled, there will be a small vinyl (from the 1st vinyl piece) underneath of the 2nd vinyl. Remove it

Photo 7 and 8 are how it looks like. Again, i will redo it, didn't do a good job here but i'm all out of vinyl.

This method works. Refer to the video if you don't understand me LOL (i hope you do)
Attached Images

Last edited by jasonle89; 04-23-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

Looks good mate, just curious what kind of vinyl you use for the roof? and where did you purchase your cut less tape?
      04-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep

I used 3M vinyl for the roof at the shop that did my roof. Any other wraps also are 3M but got it through eBay. same for the Knifeless Tape. And lol, it wasn't too good since you still see the white. I will redo it this weekend. But yeah, found that youtube video and his method can be use here. That video explains better than me LOL

Last edited by jasonle89; 04-21-2015 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #4
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep

Here!!! i re-do it. sorry a bit dark here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
spyroz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 550i ///M Sport

look good, I will do mine once my vinyl come in.
      05-11-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep

have fun
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep