2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Do not pay your BMW lease payment ahead

12-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
freeewilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Do not pay your BMW lease payment ahead

I paid my lease payments ahead of time, so I don't have to worry about the lease payments until my 39 months lease is up. My monthly statement shows I have a (-) balance.

At 36 months, BMW sent me a flyer that they will wave the last 3 payments if I lease another BMW. After I spent hours of time looking and negotiating for the new BMW, we found out I'm not qualified because I paid my current lease in full. BMW will NOT refund nor transfer my current lease balance to the new car.

I was shocked and feel unbelievable, why BMW financial screw customers that paid ahead.

I went home and read the flyer again, BMW did mention the rules in the fine print.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeewilly
I paid my lease payments ahead of time, so I don't have to worry about the lease payments until my 39 months lease is up. My monthly statement shows I have a (-) balance.

At 36 months, BMW sent me a flyer that they will wave the last 3 payments if I lease another BMW. After I spent hours of time looking and negotiating for the new BMW, we found out I'm not qualified because I paid my current lease in full. BMW will NOT refund nor transfer my current lease balance to the new car.

I was shocked and feel unbelievable, why BMW financial screw customers that paid ahead.

I went home and read the flyer again, BMW did mention the rules in the fine print.
Wow man I feel for you, that sucks big time. Lesson learned I guess for next time
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeewilly View Post

Yes, never prepay anything, especially a lease. A car loan I understand, but a lease you never prepay.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Forgive my ignorance, but by prepaying don't you also run the risk of an insurance loss should you total the car before the end of your lease?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:24 PM   #5
freeewilly
United_States
Rep

I was shopping for a house mortgage 18 months ago, car lease payment hurt my income to debt ratio greatly. I decided to payoff my lease payments in advance and show the lender I have no more debt. I knew the risk of an insurance loss, but don't know I will miss the chance to waive the last 3 payments. It's not the end of the world, just want to share my experience with everyone.

I got the house, and I just lease a new i3 today. I guess it's happy ending.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
hawkjr1
Retired US Army/Police Officer
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport, E-92

Garage List
So they were willing to let you out of your lease 3 months early. Hope they send me one of those filers, got 6 months left. Looking to get an alpine white M Sport 528i.
      12-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but by prepaying don't you also run the risk of an insurance loss should you total the car before the end of your lease?
Yes, insurance (w/ GAP or without) will only pay up to what you owe. So you're SOL if you prepay. You should NEVER prepay more than a month ahead for cars unless you are buying instead of leasing and your APR is under 3%. If you have the money, just put it in a CD or whatever safe investment vehicle, and collect the same interest or higher.

If you have GAP insurance and you prepay, then it's really dumb.

There's no point in prepaying for a lease either. It's not going to save you any significant money. The interest is based on the entire car's price while you're only paying off a small portion that is considered depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Yes, insurance (w/ GAP or without) will only pay up to what you owe. So you're SOL if you prepay. You should NEVER prepay more than a month ahead for cars unless you are buying instead of leasing and your APR is under 3%. If you have the money, just put it in a CD or whatever safe investment vehicle, and collect the same interest or higher.

If you have GAP insurance and you prepay, then it's really dumb.

There's no point in prepaying for a lease either. It's not going to save you any significant money. The interest is based on the entire car's price while you're only paying off a small portion that is considered depreciation.
Agree. No point in pre paying. Unless, you need to get the debt out of your portfolio.

In that case, prepay everything but three months.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I haven't seen a situation where I need the debt out of my portfolio short of moving overseas.

I can see some people buying a house and wants to lower their debt/income ratio. But instead of paying it off, keep that cash in your checking account and it will help you more.

Wait...I remember...divorce lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #10
freeewilly
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjr1 View Post
So they were willing to let you out of your lease 3 months early. Hope they send me one of those filers, got 6 months left. Looking to get an alpine white M Sport 528i.
This is what I received.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Time for a Mercedes C63 and see if they're willing to lose you as a customer.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeewilly View Post

Yes, never prepay anything, especially a lease. A car loan I understand, but a lease you never prepay.
+1.

But at the same time, shame on BMW. The point of the promotion was to get you in another BMW. They should honor that intention and add the difference (your last 3 prepaid payments) as a credit on your next car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #13
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Yea once he goes and sees the monthly lease payment on the C63 - he will be coming back crawling on his hands and knees to BMW for a cheaper payment.
      01-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCypher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Yea once he goes and sees the monthly lease payment on the C63 - he will be coming back crawling on his hands and knees to BMW for a cheaper payment.
Though the new c450 is no joke and affordable. Not a fan of their transmissions though.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0