2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum UK Issue with Thule 3089 Fitting Kit

11-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
DanHughes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5 Series F10

Thumbs down UK Issue with Thule 3089 Fitting Kit

Hi Folks,

Has anyone else had issues?

I purchased the following:
1 Thule 753 Foot Pack
1 Thule 3089 Fitting Kit
1 Thule 861 Aerobar

from one of your online resellers, I tried to fit the rack and found issues with the 4 bolts screwing into the roof nuts. I phoned the reseller and they said it was a known issue and that I should speak to Thule on 01275 340 404.

I spoke to Dan last week from Thule UK and discussed the issue with him, he said it too was a known issue and Thule were stopping production in Germany he took my contact details and said he would call me back with an update.

This week I've phoned again, and now it Thule are saying it's BMW's issue, in that they have allowed paint to get down the thread of the bolt. They were looking at a thread chaser from BMW to resolve the issue but Thule wasn’t able to provide me with an update on when the issue could be fixed. As a result of the issue, one of the bolts I’ve tried to force screw in, has lost its thread.

I've spoken with BMW and they've said they've had no issues with fitting of their racks.

I would hold off from buying a Thule fitting kit for F10 right now!

Dan
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHughes View Post

I've spoken with BMW and they've said they've had no issues with fitting of their racks.

Dan
Do a search. I'm sure I've read of issues fitting the BMW racks. Something breaks very easily when people have tried to do it. One guy said than when the dealer tried they broke the first set too. I can't point you to the right thread right now but a search here or at bimmerfest should bring some results for you.
Appreciate 0