2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Suspension upgrades

03-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

Suspension upgrades

Hi all. I am currently waiting for the delivery of my F11 (530d SE) and browsing this forum I came across a few people changing their car's suspension to give the car a better cornering ability etc. I am currently driving an E46 (330 ci SE) and love the way it corners. I have not changed the suspension or anything, so I was wondering whether the F11 will need this done anyway or I can drive happily in the OEM suspension. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
jftoha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport /2011 535is

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos
Hi all. I am currently waiting for the delivery of my F11 (530d SE) and browsing this forum I came across a few people changing their car's suspension to give the car a better cornering ability etc. I am currently driving an E46 (330 ci SE) and love the way it corners. I have not changed the suspension or anything, so I was wondering whether the F11 will need this done anyway or I can drive happily in the OEM suspension. Many thanks!
Coming from an e4, you will most likely find the F10/F11 a bit floaty and heavy, they cater to different markets after all. However, previous 5 series were very capable in the handling department and they always attracted "drivers". Starting with the E60, BMW introduced more and more electronics to their steering and suspension and that has taken away some of the communication the driver would get from the car. The F10/F11 is still a very capable car and I would say still better than most cars of this size, but in my view 5 series reached its peak in terms of handling (so far at least) with the E39. You can however make modifications to the suspension that would eliminated roll and make the car more planted. The steering for most of us is here to stay. You, however, may be in luck. I understand the F11 still carries on with a more traditional power hydraulic steering. So, a pair of AC Schnitzer springs and better non Run-Flat performance tires may be all you need.

Good luck and post photos!

José Tohá ---------------------------------Chilean Architect, Living in Washington, DC.
PRESENT: F10 535I Sport, Alpina 21" wheels, AC Schnitzer springs, M5 Grill.
PAST: E63, E39 (2), E34 (2), E36, E24, E30 (2)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

After three days of driving, I have to say that the car drives and corners well. Not floaty at all...
Appreciate 0