2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Headlight replacement

07-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #1
abhishek1223
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528I

Headlight replacement

Hi guys, my 2012 5 series car left headlight has to be replaced. i checked with my local bmw dealer and i got a quote for $4500. my car value is $8k, so i don't want to spend half price of my car value to replace the headlight. Except headlight everything is fine with car. Can you guys suggest any cheaper alternative.? i found one generic headlight, does these lights work fine ?

https://www.carparts.com/headlight/r...00368?&vehicle[cylinders]=4&vehicle[liter]=2%2E0&vehicle[submodel]=Base&vehicle[model]=528i&vehicle[make]=BMW&vehicle[year]=2012
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Does your car need the housing or a bulb or module?
What kind of lights does your car have, halogen, bixenon?
What all does your purchase include, bulbs, modules?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I would ask what is wrong with your headlight that it need replacement? Removing the headlight is not that hard. I did it on my car because water condensation was occuring and they quoted me 3000 with labor. I just took it out and used seleant around the housing to fix the issue. You might not need to replace the entire assembly depending on the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

You know eBay has used headlights...and what is wrong with yours ? Could be a bad module.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
dadaatlanta
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i xdrive

I have a similar issue, used to have some condensation but removed the cap and no longer have it but while I did it seems to have shorted out something where I get dash pop ups of daytime running light malfunction and left turn signal malfunction. I failed the safety inspection because my front left indicator does not work. I took it to bmw and they quoted me $5000 to replace one headlight and the control module. Id be interested in hearing from others on what my options are. My headlights still work and the halos still work, just not the front left indicator and $5000 is just bonkers. I can live with not fixing it instead but cant figure out how I would pass the safety portion of my vehicle inspection due to the lack of the indicator, the side indicators and back work just fine but just flash fast due to the front indicator issue. I've looked at headlights on ebay etc but am concerned that it may not work after buying everything and installing it. Sorry abhishek, not tryin to hijack the thread, rather I share your frustration and hope we can find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadaatlanta View Post
I have a similar issue, used to have some condensation but removed the cap and no longer have it but while I did it seems to have shorted out something where I get dash pop ups of daytime running light malfunction and left turn signal malfunction. I failed the safety inspection because my front left indicator does not work. I took it to bmw and they quoted me $5000 to replace one headlight and the control module. Id be interested in hearing from others on what my options are. My headlights still work and the halos still work, just not the front left indicator and $5000 is just bonkers. I can live with not fixing it instead but cant figure out how I would pass the safety portion of my vehicle inspection due to the lack of the indicator, the side indicators and back work just fine but just flash fast due to the front indicator issue. I've looked at headlights on ebay etc but am concerned that it may not work after buying everything and installing it. Sorry abhishek, not tryin to hijack the thread, rather I share your frustration and hope we can find a solution.
are you talking about the orange LED cluster, turn indicator at the end of the headlight? if so the left side is 63-11-7-271-899 (on my car, 2011 with adaptive xenon don't know which one you have). List price on that is $286.06.
      07-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Yeah just get the module and do it your self... I would tell you to remove the headlight and just apply sealant as well around the housing... You probably getting water in there since you removed the cap causing shit to fry.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
dadaatlanta
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i xdrive

2012 550i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
Yeah just get the module and do it your self... I would tell you to remove the headlight and just apply sealant as well around the housing... You probably getting water in there since you removed the cap causing shit to fry.
ziekxq, how hard is it to do and does it require any special coding after? Also, removing the cap is what caused the condensation issue to stop but I guess the damage was already done and the problems persists. I reached out to a place called lightwerkz thats about 20 minutes from me that do just lighting https://lightwerkz.net/. Im waiting to hear back to see what options they may have and may even consider an custom set if reasonable in price but at the minimum Im hoping they can fix the broken components and perhaps reseal the existing assembly.

abhishek1223 Have you had any luck?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

If any help, I bought a complete used headlight and it did not require any program
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #10
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadaatlanta View Post
ziekxq, how hard is it to do and does it require any special coding after? Also, removing the cap is what caused the condensation issue to stop but I guess the damage was already done and the problems persists. I reached out to a place called lightwerkz thats about 20 minutes from me that do just lighting https://lightwerkz.net/. Im waiting to hear back to see what options they may have and may even consider an custom set if reasonable in price but at the minimum Im hoping they can fix the broken components and perhaps reseal the existing assembly.

abhishek1223 Have you had any luck?

Thanks
No programing required... If I remember correctly there are 4 screws to remove the headlight. You also have to undo half the bumper so you can move it and to remove headlight from the housing.
Appreciate 0