2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 5 series... one step back?

07-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

2013 5 series... one step back?

After the BMW Olympic drive yesterday I sat down with a random sales guy to look at the build computer for the option to build a sport pack on the 2013 535i or 550i.

The only sport avaliable is the M sport pack. Which means, if you want wheels nicer than the radial wheel size 18 style, you have to go the M sport route. I am pretty bummed the regular sport pack, which showcased the beautiful stock design of the car, is no longer avaliable with 19s. You must now get a different bumper and front fasica if you want black headliner, the increased speed limit, and the more aggressive wheels. You have to get an M 19 inch wheel, M shifter. M steering wheel.

The old sport steering wheel has been discontinued! A think a huge step back for those folks who want the sport look, but do not want little m badges on the interior of the car.

Anything think BMW will bring this back? or is it now history?

Sad... since the launch 535i sport in my opinion is the most beautiful design they did in years... i still love the photo shot of the car when it first came out. They used to say wait a few model years to work the kinks out. What people do not say is, if you wait, you might lose the sport pack and beauty of the original! I wonder if LCI will fix this?

Last edited by JK479; 07-18-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I have the opposite opinion as you do. I purposely did not get the sport package due to the 19" low profile rims and tires, they dont hold up too well on the crappy Boston road. Since I think the best part of the SP is the multi contour seats, I got the seats as a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I agree, I prefer the non M sport package on my 2011 535i. Luckily in Canada, you can still order the wheels, the headliner, high gloss shadow line, etc. as stand alone options, so you can still build the car with the old sport package, it just isn't offered as a single package anymore. I guess the M sport is now "the" sport package.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I have the opposite opinion as you do. I purposely did not get the sport package due to the 19" low profile rims and tires, they dont hold up too well on the crappy Boston road. Since I think the best part of the SP is the multi contour seats, I got the seats as a stand alone option.
This is true... can the steering wheel be added a la cart. You are right, the seats in themselves, are a work of art for our backs.

You could also have optioned a pair of 18s and kept the 19s...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
I agree, I prefer the non M sport package on my 2011 535i. Luckily in Canada, you can still order the wheels, the headliner, high gloss shadow line, etc. as stand alone options, so you can still build the car with the old sport package, it just isn't offered as a single package anymore. I guess the M sport is now "the" sport package.
Maybe this is the case in the USA? i have yet to see if it can be done, only that the sport pack as we know it isnt an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
This is true... can the steering wheel be added a la cart. You are right, the seats in themselves, are a work of art for our backs.

You could also have optioned a pair of 18s and kept the 19s...
The M steering wheel is much nicer than the plain sport package steering wheel and cost about $1000 install, a bit too rich for me. I trade my Audi for the 535i mostly for the seats and the solid feel of the F10. I dont think 18" rims and tires are an option for the sport package. I can buy the 18" set up seperatly, but now we are talking about another $2500+. Instead of the sport package, I opt for the mutlicontour seats, premium sound and the winter package.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The M steering wheel is much nicer than the plain sport package steering wheel and cost about $1000 install, a bit too rich for me. I trade my Audi for the 535i mostly for the seats and the solid feel of the F10. I dont think 18" rims and tires are an option for the sport package. I can buy the 18" set up seperatly, but now we are talking about another $2500+. Instead of the sport package, I opt for the mutlicontour seats, premium sound and the winter package.
But... what if you do not want an M badge on your steering wheel, stick shift (6 speed manual) and door stops.

isnt anyone else displeased you now have to have an M sport model to get a sports pack?

Even the 3 series likes allow two sport models. M sport and Sportline. This is a huge step back for the 5 series. And i wish they'd upgrade those radial 18s... not as impressive as BMW thinks. They are sort of boring in a luxurious sort of way. I get BMW's angle... but they are no where as beautiful than the Luxury line wheels the 3 series has...
Appreciate 0