2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum last call before we submit our order . . .

03-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
kashrahman
Rep
Drives: 09 E93

last call before we submit our order . . .

Some of you may recognize my posts from bimmerfest -- wife and I have been looking at 535xi GT. Appreciate all those who have helped me. Seeing how this GT forum seems a bit more active, I thought I'd ask here.

We're about to place an order for a 535xi GT. My questions are:
1) 6NR option -- if I did want it, how do I order it? I don't see it on the website (or is it included in the ipod/usb cable option)?
2) rear seat upgrade -- do these seats power fold flat (as opposed to manually fold)? We looked at a 535xi GT on the dealer lot, but did not have the seat upgrade, and we had to manually fold these seats.
3) Also, we have soft touch on our 7 -- sensors had to be replaced last year (apparently there is a TSB or something about them); has anyone noticed issues with their soft touch?

This is what we're planning on:
535xi GT (sorry, I can't write xdrive, it just doesn't seem right!)
Black/Black/Ash Grain wood
Camera Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Convenience Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Sport Package
Luxury Rear Seating Package
Active ventilated seat package
Premium Sound Package
Head-up Display
Navigation system
Rear-seat entertainment
Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection

seems like a lot!! but
- no active cruise control (wife doesn't use cruise that much, too much city driving),
- no active steering (we've never tried it, and I suspect I would like it, but it would take several parking lot dings for the wife to get used to it).
- no smartphone integration (I have it and don't use it; just use the ipod cable instead) UNLESS do we need this for 6NR? (and let me guess -- smartphone is 6NR, isn't it? i thought it was 6FL)

thanks!! Kash
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Just need to make sure your dealer has added 6NR to the order.

You seem to have forgotten to add "the kitchen sink"! Sounds like a great spec. Personally I prefer the ivory white/black with fineline unlacquered trim but otherwise I cannot fault your choices. Post some pics when it eventually arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Option 6NR.pdf (1.61 MB, 5078 views)
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

As I understand it, the smartphone integration takes up some of the center armrest with a bracket to hold the phone. It will charge the phone as well. It was not clear, but it may also couple the antenna to an external one to improve reception. Somewhere I read that without this, you could get interference in the car when using a cellphone. If you have Nav, there is a USB port in the glovebox that can be used to upload info to the harddrive, but I do not know if you could actually directly read and play music from it without uploading it first. The user manual states that the USB port should not be used to charge a device, only to communicate with it. This seems a little tricky, as they say you can use a USB memory stick to load stuff in or out, which obviously would be powered (but I suppose not really 'charged').
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
kashrahman
Rep

thanks!

yeah, I have the smartphone and ipod cable on my E93. Both will charge the phone. both will allow me to play music off the idrive. I think others have had mixed experiences, but both the ipod and smartphone connector work well (and the same) for me. BUT
- smartphone connector is suppose to give better reception by using the sharkfin; I have not noticed any difference
- smartphone connector does take up more space
- my iphone wont fit without removing the hard case.

so I end up using the ipod connector. in retrospect I should have skipped the smartphone connector and gotten PDC or something else. oh well, at least I tried it once.

going tomorrow to start paperwork. Better start getting ready for my ED write up now!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
kashrahman
Rep

update: thanks all!! order placed this afternoon. I added 6NF; 6NR was also listed as
6NR BMW Apps N/C

now the wait begins!!
Appreciate 0