2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Odd thing with 528-xdrive/ nappa on order

08-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Odd thing with 528-xdrive/ nappa on order

My car is on its way to me now but there's something that I can't figure out. I built this car exactly the way I want it but something just seems odd to me.

Since LCI 528s don't come with leather, and I don't want premium package because it's not worth $2600 to me (as opposed to $1500 on 535 probably because of the "standard leather" on 335's) How did I get the upgrade to Nappa? There is no "extra" on my build report from the dealer for leather nor is it on this car on my "My BMW" account. It all just says "LZMW Mocha Nappa Leather w/black Dashboard" - N/C. When I previously built a '13 528 m-sport, I had to add leather, nappa and also luxury seating which all had charges.

Is it just that M-sport gets leather all the way around? Or is it something else?

528-xdrive Alpine white/Moca Nappa/light fineline wood
ZMM- M-sport
ZCW - Cold weather
ZDA - Driver Assistance
ZLP - Lighting Pkg
ZLS - Luxury Seating Pkg
337 - M Sport pkg
415(6) -Sunshades
4U1 - Ceramic controls
688 - H-K
      08-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
numbersguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

BMWNA decided to give the Mocha nappa option away for free on certain cars. I don't know if it was the M sport package or the luxury seating package or both, but something in your configuration allows the leather as a no cost option. I checked out your build on the configurator and you have a very expensive 528 even with the free leather.

I think this leather package is getting pushed because BMW is proud of it and they want to get lots of them on the street. That might not happen if they charge full price for it on top of all the other options most people order. This is about competing with other manufacturers, many of which don't have so many expensive option packages.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy View Post
BMWNA decided to give the Mocha nappa option away for free on certain cars. I don't know if it was the M sport package or the luxury seating package or both, but something in your configuration allows the leather as a no cost option. I checked out your build on the configurator and you have a very expensive 528 even with the free leather.

I think this leather package is getting pushed because BMW is proud of it and they want to get lots of them on the street. That might not happen if they charge full price for it on top of all the other options most people order. This is about competing with other manufacturers, many of which don't have so many expensive option packages.
Thanks for your insight, numbersguy, I appreciate another opinion on this.

I keep thinking my dealer and BMW must have missed something since I don't think I really should be entitled to an "upgrade" to nappa if I don't have leather to start with. I was prepared to pay for leather and nappa, but I'll be happy to take it for free!

Last edited by wrickem; 08-14-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Nappa leather is free for the F10 LCI models in the U.S., but you only have the choice of Mocha or Ivory White leather.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

It should be free on all BMWs. All the Kia comes standard with nappa leather.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Nappa leather is free for the F10 LCI models in the U.S., but you only have the choice of Mocha or Ivory White leather.
Yes, I get that, but what I don't get it why I got the "upgrade" if 528s don't even come with standard leather. Even though I did not want it, if I bought the Premium pkg, I'd be charged for it in the package price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthankzbye View Post
It should be free on all BMWs. All the Kia comes standard with nappa leather.
I'll admit that I cross shopped Kia, since this is the car I take on my daily 8 mile drive to park at the train station. I realized that Kia has to throw in nappa and every "extra" including the kitchen sink to make them more attractive to buyers. After 1 mile in their Cadenza, I couldn't wait to get out of it. I was happy to be back in the 528xi base loaner I had that day.
      08-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
My car is on its way to me now but there's something that I can't figure out. I built this car exactly the way I want it but something just seems odd to me.

Since LCI 528s don't come with leather, and I don't want premium package because it's not worth $2600 to me (as opposed to $1500 on 535 probably because of the "standard leather" on 335's) How did I get the upgrade to Nappa? There is no "extra" on my build report from the dealer for leather nor is it on this car on my "My BMW" account. It all just says "LZMW Mocha Nappa Leather w/black Dashboard" - N/C. When I previously built a '13 528 m-sport, I had to add leather, nappa and also luxury seating which all had charges.

Is it just that M-sport gets leather all the way around? Or is it something else?

ZMM- M-sport
ZCW - Cold weather
ZDA - Driver Assistance
ZLP - Lighting Pkg
ZLS - Luxury Seating Pkg
337 - M Sport pkg
415(6) -Sunshades
4U1 - Ceramic controls
688 - H-K
For 2014, as soon as you pay for a "Line" leather seats are included. Black or beige Dakota, or ivory or mocha Nappa.

Also, you can't order Luxury Seating without leather.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 08-16-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
For 2014, as soon as you pay for a "Line" leather seats are included. Black or beige Dakota, or ivory or mocha Nappa.

Also, you can't order Luxury Seating without leather.
I think you probably nailed it with the "Line" part. Now it actually makes sense to me. Thanks!

I wasn't worried I was going to end up with "napa-like pleather", they'd have to rename it "528 Sort Of Pretend Luxury Seating Pkg"
      08-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The Leather is included with the M-Sport price, but the Luxury and Modern Lines require the Premium Package in the 528i by the Ordering Guide.

And then when you add M-Sport and Premium Package the ZPP price still is $2600.

Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

ZMM- M-sport
ZCW - Cold weather
ZDA - Driver Assistance
ZLP - Lighting Pkg
ZLS - Luxury Seating Pkg
337 - M Sport pkg
415(6) -Sunshades
4U1 - Ceramic controls
688 - H-K
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Leather is included with the M-Sport price, but the Luxury and Modern Lines require the Premium Package in the 528i by the Ordering Guide.

And then when you add M-Sport and Premium Package the ZPP price still is $2600.

Go figure.
Thanks Technic! It makes me even more happy that I didn't want Premium Pkg ( which my dealer had to confirm 4times before they placed my order because they couldn't believe anybody wouldn't want it!).