2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Used Buying Guide

06-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Used Buying Guide

- Walk around the car and check the paint. paint should have minimal swirl marks and feel smooth/waxy to the touch.

- firmly push down on the front of the car to let the suspension compress. when the struts rebound, they should pop back to their normal position immediately. if it wobbles or bounces around a little before settling, either the struts or things like ball joints, control arms, bushings etc. are worn

- Here is an example of what good brakes used smoothly and carefully should look like:

if they look scored or rougher than this, the owner drives aggressively. if the outer edges of the rotor is exessively worn, the car needs new brakes. you can peek through the rim, looking in between the caliper and rotor to see how much pad is left.

- excessive wear and marks on the outer edge of the tires = aggressive cornering. cracks could also mean this, or simply old and worn tires.

- exhaust tips. overly dirty exhaust tips = aggressive driving. could also mean oil consumption. here is an example:

if the soot goes out the exhaust tips like that is an example. if you smell burnt oil through the exhaust when revving the engine, or inside the car during hard acceleration. this is an obvious sign.

- Make sure you hear the car start up from a full cold-start at least once before buying. the engine should sound nice and smooth with the hood up with only the injector ticking present. open the oil cap (when the engine is off) and look on the inside. oil should look clean with no gunk or crusty build-up. look inside the engine through the oil filler neck. there should not be any dirty buildup on any of the engine parts (particularly the valve springs)

- If you are looking at the 528i 4 cylinder, make sure the engine does not sound like this:

that whining sound = timing chain guide failure. expensive replacement.

- when test driving the car, transmission should go into P, R, D smoothly and without any weird noises. delayed, rough, hard shifting, particularly if it only happens with one or two specific gears = transmission fluid change and solenoid replacement is needed. transmission whining sound in Drive = transmission failure. whining when in reverse is normal.

- make sure you do a full throttle pull all the way to redline to ensure there is no misfiring or weird hesitation.

- bring a comprehensive BMW scanner and scan the car

-preferably if higher mileage, have a mechanic lift the car up and inspect everything before buying.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      06-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Soot is a byproduct of direct injection.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Soot is a byproduct of direct injection.
that's correct. a little bit is normal, but excessive amounts of it is something to look out for. especially on the 528i models that have a vacuum flap on the inner exhaust tip, if that one is dirty that means the owner does heavy acceleration often. usually the outer one (that is always open) remains more dirty.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

If you use someone else's thread verbatim you should give them credit.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
If you use someone else's thread verbatim you should give them credit.
I made my own thread verbatim. I did not use anyone elses posts or information to make this thread (except for the pictures and video)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

I'm sorry maybe this guy copied yours.
Or are you the same guy over there?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d+buyers+guide
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Big Mexican Women