2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Just Venting: Why can't I order M Sport in Deep Sea Blue ?

07-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #45
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
How'd you get to drive the Z4 35is, at a dealer or a friend's ? Since you enjoy driving manuals like I do, was it tough for you as well to decide that your F10 is going to be an automatic, when the car is one of the only luxury sport sedans on the market even available with a stick ?
I love manuals, but it wasn't a tough choice at all. My previous car was a manual and for day to day driving it was a pain. Nothing worse than a manual when you're sitting in 40 minutes of traffic on a causeway. Manual to me belongs in a fun weekend car like an Ariel Atom or your Z3. Not in a daily driver. Plus the sport auto is fun - gives a video game feeling to the shifts - which I do enjoy from time to time.

Quote:
Yes, I could certainly keep my Z3 when I buy the 535i, and I'm leaning that way. I bought it for an absolute steal of a price from a neighbor who was the original owner, but had been keeping it parked on the street under a car cover for more than a year without driving it once. I bought it for $4,000 (!), put another $2,500 into it (new convertible top, $500 Vanos oil line repair and new oil filter housing gasket, seat-rail repair to prevent movement, some ding removal, repainted the bumper, engine detail, antenna repair, new steering wheel, etc. - but now it's in great shape, and it runs smooth and strong).
At that price point I would keep it if I was you.

Quote:
By the way, today I saw three F10's on the road: Dark Graphite, Black Sapphire, and Jet Black. I've come to the realization that 95% of all F10's on the road look boring. In fact, I have NEVER seen a single Deep Sea Blue F10 in person, either on the road or even at a dealer ! (I've seen pictures online of course). The more I think about, the more I'm leaning towards paying the damn $5,500 for Le Mans Blue just to add some excitement out there. Sad.
I do agree with you. Jeremy Clarkson once made fun of BMW, showing an aerial shot of their distribution center in the UK. He pointed out that their cars are a sea of gray and blacks. How dull. Then he pulled out the brochure for the 7 series and pointed out the have several shades of black, several shades of gray, 1 shade of blue (there is another blue but it looks black), and white. He called it Monochrome.

I'm now leaning to switching from Imperial Blue to Space Gray. Imperial Blue doesn't look good from a distance, or on overcast days. Only looks good in bright direct sunlight. Space Gray seems at least sporty, and the color compliments the shadow line trim nicely.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #46
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 535i, '08 750i, '12 K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman75 View Post
I do agree with you. Jeremy Clarkson once made fun of BMW, showing an aerial shot of their distribution center in the UK. He pointed out that their cars are a sea of gray and blacks. How dull. Then he pulled out the brochure for the 7 series and pointed out the have several shades of black, several shades of gray, 1 shade of blue (there is another blue but it looks black), and white. He called it Monochrome.

I'm now leaning to switching from Imperial Blue to Space Gray. Imperial Blue doesn't look good from a distance, or on overcast days. Only looks good in bright direct sunlight. Space Gray seems at least sporty, and the color compliments the shadow line trim nicely.
I'm always amazed how BMW sales brochures prominently feature blue cars, oftentimes on the cover (see the 745, 750, and 5-series brochures), while so few customers actually buy blue BMW's. BTW, I think you're being generous in calling Space Grey a "color" ! It's just another shade of B & W.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #47
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm always amazed how BMW sales brochures prominently feature blue cars, oftentimes on the cover (see the 745, 750, and 5-series brochures), while so few customers actually buy blue BMW's. BTW, I think you're being generous in calling Space Grey a "color" ! It's just another shade of B & W.
I know. I'm going to have another gray colorless car. I wonder what moron thought Imperial Blue was the logical shade for the M-Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #48
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman75 View Post
I know. I'm going to have another gray colorless car. I wonder what moron thought Imperial Blue was the logical shade for the M-Sport package.
You and I understand the beauty of a REAL blue car, as opposed to dark black-blue (aka Imperial Blue), but we're definitely in the minority. BMW sells 10 Imperial Blue cars for every 1 Deep Sea Blue. When I was looking for a pre-owned 2008 750i, I didn't want Monaco Blue, which is very similar to Imperial Blue and is way too dark for my tastes, so I was looking for a Michigan Blue car, a light blue very similar to the Steel Blue that was on my 2001 740i. Car after car on Autotrader.com and BMWUSA was Imperial blue; Michigan Blues were few and far between. Eventually I found a car that was perfect in every way - with the Sport Package, short-wheelbase, low miles, all the luxury options, light colored interior (Oyster, although I would have preferred beige), great price - but the exterior was Monaco Blue. My wife said she didn't have any problem with the color, so I ended up buying it for her (to replace her 2001 Jag S-Type in Mistral Blue, a beautiful color for that car). As you know, I'm now looking at the 535i, M-Sport, in a great blue. Still looking.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #49
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

Possible explanation for why there is no DSB M-sport...

Apparently they have a "30th Anniversary Edition" F10 that comes in DSB M-Sport... perhaps they are trying to make this "special build" unique...

http://www.bmwse.com/bmw-528i-30th-a...ased-in-japan/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #50
j3o3t3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

well...dont know what goes on @ Munich HQ, but F10 in deep sea blue would look great!.

Miss my E60 MSport DSB
Attached Images

Prior BMW's 2011 550iMSport, 2008 5501MSport,
2005 5451, 1993 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #51
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
In the end I got an Imperial Blue M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #52
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
I'm not sure what an SE model is. Is that the same as the Sport Package in the USA ? Your car certainly looks like an M Sport model, albeit with chrome around the windows instead of shadowline trim. But in the US you could have ordered a Monaco Blue E60 with the M Sport (or the DSB with M-Sport) so could you please help me understand what you achieved by doing what you did ? The suspension is the same on the M Sport as the non-M-Sport in the US, so that's why I'm confused.
Hi TunedIn, kind of late response from me but better than never, the SE model is the comfort option, in Ireland, UK and many other EU corners, the main reason for me was to get over not going for the M sport when ordering my car new, I guess my head did beat my heart back then the SE is some 5k cheaper than the M sport.
For differences, with the M you get match lower sport suspension with run flat tires as standard, in Ireland it was simply a big sacrifice on comfort (on the F10 no longer an issue).
I also went for 19” rims with normal tires so managed to even improve comfort as well as looks coming from 17” run flat tires.
The cost well slightly more expensive compare to an original order, but it somehow felt like new car certainly from the outside.
On the basis that I ordered a F10 M sport in less than a year after the conversion, it was a costly one, but I guess decision made by hart are simply that, I have no regret going for it simply because to me the E60 m sport is by far more aggressive and better looking than the F10 one I currently have.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #53
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesf View Post
Possible explanation for why there is no DSB M-sport...

Apparently they have a "30th Anniversary Edition" F10 that comes in DSB M-Sport... perhaps they are trying to make this "special build" unique...

http://www.bmwse.com/bmw-528i-30th-a...ased-in-japan/
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about ! Thanks for the tip. I want this car... now I just need to find out if any of these 200 might be coming to the US. Also, if the price is crazy high due to the limited availability of the 30th anniversary badging, it might make more sense for me to just pay the $5,000 special color ordering fee, and in that case, I'll get Le Mans blue, and create my own limited edition of 1 !
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #54
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
In the end I got an Imperial Blue M-Sport
Thanks for the update. So how do you like that color now that you bought it ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #55
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3o3t3 View Post
well...dont know what goes on @ Munich HQ, but F10 in deep sea blue would look great!.

Miss my E60 MSport DSB
Your E60 M-Sport in DSB is (was?) absolutely gorgeous. That's exactly the car I would have bought, DSB with M-Sport, although personally I would have opted for the beige interior. I see you live in San Diego like me (Del Mar)... maybe it's a SoCal thing !
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #56
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Hi TunedIn, kind of late response from me but better than never, the SE model is the comfort option, in Ireland, UK and many other EU corners, the main reason for me was to get over not going for the M sport when ordering my car new, I guess my head did beat my heart back then the SE is some 5k cheaper than the M sport.
For differences, with the M you get match lower sport suspension with run flat tires as standard, in Ireland it was simply a big sacrifice on comfort (on the F10 no longer an issue).
I also went for 19” rims with normal tires so managed to even improve comfort as well as looks coming from 17” run flat tires.
The cost well slightly more expensive compare to an original order, but it somehow felt like new car certainly from the outside.
On the basis that I ordered a F10 M sport in less than a year after the conversion, it was a costly one, but I guess decision made by hart are simply that, I have no regret going for it simply because to me the E60 m sport is by far more aggressive and better looking than the F10 one I currently have.
Martin - Thanks for getting back to me and explaining what an SE model means in Ireland. Okay, so in Ireland SE means comfort option, and in Japan SE means Special Edition, as in 30th Anniversary DSB w/ M-Sport ! Could you explain a little more about why your E60 (even with the SE comfort option) was still more aggressive than your 2011 F10 ? Do you mean in appearance or in driving characteristics / performance ? Do you regret selling the E60 and buying the F10 ? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #57
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Martin - Thanks for getting back to me and explaining what an SE model means in Ireland. Okay, so in Ireland SE means comfort option, and in Japan SE means Special Edition, as in 30th Anniversary DSB w/ M-Sport ! Could you explain a little more about why your E60 (even with the SE comfort option) was still more aggressive than your 2011 F10 ? Do you mean in appearance or in driving characteristics / performance ? Do you regret selling the E60 and buying the F10 ? Thanks.
In appearance of course, style wise, for the driving side well the F10 is a big jump forward in many areas, shame BMW opted for the electric power steering, I also made the switch to the auto gear box with my F10, with the pedals and all, I am afraid the manual gear box (my ex E60) is by far more fun.

When down to regrets, well not really I do like my F10 its a far more advanced car, and the quality of the interior is a big jump, still a good looking car, shame the M sport package front is not the same as the one with the M5, I like the front end of the M5 a lot, the air intake works better with the F10 kidney grille. What’s your opinion when down to comparing the E60 with F10, style wise?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #58
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In appearance of course, style wise, for the driving side well the F10 is a big jump forward in many areas, shame BMW opted for the electric power steering, I also made the switch to the auto gear box with my F10, with the pedals and all, I am afraid the manual gear box (my ex E60) is by far more fun.

When down to regrets, well not really I do like my F10 its a far more advanced car, and the quality of the interior is a big jump, still a good looking car, shame the M sport package front is not the same as the one with the M5, I like the front end of the M5 a lot, the air intake works better with the F10 kidney grille. What’s your opinion when down to comparing the E60 with F10, style wise?
Well, here's the thing... I never liked the look of the E60 5-series, from the first time I saw it. The line on the trunk from the side view that makes it look like the trunk can slide right off the car, the taillights with a forced angle to them giving them a slanted look from the rear, the front headlights having too much "flame-surfacing", etc. Just didn't work for me. EXCEPT when the M-Sport package came out, especially in DSB, made the car look 100% better, to the point that I considered buying one to replace the 740i I owned at the time. Never did, though.

With the restyled F10 5-series, overall I like the basic design much better. It's a little bland perhaps, but I'll take a little bland over forced "edgy" styling any day. HOWEVER, the M-Sport package, while I like it a lot, isn't as dramatic an improvement on the F10 as it was on the E60. The thing I love about the F10 M-Sport is the 19" Light alloy Double-spoke wheels (style 351M). These look like a modern interpretation of the classic M-parallel spoke wheel that was exclusive to the 740i Sport Package for several years. The front air dam is an improvement, the rear I could keep from the non-M-Sport and be happy, the lower side cladding flares out a little bit, should be more. Bottom line, I want this car, but in a color that pops like DSB, and that isn't available with the M-Sport package. I'm going to see if the 30th Anniversary Special Edition the comes to the US, and if not, I'm leaning towards just giving in and paying the $5,000 special color charge for Le Mans blue.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #59
j3o3t3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Quote:
Your E60 M-Sport in DSB is (was?) absolutely gorgeous. That's exactly the car I would have bought, DSB with M-Sport, although personally I would have opted for the beige interior. I see you live in San Diego like me (Del Mar)... maybe it's a SoCal thing !
Hi neighbor, I live in Carmel Valley, some of those PICS were taken @ Grand Del Mar, we live just up the hill. C-Ya around !

Prior BMW's 2011 550iMSport, 2008 5501MSport,
2005 5451, 1993 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #60
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3o3t3 View Post
Hi neighbor, I live in Carmel Valley, some of those PICS were taken @ Grand Del Mar, we live just up the hill. C-Ya around !
Great, I'll keep my eyes open for an Alpine White 550i with the M-Sport package. And in about 3-6 months, if you see a one-of-a-kind Le Mans Blue 535i w/ M-Sport roaming the streets, that'll be me !
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #61
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Martin - P.S. - Why didn't you get a manual trans with your F10 ? Do you regret having gone with the 8-speed auto w/ paddles, since the manual E60 was "by far more fun" ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #62
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Martin - P.S. - Why didn't you get a manual trans with your F10 ? Do you regret having gone with the 8-speed auto w/ paddles, since the manual E60 was "by far more fun" ?
Well you only realize this after a good amount of driving, test driving the auto felt good, and still good, but not as good as a manual, my F10 was in for couple of days due to some issue, and got a 3 series manual as a replacement, and it made me realize how fun the manual is. my wife switch also to an auto with her new X3 from a 320d, the same conclusion, so now the plan is we get a 2nd hand 3 series with manual gear box on top of our auto cars, just to get more fun out of driving from time to time.
Maybe this down to my F10 being my 1st auto car, and the fact that I am in the country side with 90% of my journeys on B roads, I spent 15 years in London, and for that kind of place the Auto certainly outperform the manual with all.

I am surprise about your opinion on the E60 style, when your current 7 series style is taking the E60 to an extreme, (Chris’s works), what’s surprise me more your comment on the 5 boot, looking at the 7 series it’s even worst on it, not being part of the car. I agree with you on 1st time feeling, this is one reason why I like BMW’s style, when 1st out they looks like a disaster, but with time they simply grow on you, and the older the better they look, something I do not find with Audi’s.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #63
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am surprise about your opinion on the E60 style, when your current 7 series style is taking the E60 to an extreme, (Chris’s works), what’s surprise me more your comment on the 5 boot, looking at the 7 series it’s even worst on it, not being part of the car. I agree with you on 1st time feeling, this is one reason why I like BMW’s style, when 1st out they looks like a disaster, but with time they simply grow on you, and the older the better they look, something I do not find with Audi’s.
Good points. For 6 years I drove a 2001 740i (short wheelbase E38) with the Sport Package, in Steel Blue with beige interior. This is by far the nicest looking sedan BMW or any manufacturer has ever made, in my opinion. The 2002 E65 introduced the ugly Bangle Butt to the world, and the entire car looked overweight and bloated. The 2006 styling changes lessened the ugliness of the trunk, but it's still not a very attractive car. HOWEVER, we needed a new car, so we bought a 2008 750i with the sport package in Monaco blue, Oyster interior. It's my wife's car, not my daily driver (I drive it when we go out on weekends). The proportions of the E60 5-series are better, it doesn't have that overweight look that the E65 has, but it also has been beaten by the Chris Bangle ugly stick.

Regarding your comment that the Chris Bangle BMW's look like a disaster at first but then you get used to them... I know exactly what you mean, however, that doesn't mean that they become attractive, good-looking cars. I've realized that although an unattractive car design can certainly "grow" on you over time and you learn to appreciate it, a truly beautiful automobile design looks gorgeous right on day one. This was true for my 2001 740i, the 2000-2003 M5, the 2012 650i (as opposed to the ugly Bangle-ized predecessor 645i), E90 3-series coupe, etc. If it needs to "grow" on you in order to look good, then it's not a good design, and you simply got used to seeing the bad design all over the place. IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #64
TunedIn
BMW Car and Bike Fan
United_States
Rep

Unavailable 5-Series w/ M-Sport pkg prominently featured on BMW's website !

Click the following link, and then click on the 5-series button:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ive_sales.aspx

Well what do you know... to promote the "BMW Mission to Drive Sales Event" BMW pictures a totally unavailable color combination, either Le Mans Blue or Deep Sea Blue with the M Sport Package ! WTF ? I KNOW this isn't the 30th anniversary Japan-only DSB car, as the Japan car has chrome window trim and different wheels. So what gives, BMW ? Why do you visualize the color I crave for on my 535i M-Sport, knowing it looks fantastic and making it the marquee on the website, yet you don't allow this car to actually be built ?? Just adds to my frustration.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #65
hk328
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Base

Quote:

Well what do you know... to promote the "BMW Mission to Drive Sales Event" BMW pictures a totally unavailable color combination, either Le Mans Blue or Deep Sea Blue with the M Sport Package ! WTF ? I KNOW this isn't the 30th anniversary Japan-only DSB car, as the Japan car has chrome window trim and different wheels. So what gives, BMW ? Why do you visualize the color I crave for on my 535i M-Sport, knowing it looks fantastic and making it the marquee on the website, yet you don't allow this car to actually be built ?? Just adds to my frustration.
It looks more le mans blue. I too wish le mans blue was available on f10
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #66
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

Quote:

Well what do you know... to promote the "BMW Mission to Drive Sales Event" BMW pictures a totally unavailable color combination, either Le Mans Blue or Deep Sea Blue with the M Sport Package !
That is annoying and taunting. The same un-orderable blue M-sport F10 is on the front landing page staring us in the face.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ontodrive.aspx
Appreciate 0