2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Outlet is not working!!

04-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
Kai_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Outlet is not working!!

Just got my car exactly 1 month ago, and today discovered that my outlet is not working because when I plug in my iPhone charger there was no electricity going into it...what can be wrong? I'm taking my car in bright and early, do you guys think I need to make an appointment? Also I use sport mode today and the car seem sluggish, could that be anything? Also when I rev up my car during park the car shakes or rattle a little is that normal? Btw it's a f10 535... Thanks please let me know what to do and what to look for tomorrow during my experience at the dealer...this is my first BMW..coming from a nexus..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

First, relax!

Make sure the plug is seated all the way into the socket. Pull it out and push it in.

Next, reboot your iPhone to make sure the charger logic is not hung.

It could be a simple fuse if the above does not work or your cable could be bad,

Don't rev the engine in park. All of that energy has to go somewhere, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidluvsole View Post
Just got my car exactly 1 month ago, and today discovered that my outlet is not working because when I plug in my iPhone charger there was no electricity going into it...what can be wrong? I'm taking my car in bright and early, do you guys think I need to make an appointment? Also I use sport mode today and the car seem sluggish, could that be anything? Also when I rev up my car during park the car shakes or rattle a little is that normal? Btw it's a f10 535... Thanks please let me know what to do and what to look for tomorrow during my experience at the dealer...this is my first BMW..coming from a nexus..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Also I use sport mode today and the car seem sluggish, could that be anything? Also when I rev up my car during park the car shakes or rattle a little is that normal? Btw it's a f10 535
If the car is only 1 month old, you should be observing the correct break-in procedure as per the driver's handbook and that specifically mentions maximum RPM limits.
As regards sport mode, it depends on how you have it configured - from the menu, you can select chassis only, drivetrain only or both. The former will alter steering response and body roll (if you have DHP), whereas the latter two will also sharpen throttle and gearbox response plus limiting the box to 7 gears. On my 535d I have sport configured to chassis only and when I want the lot I select sport+ which really emphasises the difference, but that's just personal preference.
I didn't start playing with these modes in earnest until the car was well and truly broken in at around 4k miles and I think my conservatism is evidenced by the oil level, now at 7k miles, being exactly where it was when I took delivery - still on the top notch on the dipstick, without having had to add a drop.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Your comment relating reduced oil consumption to a proper break in procedure could not be more relevant. Not following proper break in without question can create an oil burner.

The most important aspect in breaking in the BMW appears to be avoid staying at a constant speed during break in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Quote:
Also I use sport mode today and the car seem sluggish, could that be anything? Also when I rev up my car during park the car shakes or rattle a little is that normal? Btw it's a f10 535
If the car is only 1 month old, you should be observing the correct break-in procedure as per the driver's handbook and that specifically mentions maximum RPM limits.
As regards sport mode, it depends on how you have it configured - from the menu, you can select chassis only, drivetrain only or both. The former will alter steering response and body roll (if you have DHP), whereas the latter two will also sharpen throttle and gearbox response plus limiting the box to 7 gears. On my 535d I have sport configured to chassis only and when I want the lot I select sport which really emphasises the difference, but that's just personal preference.
I didn't start playing with these modes in earnest until the car was well and truly broken in at around 4k miles and I think my conservatism is evidenced by the oil level, now at 7k miles, being exactly where it was when I took delivery - still on the top notch on the dipstick, without having had to add a drop.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The most important aspect in breaking in the BMW appears to be avoid staying at a constant speed during break in.
Quite so and applicable to any car, the RPM should be varied as much as possible within the defined limit as should the engine loading, but at all times keeping well below it being laboured. As you correctly say, long periods at a constant RPM with light loading will be detrimental as it can cause bore glazing, which will result in oil burning.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Kai_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Well it was just a fuse, they replaced it...has about bresking in my car, I have about 2300 miles on it before I did sport mode, I haven't redline the car the highest rev I go up to is about 5, and only once in sport mode where I almost reline, and I driven it at varied speed the highest was 100 gradually, I haven't punch it yet, I'm still waiting a little more..
Appreciate 0