2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 351M Wheel Colour Change due to brake dust settling into original colour paint.

02-26-2017, 04:20 AM   #1
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi folks

Just a quick question!

I usually wash my car regularly, however with two young children under 3 years I don't get much time to wash my car. Hence, with the car being washed once every 4-6 weeks and continued winter driving including Christmas motorway trips to family and general dual carriageway driving with braking regularly during these types of driving, my wheel had gone 'dark' with lots of brake dust settled on. Even after washing a couple of times, speckles of brake dust had embedded into the paint of the alloy.

Is an iron x cleaner able to eradicate thes dark specs of brake dust

Or I had a thought and fancied a change of wheel colour

Has anyone changed their wheel colour?

I was contemplating a gloss black due to it hiding any visible build up of brake dust.

I have seen some x5 m sports in the dealership showroom and they had gloss black wheels as did some m3 and m4 models. They were all alpine white or shades of. My f10 is alpine white hence it got me thinking about gloss black wheels.

Has anyone seen it done any wheel colour changes on the f10. Would be interested to hear your story and view your colour of wheels.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. the wife is adamant in retaining the executive and factory appearance of the car with the original 351M wheel colour.

Regards

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

If by "washing" you mean shampoo and water, then a proper wheel cleaner will do a much better job. If used regularly it will remove all the black bits and keep the wheels pristine. However the longer you leave the brake dust on, the harder it is to remove. If it is very bad indeed you may indeed need to strip and repaint the wheels. Once the wheels are clean (or repainted) using a wheel-sealant helps stop them getting so dirty next time. I use Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner Plus (full effect) and Autoglym Wheel Protector. Both are easy to use and worth a try to start with.

If you can't get them clean, take the car to a detailer who will be able to use much harsher chemicals/techniques and still be way cheaper than a wheel refurbishment.

If the detailer says they are beyond recovery, take them to a refurber who will give you lots of options of colours and finishes. I had a car with quite dark gun-metal wheels which was great at hiding brake dust because no-one is quite sure just how dark they are supposed to be. I'm not sure gloss-black will be an easy colour to keep clean because they will go ungloss very quickly.

If your wife is so keen on the original wheels, why not get her some wheel cleaner and a brush as a birthday present.
Appreciate 2
Sp12348.50
Edinburra546.50
      02-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
SEF
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d lci

Try some Bilt Hamber Auto-Wheel.
Might initially need two applications but is very effective
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      02-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #4
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEF View Post
I second that, it's a fantastic product. I struggled to get my wheels completely clean when I swapped them over and tried everything including a clay bar. Now, a couple of applications of Auto-Wheel, using a brush in the areas that don't normally get cleaned (back of the spokes) and they're like new again.
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      03-01-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
If by "washing" you mean shampoo and water, then a proper wheel cleaner will do a much better job. If used regularly it will remove all the black bits and keep the wheels pristine. However the longer you leave the brake dust on, the harder it is to remove. If it is very bad indeed you may indeed need to strip and repaint the wheels. Once the wheels are clean (or repainted) using a wheel-sealant helps stop them getting so dirty next time. I use Sonax Extreme Wheel Cleaner Plus (full effect) and Autoglym Wheel Protector. Both are easy to use and worth a try to start with.

If you can't get them clean, take the car to a detailer who will be able to use much harsher chemicals/techniques and still be way cheaper than a wheel refurbishment.

If the detailer says they are beyond recovery, take them to a refurber who will give you lots of options of colours and finishes. I had a car with quite dark gun-metal wheels which was great at hiding brake dust because no-one is quite sure just how dark they are supposed to be. I'm not sure gloss-black will be an easy colour to keep clean because they will go ungloss very quickly.

If your wife is so keen on the original wheels, why not get her some wheel cleaner and a brush as a birthday present.
I am using Sonax Wheel Cleaner and Poorboys Wheel Protector but recently just a shampoo and wash as you said due to the time constraints and it has not eradicated the embedded dust. I will look into the extreme.
As for the wife, I've told her if she likes the wheels silver she should help me clean them but that's another story lol. The response from her wasn't in my favour.
Thanks for your help sir.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:44 AM   #6
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your help and reply

I will look into this product as well as Martin2c has had good results with this as well. I have the BMW alloy wheel brush to get right into the Wheels and hopefully this should work well and using the auto clean eradicate the dust embedded.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:47 AM   #7
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Quote:
I second that, it's a fantastic product. I struggled to get my wheels completely clean when I swapped them over and tried everything including a clay bar. Now, a couple of applications of Auto-Wheel, using a brush in the areas that don't normally get cleaned (back of the spokes) and they're like new again.
Hi Martin

I used a clay bar also and like yourself had no joy. I will look into this auto wheel clean product and apply with the alloy wheel brush.

I'm glad you managed to get the wheels completely clean so I will definitely look into this product and appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks

Sp
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi folks

Just a quick question!

I usually wash my car regularly, however with two young children under 3 years I don't get much time to wash my car. Hence, with the car being washed once every 4-6 weeks and continued winter driving including Christmas motorway trips to family and general dual carriageway driving with braking regularly during these types of driving, my wheel had gone 'dark' with lots of brake dust settled on. Even after washing a couple of times, speckles of brake dust had embedded into the paint of the alloy.

Is an iron x cleaner able to eradicate thes dark specs of brake dust

Or I had a thought and fancied a change of wheel colour

Has anyone changed their wheel colour?

I was contemplating a gloss black due to it hiding any visible build up of brake dust.

I have seen some x5 m sports in the dealership showroom and they had gloss black wheels as did some m3 and m4 models. They were all alpine white or shades of. My f10 is alpine white hence it got me thinking about gloss black wheels.

Has anyone seen it done any wheel colour changes on the f10. Would be interested to hear your story and view your colour of wheels.

Thanks in advance!

Ps. the wife is adamant in retaining the executive and factory appearance of the car with the original 351M wheel colour.

Regards

Sp
I had my wheels painted from new Orbit Grey, they look great.

03-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

WOW!!

They look amazing

Are they powder coated or painted and did you have them done by the dealership?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
WOW!!

They look amazing

Thanks
ELMS Bedford had them done before I picked the car up, cost me £256:00 from memory, well worth it. IMO.
      03-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #11
Mariusz
Rep
Drives: G30 530d Msport

Try one of Ceramic brake pads :
http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/d...ic-brake-pads/
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #12
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Hi Martin

I used a clay bar also and like yourself had no joy. I will look into this auto wheel clean product and apply with the alloy wheel brush.

I'm glad you managed to get the wheels completely clean so I will definitely look into this product and appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks

Sp
You're welcome, I hope it works. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      03-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
WOW!!

They look amazing

Thanks
ELMS Bedford had them done before I picked the car up, cost me £256:00 from memory, well worth it. IMO.
£256 is a very good price and the finish looks factory spec to be honest. That's a cracking deal!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariusz View Post
Hi
Thanks for your reply!

This products seems ground breaking! I've heard of ceramic brakes but never pads! Are these available for use on the f10? Are you using these pads because they seem really good in terms of function and performance after viewing the website.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Sp
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #15
Mariusz
Rep

Hi
Yes Im have them on F10 530d used before TEXTAR e-pad (ceramic) and now second set change for ats ceramic (need to replace disk). They are not real ceramic (its some mix ceramic and somthing ) but its giving me on front wheels the same amount of dust like on the rear wheels. Thats mean a lot less than the normal one.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:57 AM   #16
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi
Yes Im have them on F10 530d used before TEXTAR e-pad (ceramic) and now second set change for ats ceramic (need to replace disk). They are not real ceramic (its some mix ceramic and somthing ) but its giving me on front wheels the same amount of dust like on the rear wheels. Thats mean a lot less than the normal one.
Hi

Which discs need to be used when using these pads? And also how do you find the stopping power and durability of the pads. Are they still able to work with the sensors to show the miles left on the idrive. Did you change only the front to ats or all four pads and discs?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:49 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
£256 is a very good price and the finish looks factory spec to be honest. That's a cracking deal!
Thanks they do look factory TBH, I am glad I checked the wheel torques though they were sooo tight) I took all the wheels off to check and protect them and re-torque.
      03-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #18
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi John

What is the method to check wheel torques?

I regularly have my winter and summer wheels changed on my car twice a year and wonder if the dealership is using the correct torque settings.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #19
Mariusz
Rep

Quote:
Hi

Which discs need to be used when using these pads? And also how do you find the stopping power and durability of the pads. Are they still able to work with the sensors to show the miles left on the idrive. Did you change only the front to ats or all four pads and discs?

Thanks in advance
use them with normal disc- they direct replacment for your pads , working with sensors. Didnt notice any difrent in stopping power /durability .Work like normal/bmw one for me.
I put them on front axel only , no need for rear in my opinion ( low dust anyway).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi John

What is the method to check wheel torques?

I regularly have my winter and summer wheels changed on my car twice a year and wonder if the dealership is using the correct torque settings.

Thanks
They are comfortable @ 140Nm, you can jack up the wheel so it just touch's the ground slack them off and re tighten them to 140Nm.
Sp12348.50
      03-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
use them with normal disc- they direct replacment for your pads , working with sensors. Didnt notice any difrent in stopping power /durability .Work like normal/bmw one for me.
I put them on front axel only , no need for rear in my opinion ( low dust anyway).
Hi, what is the cost of the fronts please, thanks
      03-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I added these 100mm Pipes from Flee bay, I like them.