2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 Headlights/Rear Light Upgrade!!!

01-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
This seller swears blind the his bulbs work with F10 and only a select number of cars with fussy canbus systems check it out. Seem worth a buy?

http://goo.gl/jzh3f2
They may well be error free, but they won't be flicker free.

Why not do the coding, all you need is a laptop and an £18 cable. It's pretty easy if you have any idea about using computers.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #24
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
This seller swears blind the his bulbs work with F10 and only a select number of cars with fussy canbus systems check it out. Seem worth a buy?

http://goo.gl/jzh3f2
First looks they seem ok, less that half the price than the ones Bimmian has:

http://www.bimmian.co.uk/WeissLicht-...W-F10-5-Series

Someone at work has an F10 LCI with the Bimmian bulbs and they work fine with no errors.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #25
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I did not realise how easy the indicator bulbs are to change through the wheel arch but it comes out on the cap so you don't have to mess around inside the wheel.

I've ordered the ones of eBay (indicator bulbs) if they don't work they will go back the seller says if they flicker send them back or if they look rubbish so I'm doing that is the WeissLicht bulbs are a rip off and look the same as the ones above. My Enet cable hasn't arrived yet so I can't code yet.

Ill be ordering my HID kit and fitting it at the end of this month, the seller promises hes fitted it on 3 F10 5 series and they've worked no flickering or errors he says he has designed it to work with the F10 so theres hope as he said if it don't work send it back. 2 Year warranty on the kit is good aswell. He sent me some up close photos of the bulbs today so I could get an idea how they fit, also hes stocking 5000k now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #26
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Bimmian do HID kits now for the F10?

Link here : http://goo.gl/abVFGl

What is the difference between Mtech and non Mtech? also the warning cancellers will I need them I take it I will as I'm not doing any coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:10 PM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

What is the difference between Mtech and non Mtech? also the warning cancellers will I need them I take it I will as I'm not doing any coding.
Difference of mtech & non mtech in what context?

Yes you will need the cancellers if you're not coding. Would be a neater install if you coded instead though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #28
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke

My understanding is that Mtech means M Sport and non Mtech means non M Sport models...

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #29
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85
Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke

My understanding is that Mtech means M Sport and non Mtech means non M Sport models...
I thought so. Surely no difference between the two but mine is MSport so I'll guess I'll get MSport. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #30
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:

Difference of mtech & non mtech in what context?

Yes you will need the cancellers if you're not coding. Would be a neater install if you coded instead though.
I've read on another thread that a guy coded his car, and he couldn't get them to stop flickering without the error cancellers so ended up fitting them aswell. Side indicators on order if they don't work I'll send them back get the ones of Bimmian same for the HID kit u think.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #31
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

So today I was surprised to find my CREE indicator bulbs had turned up of eBay. Link in the thread.

I am not going to lie to fit these seems easy but it was agony, to get the bulb out is like a small twist cover but its just so stiff it took me nearly 3 hours and 5 cups of tea to do both bulbs I cut all my hands open it was hell !! After I did the first I switched the car on, put the hazards on, full beam, side lights, indicator on. At that stage I had one Halogen bulb and one CREE and it worked no errors or flickering. Then I moved onto changing the other bulb after what seemed like a life time I had them both fitted and to my surprise and shock they're working no errors or flickering (however only time will tell on this) for now fingers crossed they continue this way.

Youtube video link (nightime one to follow) : http://goo.gl/uWcgos

If you do attempt this mod its easier to get a garage to do it on a ramp, they will probably charge you £15 and save you hours of misery. Its simple in theory to change but its not as if your bulb cap is as stiff as mine was good luck!! Its a worth while mod, and I'm not boasting just stating that these bulbs are half the price and look better than the Bimmian bulbs if you compare the 2 videos when I post mine on the thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by youknowluke; 01-31-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #32
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It's definitely a big improvement not having the orange glow in the indicator reflectors! I bought the Phillips silver vision bulbs to get rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #33
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It's definitely a big improvement not having the orange glow in the indicator reflectors! I bought the Phillips silver vision bulbs to get rid of it.
Certainly is pal.
I'm testing them out properly tonight !! but with rear indicators, repeaters and front indicators now LED on my car, that's better than the LCI's standard Xenons as even they have horrible halogen side indicators If these work fine then I'm going to be buying the reverse bulb from the same seller. I couldn't believe how much brighter the LED was though, it will be much better for visibility at night people can't complain they didn't see you indicate!! Just need that HID kit now

Ill post night photos tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #34
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I've got LED front fog & reversing bulbs on there way to me, looking forward to them matching my xenons and DRL's!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #35
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Took the car out in the dark last night for an hour and no errors or flickering fingers crossed it stays that way.

The light output from these indicator bulbs is superb, in terms of safety you've got added visibility of your indication. I have to even say that the output seems better than the bimmian bulbs that are nearly double the price. I'm really impressed.

The look of the headlight is so much better even with the dipped beam on at night it makes the Phillips white vision bulbs I've got look more white. With a HID kit in place these headlights will be better than the LCI standard xenons with dismal incandescent indication bulbs.

Stay tune for more mods to come after holiday when it's warmer
I'll post night pics of these LED bulbs soon!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #36
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Update :

No problems with the indicators still going good!!

Now its HID kit time, I've been chatting with this bloke for months from eBay about the kit he supplies and he says he's fitted it to loads of 5 series F10s and they've all worked without resistors just his smart canbus kit. So I've bought one of eBay as he promised me a full refund if it flickers or codes up on the dash and it has a 2 year warranty. I've got 5000k, and its due to be fitted some people I know that own a VAG garage. I've told them to fit one before drilling the dust cover or anything and just make sure it works and doesn't flicker or anything then the same for the other side. Make sure it doesn't code up on the dash and all lights function normal. Anything else I should get them to check before properly installing it? If it codes or flickers I said just take it off and it will go straight back.

Is there anything specific I should ask them to test like turn the lights on and off over 5 minutes 10 times or something like that, or should they just do it from the start? or should I tell them to leave them on etc any info would be handy?

Is there any coding I can do if they do flicker or play up coding on the dash fingers crossed they don't?

I've attached the photos he sent me there was more of various F10s he fitted the kit too with different colour temps.

I've also attached photos of the kit itself it seems like good quality but I won't speak to soon.

Updates will follow
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #37
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

When I fitted mine first time without resistors and with coding, it worked fine.
Well I thought that I will turn on the xenon for 10-15 minutes to see if error appears.
And yes it did after 5-7 minutes despite of coding.
Good luck with the project.
      02-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #38
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
When I fitted mine first time without resistors and with coding, it worked fine.
Well I thought that I will turn on the xenon for 10-15 minutes to see if error appears.
And yes it did after 5-7 minutes despite of coding.
Good luck with the project.
So do you have a working HID kit on your car now? what was the coding to do aswell? Even though to be honest if it doesn't work with the kit like the guy said then I'll probably send it back and buy the CREE LED headlamp bulbs as they're just as bright and draw current consistently.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #39
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So do you have a working HID kit on your car now? what was the coding to do aswell? Even though to be honest if it doesn't work with the kit like the guy said then I'll probably send it back and buy the CREE LED headlamp bulbs as they're just as bright and draw current consistently.
We have had this discussion earlier on your other thread if you pay attention to other forum members name

Yes, I have HID kit on my F10. I had jet washers from the factory on 2011 plate F10 and I added HID kit.

I code most of bmws (if you bother to click on fb square under my signature then you will find out), so I coded my car to see if I can get HID kit to work without resistors.

Yes, no error first time, but then error came up after few minutes.
Not a problem for me as I had resistors sitting next to me which came with the kit. Installed it on my car and since then no issues.

It has been on the car for 2 months and no issues!
      02-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #40
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
We have had this discussion earlier on your other thread if you pay attention to other forum members name

Yes, I have HID kit on my F10. I had jet washers from the factory on 2011 plate F10 and I added HID kit.

I code most of bmws (if you bother to click on fb square under my signature then you will find out), so I coded my car to see if I can get HID kit to work without resistors.

Yes, no error first time, but then error came up after few minutes.
Not a problem for me as I had resistors sitting next to me which came with the kit. Installed it on my car and since then no issues.

It has been on the car for 2 months and no issues!
Apologies!!

I've just liked you on facebook, where are you based?

The guy sent me resistors with the kit also, but he claims he's never needed them on all the kits he's fitted. But to be honest I think that's because it looks like there is resistors built into the kit wiring.

Where did you mount the ballasts? and did you drill the headlight dust cap? Do you still use halogen high beam or did you convert them both to HID?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:32 AM   #41
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Hi there,

I'm not sure if I missed it in this post, but how did the cree angel eye upgrade go? How was it done? Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #42
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Apologies!!

I've just liked you on facebook, where are you based?

The guy sent me resistors with the kit also, but he claims he's never needed them on all the kits he's fitted. But to be honest I think that's because it looks like there is resistors built into the kit wiring.

Where did you mount the ballasts? and did you drill the headlight dust cap? Do you still use halogen high beam or did you convert them both to HID?
Based in Essex.

If you have resistor with your kit then you do not have to worry.

My front bumper was off therefore I mounted them behind the bumper bar. Same goes with resistor.

Yes, I had to drill the headlight dust cap and use rubber grommet which came with the kit.

And yes my high beam is still halogen.

I am going to retrofit xenons but cost was £1-1.2K. Then I thought, I will change my car in 1-2 years and get LCI.
      02-28-2015, 05:25 AM   #43
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Hi again,

Sorry to bump this, but I'm excited at the prospect of finally sorting this 4 year issue out. Is it truly possible to upgrade the DRLs?

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #44
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_luvver
Hi again,

Sorry to bump this, but I'm excited at the prospect of finally sorting this 4 year issue out. Is it truly possible to upgrade the DRLs?

Anyone?
No.
Unless you butcher the headlights and then add aftermarket halo rings.