2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Been driving 47 years never a blow out until now ...

02-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
jmr986
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535ix Alpine White

Been driving 47 years never a blow out until now ...

well I guess I'm officially a BMW owner. Hit a pothole on the freeway drivers side front blew out. Got off and made it home OK. Will bring it in tomorrow. Never was a fan of the RF's definately am not now. Future son-in-law works for Goodyear. Maybe I'll have him set me up with a dozen to keep on hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
peter91118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 325xit, '09 335i

I'm confused. The front tire blew out, you still drove home on it, but you want to now ditch the runflat?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
M83
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i - Apline White

Probably because of the cost to replace, not so much the safety net that it provides. But to me, blow out=fully deflated and undriveable.

I broke my RFT cherry about a month into ownership. It sucked financially but I was able to drive around for days while I waited for the new tire to arrive. (Ordered on Tire Rack, shipped directly to tire shop). If I wasn't in a low mileage lease, I'd swap them. I need to return the car with RFTs and I can't justify the swap with the limited mileage I'll put on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
jmr986
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535ix Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter91118 View Post
I'm confused. The front tire blew out, you still drove home on it, but you want to now ditch the runflat?
The ability to drive home and to the dealership on the RF was a plus. But IMHO the RFT's are more prone to blow out when you hit a pothole. Not scientific but my own experience and that of others. YMMV

It was nice to use the SOS button to contact BMW. They forwarded my call to the service department and I got in first thing today.

BTW around $400 for one tire. About $50 more than Tire Rack. At least I got a bagel and some coffee out of it.

Had a beautiful i8 and M5 right by the waiting area.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr986 View Post
well I guess I'm officially a BMW owner. Hit a pothole on the freeway drivers side front blew out. Got off and made it home OK. Will bring it in tomorrow. Never was a fan of the RF's definately am not now. Future son-in-law works for Goodyear. Maybe I'll have him set me up with a dozen to keep on hand.
I'd rather buy a $550 tire than get hit by a car on the side of the road by someone texting or updating some worthless dribble on idiot book. I guess my life is more important.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Had three blow outs from run flats! i'm done! Since i switch off them, hit a few pop holes i didn't get to dodge, and low and behold. No blow out.
its a give and take.

The runflats side walls are so stiff there is no give, so (a) the break and (b) they transfer the grunt of the impact to your rim and bend it. The plus is you get home.
On the other hand....
Traditional tires take the impact with out a "blow out" but if you do get a blow out, either you better have some sort of spare, or get towed to the tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
RF are horrible for comfort, great is you live out of the city and there's no chance of a tire repair shop. RF are shortly lived especially if you have the m sport package and have negative camber. RF are extremely heavy and are not good for performance. The trade of is you can drive home on a flat. Mine are almost worn out and then it's going to be Michelin SS or Continentals Extreme Contact and I might even raise the sidewall spec from 35 to 40 for more absorption. I'll keep a portable air compressor in the trunk and AAA membership.

It is interesting that the new M2 now comes with Michelin Super Sport.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
On the other hand....
Traditional tires take the impact with out a "blow out" but if you do get a blow out, either you better have some sort of spare, or get towed to the tire shop.
And hope the rim isn't destroyed/damaged while trying to get stopped. Or driving to the off-ramp...
Appreciate 0