2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Sport bumpers on a 535Xi Modern Line?

03-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 435Xi M-Sport

Sport bumpers on a 535Xi Modern Line?

Wife is considering getting a Modern Line 535Xi to get the all Oyster interior and I am trying to figure out what would be needed and approx cost to change out the front & rear bumpers to the M-Sport versions. Would likely like to add the lower side sills as well to complete the look.

Anyone done this or can share some insight?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

why not just order individual and get whatever leather interior you want? M-Sport offers much more than just cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep

It's my understanding that the M-Sport only comes with black carpet, upper doors and dash regardless of leather color. You can get the Alcantara headliner to match the leather but the only way to get Ivory carpet, doors and lower dash, with Dark Oyster dash, steering wheel and upper dash is to get the Modern Line. Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1 View Post
It's my understanding that the M-Sport only comes with black carpet, upper doors and dash regardless of leather color. You can get the Alcantara headliner to match the leather but the only way to get Ivory carpet, doors and lower dash, with Dark Oyster dash, steering wheel and upper dash is to get the Modern Line. Or am I missing something?
You can order an "Individual" Model 5-series ... not sure of what the cost would be for the leather you want ... but going individual will let you customize every little detail of the car (for a cost of course) ... but for the individual custom interior charge ... you will get a Merino grade leather. Not the crappy Dakota leather standard on the 5-series.

I would expect you are looking to pay around $4k for this individual order ... but I would rather have the exterior of my vehicle assembled and painted from the BMW factory in Munich ... rather than spending approx $3k in parts for the M-Sport bumper cover conversion, and have a body shop paint and fit the parts to the vehicle. Then you will need to add-in for the M-Sport rims, and you will still be missing the m-sport suspension.

Don't bother trying to play with the configurator online ... you will not find what you're looking for specifically here ... you will need to visit your local dealer ... my advice ... shop around for a dealer well-versed in ///M cars & Individual models for your area when you are ready to actually order your car, so it comes in correctly!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
You can order an "Individual" Model 5-series ... not sure of what the cost would be for the leather you want ... but going individual will let you customize every little detail of the car (for a cost of course) ... but for the individual custom interior charge ... you will get a Merino grade leather. Not the crappy Dakota leather standard on the 5-series.

I would expect you are looking to pay around $4k for this individual order ... but I would rather have the exterior of my vehicle assembled and painted from the BMW factory in Munich ... rather than spending approx $3k in parts for the M-Sport bumper cover conversion, and have a body shop paint and fit the parts to the vehicle. Then you will need to add-in for the M-Sport rims, and you will still be missing the m-sport suspension.

Don't bother trying to play with the configurator online ... you will not find what you're looking for specifically here ... you will need to visit your local dealer ... my advice ... shop around for a dealer well-versed in ///M cars & Individual models for your area when you are ready to actually order your car, so it comes in correctly!
Crappy Dakota leather? I think mine is just fine. It's a car not an Italian couch.
      03-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Crappy Dakota leather? I think mine is just fine. It's a car not an Italian couch.
Ok ... not trying to offend you ... but I had Dakota Cinnamon Leather in my 2011 535xi, and i thought is was a crappy hide of leather. It wasn't very soft, and the grain looked fake. We are all entitled to our opinion. You are correct, it is not an italian couch ... it is a $70k+ German automobile ... for my money I should have some leather that feels premium for the premium that I am paying for the car!

I had a 1998 Lexus ES300 ($38k), 2003 Nissan Maxima ($34k), 2007 Lexus GS350 ($52k) & a 2010 Lexus RX ($48k) ... all cars that had better leather than the Dakota leather on BMW.

I have Nappa leather on my 2014 550xi ($89k) and I feel it is definitely worth the upgrade. I didn't want to spend the $$ for the Merino leather ... but I have felt the difference from Nappa to Merino and the Merino is like butter!

To my point ... the OP is looking to get the apperance of an M-Sport Car (Front, Rear Bumpers, Diffuser, Fog Lights, etc) plus paint and labor ... probably going to run him an additional $3-4k. My point is to order an M-Sport 535xi, and go Individual spec, and get the OEM fit & finish, better performance of the M-Sport line, since it is more than just a body kit, and have premium leather for the same $$$ spent!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
Ok ... not trying to offend you ... but I had Dakota Cinnamon Leather in my 2011 535xi, and i thought is was a crappy hide of leather. It wasn't very soft, and the grain looked fake. We are all entitled to our opinion. You are correct, it is not an italian couch ... it is a $70k+ German automobile ... for my money I should have some leather that feels premium for the premium that I am paying for the car!

I had a 1998 Lexus ES300 ($38k), 2003 Nissan Maxima ($34k), 2007 Lexus GS350 ($52k) & a 2010 Lexus RX ($48k) ... all cars that had better leather than the Dakota leather on BMW.

I have Nappa leather on my 2014 550xi ($89k) and I feel it is definitely worth the upgrade. I didn't want to spend the $$ for the Merino leather ... but I have felt the difference from Nappa to Merino and the Merino is like butter!

To my point ... the OP is looking to get the apperance of an M-Sport Car (Front, Rear Bumpers, Diffuser, Fog Lights, etc) plus paint and labor ... probably going to run him an additional $3-4k. My point is to order an M-Sport 535xi, and go Individual spec, and get the OEM fit & finish, better performance of the M-Sport line, since it is more than just a body kit, and have premium leather for the same $$$ spent!
No Offence taken. I agree that the OP should order the M Sport and go individual for the interior he wants because that will likely be less expensive than trying to add the M Sport package in parts afterwards. In addition the RWD M Sport gets the 704 suspension which he would have to add (if he wants it).

My experience with leather finishes is the higher the processing (i.e. softer, more slippery or shiny) the easier it sustains damage, which in a car is not a great thing. I have no direct experience with the Nappa leather though.
      03-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for the insight on how the Individual program works. I was strictly going off what the web site would and would not allow.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

The Dakota is actually a better leather than what you have named in all of those other cars. Unless you are getting the semi-analine on a Lexus it isn't as 'premium' as you think it is. That smoothness is just simply the outter finish is ground down versus the stamping on the Dakota. Overall the Dakota is thicker and will look nicer longer. The thinner leather in those other cars will show creases and even delaminate in some cases. While I agree with you the Dakota isn't baby bottom smooth it is a good leather. I would also upgrade to Nappa or Merino for the $$ but calling Dakota 'crap leather' is simply misinformed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
The Dakota is actually a better leather than what you have named in all of those other cars. Unless you are getting the semi-analine on a Lexus it isn't as 'premium' as you think it is. That smoothness is just simply the outter finish is ground down versus the stamping on the Dakota. Overall the Dakota is thicker and will look nicer longer. The thinner leather in those other cars will show creases and even delaminate in some cases. While I agree with you the Dakota isn't baby bottom smooth it is a good leather. I would also upgrade to Nappa or Merino for the $$ but calling Dakota 'crap leather' is simply misinformed.
I agree.
      03-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
SteveL1
Private First Class
Rep

Stopped by one dealer today and talked to the sales mgr, who has been there for 20+ years and he looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about getting a 535iX M-Sport with the Ivory interior like what comes in the Modern Line through the Individual Program. After 20 min on the computer, he stated that he could not get the light colored head liner.

On to the next dealer..................

If someone has gone through this process and has a sales person that knows what they are doing, please send me a PM so I can call him/her.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1 View Post
Stopped by one dealer today and talked to the sales mgr, who has been there for 20+ years and he looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about getting a 535iX M-Sport with the Ivory interior like what comes in the Modern Line through the Individual Program. After 20 min on the computer, he stated that he could not get the light colored head liner.

On to the next dealer..................

If someone has gone through this process and has a sales person that knows what they are doing, please send me a PM so I can call him/her.
Steve,

I don't know any dealers in the St. Louis area ... however David Aviles from Steve Thomas BMW (represented here on the forum) should be able to help you.

No Individual order will ever be able to be built and accepted by the computer. BMW will have to submit your special order request to Individual who will have an actual person review the complete order, as well as assign a cost to every individual option of your choosing. I would also speak to StealthPilot (M5 board member) ... he has a ton of experience with the individual program, and could probably best assist you in hand-crafting your interior through a knowledgeable dealer.
Appreciate 0