2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Bubble bubble, tire and trouble

10-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
toneil44
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M8 Comp GC, 2017 540

The B/S RE050A Summer RFT are an improvement over the GY LS2 tires. Two months and no bubbles, ride quality continues to be better than the LS2 but not as good as non RFT.

I am still working on getting out of Summer tires. I've given up on my SA and gone to the Service General Manager (too top heavy a management structure if you ask me).

To prepare for another round w/ the dealer, I've put together a matrix w/ all the possible tire options I can think of for a 2011 535ix w/ Sport Pkg:

Staying w/ RFT
All-Season Tire
245/40R19
Stay w/ Goodyear LS2 if and when it becomes available. I want no part of this due to the S/W bubbling issue.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960ASRFT. N/A until at least into 2012 per B/S Tech Service. They are experiencing "development issues". When it becomes available, this would be the tire of choice for me.

245/45R18 (Std Equipment on base 535ix)
2 suppliers - Conti and GY. Obviously prefer Conti. Get BMW, (actually GY who is going to pay for it) to spring for both 4 tires and 4-18" rims.

Summer Tire
245/40R19
Have 4 B/S Potenza RE050ARFT on the car now but only good thru Oct. I could likely run them safely thru mid Nov here in southern New England but I am certainly not going to tell BMW that. Only winter RFT available is Pirelli Sottozero. Reviews describe the tire as very noisy, harsh ride. Could go w/ all-season tire for winter but Potenza RE960ASRFT is not currently available and I want no part of GY LS2. See above.

Non RFT
245/40R19 or 245/45R18
All-Season Tire
Best 2 choices are: Conti Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Summer Tire
Best 2 choices are: Conti Extreme Contact DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport. For winter tire good choice is Michelin Alpin or could go w/ an all-season tire (see above).

Obviously need BMW's OK to go non RFT. BMW to give me Mobility Kit, BMW Assist to respond to flat tire emergencies w/ non RFT, a 5th tire and wheel plus tire changing equipment for long trips (might as well ask for everything). B/S Tech Service mentioned I should be sure the non RFT fit onto the rims.

Above everything else, when B/S Potenza RE960ASRFT becomes availalble, BMW to put them on the car.

Give me feedback on this so I'll be ready for discussions w/ the dealer.
Appreciate 0