2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Connected drive questions for new car

02-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Connected drive questions for new car

Collected my new 535D Msport yesterday, and very happy with it so far.

The whole computer in the car thing has got me slightly baffled though....

It doesn't have enhanced BT, just the regular version, but does have the pro satnav option.

Got some questions I hope some knowledgeable people on here can help with......

1. Can I view emails/texts on the screen? If so, how do I set it up?
2. Does the Q above require enhanced BT rather than the standard version?
3. Does the car only connect at 4G speed if you have enhanced BT? Otherwise its 3G
4. Been told that enhanced BT can be encoded to the car even if it wasn't installed, is this true?
5. What is the real useable capacity of the cars HDD for storing music?

Thanks in anticipation for any help that can be offered.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

If it's brand new then it will have enhanced bt as all the Pro Navs have this as standard. You can read emails, though I have found it a bit clunky. If your car is new then it may be better than mine as you will have the evo version with 4g. Mine is a Dec14 car with fewer features. Go to connected services, click on messages and then go into filter and select all messages. You can then read texts. Mine seems to default back to service messages, so I have to go through several screens to read texts when my phone dings. YMMV!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

If you're using an iPhone I believe it can be set up to receive txt messages, but I have Android and haven't managed it in my 2015 F10.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
ScottC25
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
If it's brand new then it will have enhanced bt as all the Pro Navs have this as standard. You can read emails, though I have found it a bit clunky. If your car is new then it may be better than mine as you will have the evo version with 4g. Mine is a Dec14 car with fewer features. Go to connected services, click on messages and then go into filter and select all messages. You can then read texts. Mine seems to default back to service messages, so I have to go through several screens to read texts when my phone dings. YMMV!
Have done this, no messages there at all! Using an iPhone 5s
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 02:52 AM   #5
FillUpAtTheBlackPump
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
Do you have any info on enhanced bt being standard now?

I've just ordered (being built this week) and it was still definitely on the options list :

I didn't order as my budget was quite strict, hope I won't regret it...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

If you have Connected Drive then you can also receive e-mails through that rather than through the office option on the iDrive but it is a bit clunky.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320d-ED View Post
Do you have any info on enhanced bt being standard now?

I've just ordered (being built this week) and it was still definitely on the options list :

I didn't order as my budget was quite strict, hope I won't regret it...
No I don't and I could be wrong. The module is definitely included and can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Enhanced BT is still an option. Crazy but there you go. And I think it is a fantastic feature to be able to scroll and play music with the iPhone still in your pocket. ANd listen to youtube stuff whilst driving. I love it.

320ED, you made a mistake and should have specified it.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

even my 2012 model can read out text messages (not obvious how to set yr phone up) although its clunky and imho not something to be doing whilst you are driving as it requires a few selections in the idrive. newer models may be different potentially - I don't know.
dont have the info to hand but a google should find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #10
FillUpAtTheBlackPump
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Enhanced BT is still an option. Crazy but there you go. And I think it is a fantastic feature to be able to scroll and play music with the iPhone still in your pocket. ANd listen to youtube stuff whilst driving. I love it.

320ED, you made a mistake and should have specified it.

I hate the fact you can't really find a definitive answer as to what enhanced bt gives you. I've ordered pro nav and tbh am happy to connect via usb for media streaming esp given that 2+ hrs of bt streaming has to kill the iPhone battery.

I regretted business nav on my 3 series so went for pro nav this time, do you really think it's a deal breaker? Easily coded anyway I'm led to believe?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

Enhanced Blue Tooth will give you the text messages but the standard Blue Tooth does not. You can code Enhanced Blue Tooth by changing the Vehicle Order (VO) using E-Sys; you would then need to code the HU_NBT (again with E-Sysy) to tell the car there is only one microphone and not 2 as is standard with Enhanced Blue Tooth.

How do I know this; I'm about to do it this weekend all being well!!!!! I've already coded Video in Motion and USB Video Playback and Enhanced Blue Tooth is next on my list; although coding the VO means I will have to code Video in Motion and USB Video Playback again.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillUpAtTheBlackPump View Post

I hate the fact you can't really find a definitive answer as to what enhanced bt gives you. I've ordered pro nav and tbh am happy to connect via usb for media streaming esp given that 2+ hrs of bt streaming has to kill the iPhone battery.

I regretted business nav on my 3 series so went for pro nav this time, do you really think it's a deal breaker? Easily coded anyway I'm led to believe?
BT streaming from iPhone does not kill the battery at all - last ages. That's certainly the case with my iPhone 6. I drove from Eastbourne to Nottingham, three hours, and it used 25% battery an I cannot grumble at that.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
FillUpAtTheBlackPump
Private First Class
Rep

Well... Collected my new F10 without enhanced BT this week. I can stream from my phone, browse playlists/artists etc using idrive and even get album artwork displayed over BT.

I'm v happy but even more confused as to what this option actually gives you?? I even seem to have the two mics!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

A lot of the functionality depends on your phone. I found that my Sony Z3 Compact, gave better functionality than my iPhone 6S, which will show some messages if the app is off before the phone pairs with the car.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0