2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Model Evolution

06-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Model Evolution

I've been trying to figure out how BMW will juggle the evolution of its expanded model line-up. Is it just me, or does the evolution machine appear to be slowing down?

For instance, the new 2-series has much more in common with the designs introduced with our F10 (in 2010) than it does with some of the slightly updated design language of the new 3, 4, x5, and x6, for instance. Even the "all new" cars are starting to feel a bit slower in evolution.

Thinking back to the large leaps we saw from, let's say an e46/e39 to an e90/e60, in design, it just doesn't appear to be that dramatic any longer. While I like it on one hand because it makes me think, "gee, the styling of my car won't go out of date QUITE as quickly," on the other hand I think, "will BMW fall behind it's competitors, and is it struggling to juggle the design lifecycle across this much expanded set of cars?"

Curious if any of you have been thinking the same or similar thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Major design changes are not always a good thing, look at Lexus' new cooperate front end. Lexus should have took a good design and modify it and make it look new and modern instead of starting from scratch. Personally, I like the current BMW design direction. If its not broken, don't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Major design changes are not always a good thing, look at Lexus' new cooperate front end. Lexus should have took a good design and modify it and make it look new and modern instead of starting from scratch. Personally, I like the current BMW design direction. If its not broken, don't fix it.
I don't disagree. I think the current BMW line-up and design is as good as it's ever been. But I've taken note that the design engine appears to be slowing, and I'm wondering if it's a product of the larger line-up and the company's inability to juggle design changes at their historic pace, or if it's an intention slow-down.

Either way, I'm certainly not disappointed. With a few exceptions, I think BMW's current designs are market-leading. My GUESS is that they're intentionally slowing the changes perhaps (a) because they're introducing a number of models and want to keep consistency, which requires a slower pace, and (b) the success they've had with existing models warrants evolution not revolution.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

It may also have to do with the leasing residuals. If they make drastic changes, this will make their older models look dated and lead to lower resale values. This in turn would affect leasing residuals if I'm not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
digitalnoah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I've been trying to figure out how BMW will juggle the evolution of its expanded model line-up...

...Curious if any of you have been thinking the same or similar thoughts?
My issue is less about evolution and more about clarity of model differentiation. But maybe we're saying the same thing!?!

The equity that was built in the 3 series over the last decade or two is enormous. So what was BMW thinking when they split off the 2-door models into the 4 series? And whatever plan that was, how do you explain the 4 gran coupe? Honestly, when it comes to the 3, the 3 GT, and the 4 grand coupe, they're all just the same car repackaged. This watering down frustrates me, because it makes the BMW brand weaker by making it appeal to a broader, more ambiguous target audience. Now the brand means a little to a lot more people, but means less to any one person.

And the worst part is that quarter after quarter, the company is posting record sales. Which means the free market is encouraging this trend to continue.
: (
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Think it has most to do with who was the head designer.
At tthe time of the e36/e39/e46 Claus Luthe was the head designer.
The e60,e63,e90 ect was chris bangle, he did some radical design cheanges, many not very popular. He was responsibe for all new models released from about 2000.
The later models, like the f10, f30, and the current line up you have Adrian von hoydoonk as head designer.

Personnaly I hate the front of the new 3/4 series. the f10 and the new 2 is as far as I'm conserned the best looking BMWs on the market.
But I stil think the e31 8 series is the best design ever

When it comes to splitting the sedan and touring from a separate coupe and cabrio lineup this is something BMW started talking about in the early 2000s. With The introcuction of the new 6 series as kind of a coupe and cabrio 5. Plan was to do the same with the 3, and make a new 4 with the e90, but this was cancelled.
Instead they started giving each model its own e-designation.
Looking back on the e36, there are 8 e36 versions, including all 3 versions, the compact and the z3 versions.

BMW used the time from 1970 to 2000 to get from e1 to e46, then used the remaining e numbers in less than 10 years and had to start on F.
Too bad as the E stands for Entwicklung, or development. Wonder what the F stands for.

Last edited by Noggie; 07-08-2014 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Think it has most to do with who was the head designer.
At tthe time of the e36/e39/e46 Claus Luthe was the head designer.
The e60,e63,e90 ect was chris bangle, he did some radical design cheanges, many not very popular. He was responsibe for all new models released from about 2000.
The later models, like the f10, f30, and the current line up you have Adrian von hoydoonk as head designer.

Personnaly I hate the front of the new 3/4 series. the f10 and the new 2 is as far as I'm conserned the best looking BMWs on the market.
But I stil think the e31 8 series is the best design ever

When it comes to splitting the sedan and touring from a separate coupe and cabrio lineup this is something BMW started talking about in the early 2000s. With The introcuction of the new 6 series as kind of a coupe and cabrio 5. Plan was to do the same with the 3, and make a new 4 with the e90, but this was cancelled.
Instead they started giving each model its own e-designation.
Looking back on the e36, there are 8 e36 versions, including all 3 versions, the compact and the z3 versions.

BMW used the time from 1970 to 2000 to get from e1 to e46, then used the remaining e numbers in less than 10 years and had to start on F.
Too bad as the E stands for Entwicklung, or development. Wonder what the F stands for.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
BigK
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2013 528xi; 2012 VW Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I happen to like the new Lexus design, especially on the IS. Am I the only one?
Appreciate 0