2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding LCI retrofit options

07-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
thommo599
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 530d Luxury

LCI retrofit options

Hi all,

Mods please move if in wrong place I'M still new to this forum.

Recently picked up a Dec 13 F11 530d Luxury. Was shopping for a while and given budget and the mrs wanted this car for the colour we got the one we have.

Pro Nav NBT
4 zone AC
Dimming folding mirrors
Memory driver seat on standard seats

Couple of other options more but can't remember off of the top of my head.

Had my heart set on another one but this one only had 9,700 miles on the clock and 2.5 years old. Rest were all 40-60k on the clock.

I'm looking at all the retrofits that can be done.
I'd like
Multi function dash clocks
Surround cameras
Comfort access
Soft close doors
Possible upgrade speakers to HK (currently no speaker in the door at the mirror)
Comfort front seats (possibly just go to the M sport seats)
Heated steering wheel possibly with paddles
New style LED adaptive lights

I had a E65 years ago again late LCI pretty much fully loaded and Individual paint, wood and leather and an E90 LCI again fully loaded pro nav, vision assist etc.

This is the first car we haven't bought at the spec level we wanted. Unfortunately after nearly 2 months of searching this was the one we thought was best and with 4 zone ac it's good for the dogs in the back. I thought about retro fitting 4 zone ac would probably be a nightmare to do with the extra ducts and ac pipes.

Of my list above what can and cannot be done.

I've found a seller with 5 cameras including the blind spot wing mirrors with cameras mounted and the camera ecu for £1k. the ecu thing has the 5 camera cables and a 5" ecu loom. I've looked in my boot but cannot find a loom to connect it to.

Do BMW not supply a generic loom in the car at build?

Any help/info will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ian
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Multi function dash clocks

I assume you mean the 6WA/6WB instrument clusters? Relatively easy retrofit if starting with a brand new cluster. Minor coding work, and a connector swap.

I used cluster will require considerable work to virginize for retrofit to adopt the new cars VIN/Mileage.

Surround cameras

I would assume this swap to require basic coding, in addition to the requisite cameras and the camera control box. The HSD cables running to each camera are not inclusive of the standard vehicle harness.

Comfort access

I can't imagine this would be a cost effective if even viable retrofit.

Soft close doors

Swap all four door latches inside the doors for the soft close latches, and run power/ground to them. No coding.

Possible upgrade speakers to HK (currently no speaker in the door at the mirror)

Easy enough, small modifications may need to be made to the mounting points to fit the additional speakers.

Comfort front seats (possibly just go to the M sport seats)

I would think all F10 seats should bolt right in and basic functionality would work. The control units are in the seats themselves and save for air conditioning or heating I would think the important stuff would just work.

Heated steering wheel possibly with paddles

Fairly simple retrofit, you'll need a heated wheel with the correct SZL cluster and will need to run power to the SZL for the heater. Paddles are already "wiring in place" in the SZL and are enabled in coding. IE VO coding 2TB for SAT.

New style LED adaptive lights

Extremely expensive to source a complete pair of lights with all of the LED specific modules. The LED headlights have 4-5 modules each and share none of them with their Xenon counterparts.

Wiring is likely different, and at very least the FRM would need to be coded, if not replaced with an LED specific unit.

I'm looking into doing this retrofit myself, but I've not found any sign of anyone having successfully done the swap and had correct lighting operation post retrofit. IE all lamps work, AHL functioning, variable light distribution, no error lights on dash etc.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
thommo599
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that.

I have the 6WA I believe with the lcd display at the bottom with sat nav info there.
6WB is what I'd prefer.

I thought the comfort access would probably be the hardest and most cost ineffective.

I assume the HSD cables are the ones that run from the rear boot camera control box to the individual cameras.
The one I've found has these included in the kit. 5 cameras, 2 wing mirrors, camera control box, 5 cables to the cameras.
It was specifically the wiring harness on the Valeo camera control box. About 7 wires on one connector. red, black, brown, green, white etc. I don't seem to have any loom that matches this that I've seen albeit not had a good look.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

HSD cables are 4 pin with an outside ring as ground. IE automotive USB format for all intents and purposes....

If you already have the rear view camera the harness running to the control box should be the same as the new control box. If not well.. I don't know what to tell you there. Sounds like you would need that harness from a donor car, or build and run it yourself.

Base/Rear and Top-Rear-Side look to share the same connector to me (these are mine) just extra HSD cables. The front view I would assume have 1 more HSD connector.

Last edited by Stück; 07-28-2016 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
thommo599
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

No I don't have the rear camera so looks like I don't have the actual loom to control the camera Ecu. Will look on the parts diagrams to see what I need.

I looked at part numbers for the seat Ecu. Looks like they are all the same if you have driver memory on either standard, sport or comfort seats. I'd imagine it's now just plug and play. Only issue would be going to ventilation seats where I need the heater air con control swapped to get the cooled seat button.

Only other retrofit I was looking at was high beam assist. I've read it's a case of new rear view mirror with the camera and new indicator stalk control. Will probably worth getting the heated one at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Surround view requires New Mirrors to be fit to the car. You will have to find Mirrors with the options you have/want. E.G. Heated, autodim, Lane change, Surround view cameras.

Then you have to run the camera cable from mirror to door harness ensuring windows going up and down does not hit the cable.

Further, you will run a second camera cable from Door harness, along kick panel and into the trunk area. You will need to replace or install the Camera module in the left rear. Keep in mind when you buy these used, MAKE SURE they have the color coded tabs still installed on the camera ECU. These pieces ARE NOT buyable from BMW.

Once all cables are installed and run to ECU, you will need to have the car coded to display on the Nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

FYI, Patryk at www.bimmertech.net can supply just about any retrofit and will work with you if you have some of the parts already. Great company, great guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
Surround view requires New Mirrors to be fit to the car.
I don't see any reason why one would have to move forward with this unnecessary expense. on an LCI anyway just the lower trim plastic can be swapped, and the knockout in the universal plug housing removed to make room for the camera and HSD line. The mounting provisions for the camera are part of the lower trim.

Far more economical to redress your existing mirror sub assembly to suit than replace as a unit outright.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

The mirrors require the lower mirror trim plastic (Price?), which I could not find. Then you will have to find the cameras (100-200) a piece on ebay, then the wire harness over to the door and not to mention disassemble and reassemble of everything. On Ebay, you can find the entire mirror for 300-400 a piece, and I got mine for 400 for both mirrors.

Just depends how much work you want to do. By no means would I ever suggest buying NEW mirrors. And again, if you check with anyone that has done this Mod, and check with Patryk, they and he are going to tell you just to swap out the mirrors. Takes less than 5 minutes to swap a mirror once you are there, versus hours of work to mod a mirror, IF it can be done at all because I was hard pressed in the weeks of research that I did to find someone modding a non Surround view mirror up to a Surround camera mirror.

And this is not a project for the faint of heart. Both Door covers have to come off, mirrors have to be Moded or swapped, cable run to door harness, Drivers seat removed, Lower kick panel removed, side lower trim removed, Door sills removed, center door pillar covers removed, Rear seat pillar cover removed, trunk disassembled, all trim on drivers side in trunk removed, and then you will go back and removed passenger kick panel, side panel, door panel, and mirror mod/replacement.

The cables Must be run through a plastic housing on the passenger side under the carpet so the carpet has to be pull up and manipulated, I think I had pulled the passenger seat as well. Those cables have a specific route to be run in the car to avoid being damaged by foot pressure of passengers and then run properly on drivers side so it does not get caught up in the Gas Pedal area and cause a surge condition.

With the front side view cameras,which are a lot of work and THOSE are easy to retrofit into the front bumper, this project took me 3 weekends of solid work.

If you want to sacrifice hours of work and assembly for a few bucks saved, go ahead an modify a mirror if you can. But the holes you drill have to be almost perfect else it doesn't look right and even the front side view cameras that I meticulously drilled with a 100 specialty drill bit, still does not look as good as OEM.

It is a hell of alot of easier to shop ebay, find yourself two mirrors, or one at a time and buy it with the camera within the housing. Saves you a crap load of work.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
thommo599
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

The kit I've found on eBay has
Camera cables x5
2 mirrors with cameras installed
Reverse camera
Bumper side view cameras
Camera control unit
4" of harness wire for camera control unit
New camera button trim beside gear stick
£1200 delivered

It is off a LHD model so I'd need a new camera button trim.

The mirrors also have the blindspot symbol but I don't have that either. I think that one will be too expensive to look at as needs the seasons on the rear. Cable harness, ecu, new steering wheel controls, new buttons to dash to activate etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

You will also need the center console switch which holds the surround view and side view camera switches. About 100 on ebay. If the kit is for the surround view and front bumper side cameras as well as the backup camera, you will need: 2 cables from front bumper side view to ECU; 2 cables from Mirror to door rubber harness, 2 more cables from door harness to ECU, and then 1 cable from rear view to ECU (Could be 2, I have not retrofitted rear view as it was on my car)

So there should be 4 cables for surround view, 2 cables for side view and 1/2 cables for rear view.

Here is a picture of the center console switch on realoem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_2594

You can buy it new and will have blanks for any options you dont install, but a little pricy.

Again, you can buy a kit off of ebay and then pay Bimmertech for coding and tech help. Patryk is very fair on pricing depending on what retrofit you are installing.

Other reference pages for this retrofit:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...MW-550iX&mg=66

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...MW-550iX&mg=61

THis is based on my model car, but 2011-2013 have most things interchangable.
Appreciate 0