2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bad wire splice job behind pax airbag

07-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Bad wire splice job behind pax airbag

A month ago my new-to-me CPO car popped an error "Passenger Restraint System Malfunction" so I stopped by a dealership to show them the error and get it written up because I thought it would go away once I shut down and later restarted my car.

In the service bay I shut it down and restarted for the SA, and the warning came back on so they inducted the car.

A day later the SA left me a message saying that the fault was due to a bad wire splice job behind the passenger airbag, and that they were talking to BMW NA about what they could, or could not do for me. That scared the carp (odd spelling to avoid offense) out of me because I sensed the direction they were going was that they would claim that I had altered the car and the warranty would therefore not cover repairs. I provided proof that I'd owned the car for only three months, and they changed their answer to the repairs being fully covered. Whew.

To end this part of the story, the wring harness is being made in Germany and may be here next week (three weeks after diagnosis).

Finally to the question: Do any of you tech DIY'ers have any idea at all what may have been installed in the car and then removed by the previous owner? I'm not looking to blame or pursue anyone, but I do want to know what other wiring concerns I should bring to the dealership's attention while they have the car pulled apart. I noticed a bad rattle from the left rear shelf speaker area, so I thought that there may have been an after-market audio system in the car and removed prior to the car's prior owner's end of lease.

Thank you for any ideas you may have!
      07-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

WOW!!!! I can't think of why ANYONE would tap into the airbag wiring!! That's just plain stupid! On MANY levels.

That said I think your assessment is spot on. That rattle could very easily be a poor job reinstalling the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

I cannot imagine any reason anyone would tap into wiring for an airbag system.

That said behind the passenger side dash there is a plethora of electronics and wiring.

I'd be predisposed to doubting the dealers claim, but maybe thats just me....
Appreciate 0