2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Key battery

09-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Key battery

My 535d will be arriving soon and a thought about the key has just occurred to me.
As there's no ignition port, how does the key battery recharge? I know there's a slot in-between the front cup holders but as the key doesn't have to be inserted in order to start the car, I thought it was nothing more than an unpowered storage point.
On reflection, I can only think that it must be powered in order to charge the key battery by induction.
If that's the case, I suppose there's no alternative other than having the cup holder open whenever you're driving the car. Shame because the centre console looks better with it closed.
Hope someone has an answer - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
schmoolie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F10 520d

As far as I was aware the key had a replaceable battery not a rechargeable one. When it runs out you change it.
Attached Images

Last edited by schmoolie; 09-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: added picture
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

jonD...... Has your car entered production? when did you place your order? I am week 37 build so any day now mine should start rolling down the conveyor belt.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoolie View Post
As far as I was aware the key had a replaceable battery not a rechargeable one. When it runs out you change it.
Many thanks for taking the trouble to print the page directly from the manual.
I sincerely hope you get some sort of warning when the battery's nearing the end of it's life; I don't fancy the idea of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead key!
On the up-side, it's good to know I'll be able to drive around without having the cup holders constantly on view.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
jonD...... Has your car entered production? when did you place your order? I am week 37 build so any day now mine should start rolling down the conveyor belt.
I know you've asked me this before and I'm sorry if I appeared rude by not answering.
Seeing as I'm a great believer in not tempting fate, all I'm going to say for now is - watch this space .
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
schmoolie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F10 520d

Please to help. I agree with you about the cup holders on view.. I don't see mine being used at all and wish there was an option to delete or replace with a more useful space...

According to dealer my 520D is due week 42 so only a month to go....patience is a virtue I don't posses.
      09-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoolie View Post
Please to help. I agree with you about the cup holders on view.. I don't see mine being used at all and wish there was an option to delete or replace with a more useful space...

According to dealer my 520D is due week 42 so only a month to go....patience is a virtue I don't posses.
My thoughts exactly and I'm hoping that the cup holders will be a removable sub-assembly.
I had an Audi which came with similarly useless cup holders in the armrest and I was able to prise them out, thereby leaving me with a useful storage space.
I'll have a gentle prod around when I get the car and let you know if I meet with success.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I sincerely hope you get some sort of warning when the battery's nearing the end of it's life; I don't fancy the idea of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead key!
You don't need to worry about that. If the remote battery is dead or there is a malfunction, you can open the door using the integrated key inside the remote. And there is a special marked area in the steering column against which you can hold the remote + Start button + brake to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
You don't need to worry about that. If the remote battery is dead or there is a malfunction, you can open the door using the integrated key inside the remote. And there is a special marked area in the steering column against which you can hold the remote + Start button + brake to start the car.
Thanks for the reassurance; I'll feel more at ease up here in the wilds of Scotland as a result and I'm sure the same applies to you in Canada!
Another thought: if the key has no powered receptacle, how does it get up-dated from the car - does it have 'Bluetooth'?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

This is a good thing!

Quote:
Many thanks for taking the trouble to print the page directly from the manual.
On the up-side, it's good to know I'll be able to drive around without having the cup holders constantly on view.
The key is now a replaceable battery which is a lot better than the rechargebale one that we used to have. Why? Because we can now change the stupid thing instead of getting stuck with a useless fob because it's welded all together and you can't replace the battery. Also, you won't ever be stranded. If the key battery does die, you can enter the car using the metal Key, then you can communicate and start the car by briefly holding the fob up to the steering column, then pressing the Start Button. This is explained in the manual as well........................pretty slick.

Last. Week 37 is this week and most cars with week 37 designation will be done this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
The key is now a replaceable battery which is a lot better than the rechargebale one that we used to have. Why? Because we can now change the stupid thing instead of getting stuck with a useless fob because it's welded all together and you can't replace the battery. Also, you won't ever be stranded. If the key battery does die, you can enter the car using the metal Key, then you can communicate and start the car by briefly holding the fob up to the steering column, then pressing the Start Button. This is explained in the manual as well........................pretty slick.

Last. Week 37 is this week and most cars with week 37 designation will be done this week.
This was previously confirmed by 'nosnoop', but my thanks to you also.
As there's no longer a charging/communication port, do you know how the key gets car info updates?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

My guess is that there is still some sort of electronic link going on between the car and key at all times. The only difference being that the key is now powered via a regular battery, and in the event it dies, codes are stored in memory until a replacment is put in.

I think someone also confirmed for you that the cupholder assembly does indeed come out. I dont recall this being on my E39, but evidently there is some form of mechanical unlocking of the transmission below the cupholder area. The tool is located in the trunk tool kit. should be no harm in taking the cupholder out if you so desire.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Many thanks to all for the positive feedback - cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

A 535d! God,I hope they start sending those over here soon.Rumor has it there'll be a diesel F10 here next year but I'll believe it when I see it.Hope you enjoy yours,Jon D.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
My guess is that there is still some sort of electronic link going on between the car and key at all times. The only difference being that the key is now powered via a regular battery...
I don't think that's entirely true.The spot on the steering column,when the keyfob (even with a dead battery) is placed next to it momentarily,is enough to start the car and it remains running even when the keyfob is pulled away.

That's my understanding,at least.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #16
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I for one think the cupholders are perfect. Hated the previous models cupholders, when a passenger my knees would hit them getting in and out, also the holders themselves were small. My wife and I travel often and the cupholder are a perfect size and spot. The door that closes when not used is large and classy looking.

Also, we almost exclusively use the key fob holder as intended.

Started to think BMW stuck the hook in my mouth pretty deep!
      09-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Quote:
You do. Put a dying (not dead!) set of batteries in that remote and the dash will light up a Double AA battery sign to warn you the batteries in your key FOB are almost toast.

My SA was very thorough when taking delivery