2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Valve Cleaning

05-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #67
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Awesome! I'm glad the video helped. Let me know if you have any questions.
      11-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #68
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

This is an Old Thread, however, i finally did this.

A little background. in 2018 when i created this thread, i was actually running the N63intake kit, which while it worked well, eventually started to give me DTMs.

Turned out the intake was leaky in areas which was enough of a problem to throw DTM.

I also had a mission performance tune.

Fast forward into the pandemic, as i started to drive the car ALOT and really racked up miles on it, i started having other problems, specially during WOT. (power would cut out at WOT in the 5k rpm mark).

This was around 55k miles these problems started happening.

Changing coil placks/plugs helped lessen this 'power cut out' issue but it still happened.

So i put the car entirely back to stock (tune etc)

During this time with the help of Addy27 i added in the Dinan intake (maintains stock intake) / Dinan Intercoolers and then the Dinan stage 3 tune with alpina trans tune.

while this improved the drivability and reliability of the car i was still having a few issues

rough idle (at cold start) after the cold start cycle completes and the revs come back down to 1kish rpm - would get a really lumpy idle.

I was also due for a new set of plugs so about 2 weeks ago plugs (NGK) /coil packs were replaced, which went a long way in restoring power to the car. (prior to this it was feeling a bit sluggish)

I am religious about maintenance with this car.

Frequent oil changes - liquimoly with the engine flush additive (every oil change)
at least every 6-8 weeks i drop in a bottle of fuel system cleaner (techron or liquimoly) and then follow up (next tank) with some di jectron. Along with the motor oil saver or ceratec from LM.

Also every 3 yrs i'll swap all the fluids (trans (filter/pan) / diff / coolant / brakes / Power steerig).

Some of this maybe over kill, but fluid flushes/changes are cheap insurance (imho) for longer term reliability and prolonging issues to come up.

Car is now at 83k miles - n63tu motor, dinan stage 3 tune / exhaust etc..

This car is also a daily driver (i commute to office a few times a week) as well as alot of 'spirited' driving.

Granted the requirement for shell blasting the INTAKE valves is not necessary due to the improvements in the TU motor, as well as some of the shops i've spoken to in the bay area.

Even with these improvements carbon will still build up on the back of the intake valves (maybe not as much) but its still going to build up over time.

I used 2 cans of the intake / valve cleaner (berrymans) kept the revs around 2500-3k rpm....and emptied the bottles, once i buttoned everything up i took the car for a 'italian tune up'.

the first 1/4 mile i could tell the engine was misfiring in the 2-3k rpm range...but then a big cloud of smoke exited out the exhaust.....and that cleared up....then in the 3-5k range same misfire rough idle etc (really sluggish acceleration) for another 1/4m, and still a little bit of smoke through the tailpipe.

But then after that cleared out, I drove it pretty hard (italian tune up) and got it up to speed and then some on the freeway. and it felt like a BEAST, like its never felt that way before.

In summary, i'm not here to argue no if this is necessary.

I simply came here to let everyone know of my experience....removing carbon build up (regardless of the motor) is going to improve acceleration / keep things running smoother....

i would say acceleration is now improved about 25-30%......

Now at cold start i no longer get any lumpy acceleration.

just thought i would share my experience. Specially with these GDI Motors, which may increase efficiency and performances but it also creates other maintenance issues.

I did not take any pics so my experience is based on the characteristics and issues i was seeing before and how improved the car feels overall now.
Appreciate 1