2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 '13 528i weird noises

11-29-2023, 05:10 PM   #1
Gabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Garage List
2013 BMW 528i   [0.00]
F10 '13 528i weird noises

Hello all.

This is long and slightly intensive, but any help is greatly appreciated!

I am having a bit of a problem with my bmw 528i.
- It has 106,000 miles, and JUST got a full timing chain repair, including some oil leaks and head gaskets done.
- Also just got an oil change done at Firestone a few days ago (usually get this done with the same technicians that fix it), but dash said it needed at least a quart IMMEDIATELY, and Firestone doesn’t have weeks in advance appointments like my mechanic.
- This may have no relevenace, but I did get rear ended a few days after the timing chain was fixed. Just a crack all along the bottom part of the trunk, and air bag sensors are all out of whack (getting fixed soon), but no other problems; thought I’d add this.

*Not the main noise* To be frank, since having the car, there has always been a slight buzzing sound around the transmission area, near where the open and closing cupholders are. Weirdly enough, the noise usually goes away when the cupholders are closed, and ALWAYS goes away at about 30ish mph or when the car starts to pick up gears. (The cupholders closing and making the noise go away, could be purely psychological &#128514

The recent noise that I’ve been having sounds more like hissing, almost like some old 90s car you see drive by and you know it’s old and messed up cause of the sound it’s making (hopefully someone gets that analogy). Regardless, it’s definitely newish.

*I have 0 codes, and zero performance issues* The car runs better than ever, especially after that timing chain fix, although plenty of turbo lag still.

I will attach a video or two, and maybe some more in the future. But please let me know if anyone has any solutions or theories, or at least knows if I’m gonna be having to spend another whopping amount of cash again…

Grazie per l’aiuto!
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
Gabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Garage List
2013 BMW 528i   [0.00]
If anyone knows how to add videos to the thread, so yall can hear it, let me know. It’s saying I’m only allowed image attachments.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #3
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
Have you tried removing the cup holders and looking under them? Does the Buzzing noise sound electronic? How hard was the rear end impact?
Appreciate 0