2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Front Grill Change

01-31-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
BMW IBZ
Rep
Drives: 525D

[IMG][/IMG]Hi All,

Just wanted to ask now that Ive changed the front grill. Does this classify as a modification? And would that mean I would have to let my insurance company know about the modification?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

It is just a cosmetic modification, like changing your tires. In the U.S. you do not need to notify your Insurance Company. I assume your London is England. While I don't know for sure, I would be surprised if they wanted notification. If you change to different tires, do you need to inform them?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
BMW IBZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
It is just a cosmetic modification, like changing your tires. In the U.S. you do not need to notify your Insurance Company. I assume your London is England. While I don't know for sure, I would be surprised if they wanted notification. If you change to different tires, do you need to inform them?
Thanks for your reply. Yes im over in England and I was told by another BMW owner who also changed his grill that he had to inform his insurance company as they classified it as a modification.

Any UK owners have any advice on this please?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

that's just crazy! just to change out your grills you guys have to notify your insurance company? I know here in the US the only cosmetic that requires notification is if you change the color of your car
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
that's just crazy! just to change out your grills you guys have to notify your insurance company? I know here in the US the only cosmetic that requires notification is if you change the color of your car
Really????? Weird. Why would my insurance company care what color my car is? I never knew that. Then again, I've only had paint done on repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Really????? Weird. Why would my insurance company care what color my car is? I never knew that. Then again, I've only had paint done on repairs.
when I did car shows back in San Diego I would paint my Acura Integra so many times and I use to get tickets from CHP for various things. so when they looked at my Registration and it said my car is red but it was in fact blue they would tell me that this would cause lots of problems if ever I get pulled over when they run my tags. also with the insurance at least back in the day they would actually physically look at the car so everything had to match from the vin#, plate # and the color of the car
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
when I did car shows back in San Diego I would paint my Acura Integra so many times and I use to get tickets from CHP for various things. so when they looked at my Registration and it said my car is red but it was in fact blue they would tell me that this would cause lots of problems if ever I get pulled over when they run my tags. also with the insurance at least back in the day they would actually physically look at the car so everything had to match from the vin#, plate # and the color of the car
Huh.... Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW IBZ View Post
[IMG][/IMG]Hi All,

Just wanted to ask now that Ive changed the front grill. Does this classify as a modification? And would that mean I would have to let my insurance company know about the modification?

Thanks
OP, I would probably just ask your insurance company. It very well may differ from company to company. Although, I do agree that such a minor change would seem like overkill to notify them. It's like notifying the insurance company if you tinted the windows
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 01:33 AM   #9
Snakle535i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i MSport

Garage List
It all depends on how you bought the car, if bought on PCP, HP, Lease or PCH. then you can't legally do any mods. Only time you can modify is if you own car outright.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 04:39 AM   #10
BMW IBZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encendido3 View Post
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]Hi All,

Thanks
OP, I would probably just ask your insurance company. It very well may differ from company to company. Although, I do agree that such a minor change would seem like overkill to notify them. It's like notifying the insurance company if you tinted the windows
Update: I have called them and they said that notification is required and the same for window tinting, spraying rims, callipers etc. Any changes made which means the car is different to when it comes out of the factory requires notification.

Also it will be added to my insurance at an increased fee. Very annoying and unfair.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: I have called them and they said that notification is required and the same for window tinting, spraying rims, callipers etc. Any changes made which means the car is different to when it comes out of the factory requires notification.

Also it will be added to my insurance at an increased fee. Very annoying and unfair.
Ahhhh...... Anything to separate you from your money!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 04:25 AM   #12
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Ahhhh...... Anything to separate you from your money!
That was my exact thought.
Appreciate 0