2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Mirrows, windows and saving last destination

09-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
AlexeyTO
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Mirrows, windows and saving last destination

Hi guys, last week I got my 535i x-drive with sport package, and most of whistles and bells, except for adaptive cruise control and rear entertainment.

First, a few observations:

The car is nice, though I wish they would sell diesel-powered F11 here in Canada. I miss 500nm of torque that I had on E91 330D and fuel consumption is kind of staggering on N55 - I get 16-17.5L/100km in city, such an increase after 8.4L/100km I averaged on my previous car, when I lived in Europe.

The handling is okay, glad steering is still hydraulic, it is still very agile, given the size of the car and it is more luxurious and insulated inside, but I get some rattling noise from the right door and I can tell there is too much firmware inside this car. It does behave differently, like I sometimes have a sudden motion jerk as I come to a complete halt, and then in a few days it is gone. But overall it is an evolution. I am glad I was able to default to 18 " rims from 19" GY LS2 Eagle AS.

I wonder:
1. Is there a way to make mirrors close up automatically, when I lock the car? My previous touring had an option in the menu to synch it up with the door lock...Here I have to push the dedicated button every time before I exit.
2. Why, when I press the lock button on my remote continuously, windows continue to stay open? 3er was shutting all the windows up, upon 3 sec push...
3. Am I really getting old (I am 37)? I can not find, how I can quickly save the address that I already used for a few times. The only way I found was adding it by entering from the scratch into...contacts.
4. Do you think it is normal for break-in period, that I get ~17L/100km,even with coasting, whenever possible? How much of an adjustment you saw after by the end of break-in?

Please shed some light!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Press and hold the central (BMW logo) lock button on the fob; after a few seconds the mirrors will fold.
To save addresses press options and select save
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Press and hold the central (BMW logo) lock button on the fob; after a few seconds the mirrors will fold.
To save addresses press options and select save
I'm reasonably sure this feature is disabled in cars in North America for some reason.

Later addition: I'm referring to the feature to fold the mirrors. On my M3 (and the 335i that preceded it), Comfort Access will close the windows and sunroof, but not fold the mirrors. On the 2006 E90 with CA, the mirrors *do* fold, but that was taken away on the 2007 and later models. Not sure why...I wish we had that feature here. I'll be able to report on the F10 implementation on Monday when I get mine (after more than two weeks at the VPC).
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds

Last edited by MBrown1003; 09-10-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

1 & 2 - Yep, at least in my EU 520d holding the lock button will close all windows and will fold the mirrors.

3. I think you just select the address you recently used from Last Destinations and then Options - Save...? (too lazy to go and verify now ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
AlexeyTO
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Guys, thanks for your replies, need to get back from overseas to check if there is an option to save the address (I am sure it is there, just need to double check it). As for other two features, - they are not implemented on Canadian F10 spec, so if I press the central button - windows never go up and mirrors don't have an option in menu to fold'em automatically when you lock the car.

Mbrown, pls let me know your findings upon trying your F10, would appreciate the feedback indeed.

As a bottom line, it is weird that BMW cuts down on good-to-have features for NA spec. I noticed that A/C unit does not memorize your preference. I somehow have a feeling BMW considers drivers here not as demanding (which is true in some ways), yet disabling software-based features makes no economical sense to me.
Appreciate 0