2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Muffler delete?

11-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Kevindamoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535I

Muffler delete?

I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and these f10's have been adding a straight pipe and cutting the muffler off and some even resonator also...can somebody with some bmw knowledge tell me if its a good or bad idea thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Drone

You will get a drone sound (deep vibrating hum). And it will be really loud.. I did it on a mustang and it was loud.. Exhaust system for bmw is ridiculously expensive.. Not a bad idea
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Aaron@Autosource
Rep
Drives: F110/F22

Or you can get a pair of electric cutouts..then you'll have best of both worlds at your control.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
satzinger
Old BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindamoe View Post
I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube and these f10's have been adding a straight pipe and cutting the muffler off and some even resonator also...can somebody with some bmw knowledge tell me if its a good or bad idea thanks!
A BMW is a nice car. Deleting the muffler and just making it loud, tells everybody that you want to have an aftermarket exhaust system but you don't have the money to do it.
I personally hate those loud "ricer" cars, it's like "look my car is loud so it is also really fast"!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
KL 14MILE
United_States
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 5

IMO it sounds perfect from the outside. People who mod compliment and are surprised that it was something as simple as a muffler delete. I've heard the m performance mufflers and it doesn't sound half as good as a delete.

From the inside however, as others have mentioned, it drones and you get that annoying vibration. That takes away from the comfort factor, especially for a car like this that was designed to do that one thing very well. Everyone will have an opinion on the matter. The fact is, they are mufflers, if you delete them and you are not happy, you can always get them welded back on.

Here is a clip of mine if you haven't seen it already:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Y_AueuTLo[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Kevindamoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535I

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL 14MILE
IMO it sounds perfect from the outside. People who mod compliment and are surprised that it was something as simple as a muffler delete. I've heard the m performance mufflers and it doesn't sound half as good as a delete.

From the inside however, as others have mentioned, it drones and you get that annoying vibration. That takes away from the comfort factor, especially for a car like this that was designed to do that one thing very well. Everyone will have an opinion on the matter. The fact is, they are mufflers, if you delete them and you are not happy, you can always get them welded back on.

What do you mean by IMO? Yeah I've heard and read a lot about muffler deletes. And to be honest my
Friend also did it on his M5 and it sounds crazy. I didn't think it would sound good on my 535i until I started reading about it. I think I'm gonna go this route just because it sounds better. The exhaust that i want is about 4000$ and all it is is paying for the brand. And your right if I ever want to go back to being quiet I can get my old mufflers welded on thanks a l OT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
KL 14MILE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindamoe View Post
What do you mean by IMO? Yeah I've heard and read a lot about muffler deletes. And to be honest my
Friend also did it on his M5 and it sounds crazy. I didn't think it would sound good on my 535i until I started reading about it. I think I'm gonna go this route just because it sounds better. The exhaust that i want is about 4000$ and all it is is paying for the brand. And your right if I ever want to go back to being quiet I can get my old mufflers welded on thanks a l OT

IMO is an abbreviation for "in my opinion."
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL 14MILE View Post

After I heard your car I was sold on doing the muffler delete. I remember reading your original thread a little while back and listening to the youtube link. Excellent job capture the pre and post sound clips, I believe you have the best video on the web for our cars at present. I hope to post a sound clip of mine (post) after the weather calms down a bit.
      11-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
KL 14MILE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
After I heard your car I was sold on doing the muffler delete. I remember reading your original thread a little while back and listening to the youtube link. Excellent job capture the pre and post sound clips, I believe you have the best video on the web for our cars at present. I hope to post a sound clip of mine (post) after the weather calms down a bit.
Thanks. I've also checked out several videos of 535s and 335s w/ deletes and none had good quality. I figured I'll attempt to do it right for our community here.

I must add that I personally find it excessive at times. "Loudness" is relative to what each person finds tolerable. Although it's enjoyable when I punch the gas, it can be bothersome when you want to just cruise. It's fun for now, but I do see myself possibly putting them back on in the future.

Here is cold start up clip:

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O61lnfmW4HA[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
843f10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: alpine white f10 535i

heres mine i love it
Appreciate 0