2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Video playback question ???

01-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Rudeja
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Sport

Video playback question ???

I have searched but I am not 100% clear on the answers I see.

I have 2011 (prod 3/10 date) 535i with no combox box. it is possible to program CIC for usb or iphone video playback. can this be done via coding or do I need special hardware ?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
535i///M
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive Msport

I also have a 2011 and I was able to play netfix/movies with the snap in adapter for the iPhone. It will need to be coded to play in motion. When I updated to iOS 8 it stopped playing video for some reason and I never figured out why. I got a multimedia adapter and I have been very happy with it because it plays in full screen, left split screen or right split screen. It integrates perfectly with iDrive. Through the snap in adapter I could only play video on the left split screen and if I turned off split screen it would only center the same size image with black spaces on the side, it didn't look good.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Rudeja
First Lieutenant
Rep

video playback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i///M View Post
I also have a 2011 and I was able to play netfix/movies with the snap in adapter for the iPhone. It will need to be coded to play in motion. When I updated to iOS 8 it stopped playing video for some reason and I never figured out why. I got a multimedia adapter and I have been very happy with it because it plays in full screen, left split screen or right split screen. It integrates perfectly with iDrive. Through the snap in adapter I could only play video on the left split screen and if I turned off split screen it would only center the same size image with black spaces on the side, it didn't look good.
Wow, do you have a combox ?, if I get the snap in adapter and code it, will I get video without the combox ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
535i///M
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive Msport

I do have combox but your best option is the multimedia adapter. After you retrofit combox, buy the snap in adapter and code for video in motion you could have bought 2 multimedia adapters. Install is simple (plug and play) and it really looks great, it plays full screen or in either of the 2 split screens and switches to audio/video mode by holding the menu button for 2-3 seconds. eBay link below.

The snap in adapter would only play official iTunes movies or tv show and the you would have to load netfix or movie via iPhone, you basically had to trick it to work and after I updated the iOS the trick stopped working. I also hated removing my iPhone case to snap the phone in and it only played video in the larger part of the split screen. In full screen mode the image just centered but did not fill the screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181120244289...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Rudeja
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i///M View Post
I do have combox but your best option is the multimedia adapter. After you retrofit combox, buy the snap in adapter and code for video in motion you could have bought 2 multimedia adapters. Install is simple (plug and play) and it really looks great, it plays full screen or in either of the 2 split screens and switches to audio/video mode by holding the menu button for 2-3 seconds. eBay link below.

The snap in adapter would only play official iTunes movies or tv show and the you would have to load netfix or movie via iPhone, you basically had to trick it to work and after I updated the iOS the trick stopped working. I also hated removing my iPhone case to snap the phone in and it only played video in the larger part of the split screen. In full screen mode the image just centered but did not fill the screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181120244289...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thank You, I will look more into that Media Adapter on ebay, that looks very interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

For the CIC iDrive you can retrofit video playback only from iPhone 4/4s or 4th gen iPod. You need the Combox and 6NR for that.

Drop us an email with your VIN to check how much it will cost for your BMW.
Appreciate 0