2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Putting the Car Into Neutral

11-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Putting the Car Into Neutral

Has anyone discovered a way to put the car into Neutral without having to start the engine? I have tried various ways such as starting the accessories, no brake, then applying the brake...but with no luck.

The reason I ask is that on the rare occasion, I need to back the car up a foot or so in my garage and it seems a waste to start the engine to do that.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Has anyone discovered a way to put the car into Neutral without having to start the engine? I have tried various ways such as starting the accessories, no brake, then applying the brake...but with no luck.

The reason I ask is that on the rare occasion, I need to back the car up a foot or so in my garage and it seems a waste to start the engine to do that.
Like you I sometimes want neutral without the engine running but, most frustratingly, it can't be done. Box defaults to park with engine off.
In the US I think you get a tool to manually select neutral with the engine off, but you have to remove the cup-holder first. Unfortunately it doesn't come with new cars over here.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Like you I sometimes want neutral without the engine running but, most frustratingly, it can't be done. Box defaults to park with engine off.
In the US I think you get a tool to manually select neutral with the engine off, but you have to remove the cup-holder first. Unfortunately it doesn't come with new cars over here.
What happens if you put the transmission in neutral before you shut the engine off?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

releedy,

I think what happens is that the auto automatically goes to Park once you press the start/stop. Others have reported that it will do this if they leave the car in Drive. I will see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We no longer get the tool in the us as well. BMW put in some additional software so you can dissable the transmission for towing purposes. (you know about that.)

I wonder if BMW really thought this new aspect out. In the event you need a flatbed truck, it is unlikely you would drive up the ramp right? So even if you still have battery power, you have to invoke these special taps to the lever, and have 15 minutes for the truck to bring the car on the bed. Then you have to go with the car and redo the special taps at the dealer so the car can come back off the bed. Does anyone think that the tow truck guys are going to know what to do?............I don't know that BMW has really officially notified us all of this change. The Manual (paper one) still shows the old way wiith the lever.

I have a close friend that works at ZF and may try to get to the bottom of this. I would rather use the tool instead of this press / tap / press monkey business.

I mean really, what's the big deal in allowing us to put the car in neutral when we have a key...and have the accessories on? You took my dispstick away............now my neutral?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

all the better to not get sued for runaway cars left in Neutral..
can u really push this 2 tonne car anyway?
its either drive it or tow it, but you're not allowed to push it
just be glad you don't get start/stop technology which turns off your engine at every stop.. I think this good indication starting your car to move it 1cm is not going to hurt it, even if it seems that way, anyway you don't have a choice

get this, sometimes the car will let you drive with your door still open, other times it won't and jams you into Park without asking, I haven't figured out what the difference is - maybe if the door is more/less open than a certain amount it will/won't let you drive? anyway, the car's the boss.. I just obey
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
DNA_42
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Car wash

Can't remember exactly and don't have book to hand but the "quick visual guide" you get with the car tells you how to stop the car in neutral in car washes so it can "rock" with the car wash.... check it out, it is possibly what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Good idea, I will look at that guide again tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA_42 View Post
Can't remember exactly and don't have book to hand but the "quick visual guide" you get with the car tells you how to stop the car in neutral in car washes so it can "rock" with the car wash.... check it out, it is possibly what you are looking for.
Hmm.... but we don't usually turn off our cars in car washes!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
We no longer get the tool in the us as well. BMW put in some additional software so you can dissable the transmission for towing purposes. (you know about that.)
Actually I don't; there's nothing in the UK handbook and I couldn't find anything in the iDrive.
I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know exactly where I can find the procedure - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #11
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
all the better to not get sued for runaway cars left in Neutral..
can u really push this 2 tonne car anyway?
its either drive it or tow it...
So, without lifting the rear wheels clear of the ground, how do you tow it when it's stuck in park?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 04:00 AM   #12
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Man oh man you guys are making me more and more thankful for getting a manual transmission. No issues with putting it in neutral. I often roll the car out (using just gravity) of the garage when needing to wash it or just get it out of the way.

So, you can't just turn the car on (but not start it) to put it into neutral?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
DNA_42
Private
Rep

"At a glance" Carwash.

Page 18

1. depress brake
2. put into N
3. release brake/auto hold
4. switch off engine

car can roll for up to 30 mins

I'm not sure if this will help, it is only 30 mins, so maybe not.

DNA
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA_42 View Post
Page 18

1. depress brake
2. put into N
3. release brake/auto hold
4. switch off engine

car can roll for up to 30 mins

I'm not sure if this will help, it is only 30 mins, so maybe not.

DNA
Thanks for the info, but I don't know where you found it. Page 18 of my handbook describes iDrive symbols and makes no reference to the transmission. Was it page 18 in the on-board manual? Last time I checked I went to the transmission section and couldn't find anything about selecting neutral with the engine off.
It still leaves me wondering how you'd move the car in the event of a breakdown.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I don't know where you found it. Page 18 of my handbook describes iDrive symbols and makes no reference to the transmission. Was it page 18 in the on-board manual? Last time I checked I went to the transmission section and couldn't find anything about selecting neutral with the engine off.
It still leaves me wondering how you'd move the car in the event of a breakdown.
try page 66/67. You must remove cupholder and turn transmission lock to unlock position using the transmission release tool in the trunk.
      12-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
DNA_42
Private
Rep

Where I found it...

...still not sure if it is really want you need but I found that description on page 18 of the smaller "At a glance" pictorial manual not the main manual.

BTW How do you get the cupholder out because I think I still have a small coin stuck in there...

Thanks

DNA
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Cupholder pulls straigt out...........be mindful of the wires going to the 12 socket. There should be a plug that you can disconnect on the backside as you hold the assembly.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
algoodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
try page 66/67. You must remove cupholder and turn transmission lock to unlock position using the transmission release tool in the trunk.
September builds and after removed the transmission lock tool in the trunk. There is no BMW published method of unlocking the transmission. Does anyone know how?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
try page 66/67.
Not in the UK handbook.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Now another question.

Now Ive got more fuel to add to the fiire!!!!!!!!

I decided to look at the 7 series manual to see if they had any different information on how to unlock the transmission. Lo and behold, they indicate to also use the tool to physically unlock the tranny. (Im not sure if this is the 8 speed, but am assuming it is)

But in addition to this, the tool is also used to physically unlock the rear parking brakes, which use the same mechanism (as far as I can tell) that the new F10 series uses. I never thought about that but can imagine a scenario where the battery gets disconnected, you need the flatbed, and along with the transmission, the brakes are solid on hold. I know under certain circumstances...........if you have an accident that bad....who cares if the back wheels are locked up, but I do think BMW needs to send a formal explanation to all new Five series owners on all this stuff. Especially those with post September vehicles that have no bright orange tool and have no official explanation on what to do. In fact, a small wallet size card with the procedures would be nice, since this is something I will forget untill I need it.

I still love the car and consider this one of those minor issues that will get answered someway somehow by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

AFAIK the 7-series still uses the 6-speed transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #22
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

Quote:
Now Ive got more fuel to add to the fiire!!!!!!!!

I decided to look at the 7 series manual to see if they had any different information on how to unlock the transmission. Lo and behold, they indicate to also use the tool to physically unlock the tranny. (Im not sure if this is the 8 speed, but am assuming it is)

But in addition to this, the tool is also used to physically unlock the rear parking brakes, which use the same mechanism (as far as I can tell) that the new F10 series uses. I never thought about that but can imagine a scenario where the battery gets disconnected, you need the flatbed, and along with the transmission, the brakes are solid on hold. I know under certain circumstances...........if you have an accident that bad....who cares if the back wheels are locked up, but I do think BMW needs to send a formal explanation to all new Five series owners on all this stuff. Especially those with post September vehicles that have no bright orange tool and have no official explanation on what to do. In fact, a small wallet size card with the procedures would be nice, since this is something I will forget untill I need it.

I still love the car and consider this one of those minor issues that will get answered someway somehow by BMW.
It is the same in the 5GT manual. It mentions procedures both for parking brake and transmission.
Appreciate 0