2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Replacing Turbo!!!

03-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Replacing Turbo!!!

Took my car in for its annual oil change and service on Monday. I told them about a new noise I hear from the engine compartment when I push the acceleration hard (Beside the turbo sound). It sounds like a vacuum cleaner that has a punctured hose, but not as bad.
Monday evening, Dealer: We finished your regular maintenance, but didn't have time to check the noise problem.
Tuesday, Dealer: We hear the sound, but we couldn't find the source.
Wednesday (Today),Dealer: We found that it is from Turbo. We asked BMW for authorization to change the Turbo. The process usually takes a while.
Me: :|

My car is a 528i Xdrive and has 40K km (25K miles) on it. Fortunately, still under warranty.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Share your ideas.

PS: I am driving a 328d loaner. So far I like the diesel engine so much. I am tempted to buy my next Bimmer a diesel.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white

Last edited by Zaman; 03-26-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
The dealer called me today and said: We have a question!! Did you modify anything on your car? Like Navigation?
Me: Yes
Dealer: Oh!! Do you have the old one? Can you bring it in?
Me: yes.
I took it in. The service shop manager came to me and said: we were trying to update your system for 2 hours but it kept crashing. We contacted BMW Canada and they said, the car is modified and you cannot update it. Let the customer know that if he keeps the modified parts on the car the warranty for all optical/Multimedia system would be voided.
Service manager: So you can keep the your Mod in the car, it was a nice job. But your guaranty would be voided. Or you can go back to your old system.
Me: It is a tough decision.
Manager: Who installed it for you?
Me: Physically myself, but it was coded by someone else.
Manager: Ok, you have the ability. I am just saying.
Me: So you mean I can swap the systems whenever I bring the car in and can keep the warranty.
Manager: That is my personal Idea.
Me: OK, then. Now you can replace the old one in, do your coding and I'll take care of replacing the new one later. How long will it take?
Manager: If I don't want to attach the system completely in the car and just remove the wires from your new system and attach it to the old one and code, it will be about two hours for the swap and about an hour coding. And you know swapping is not covered by warranty.
Me: 2 hrs????
Manager: yes.
Me: Can I take the car and do it myself? It'll take less than half an hr for me.
Manager:
I took the car and swapped the systems in their parking lot and it took about 25min.
after 25 min, Manager:
Me:

PS1: If you want to see the DIY for navi retrofit see:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809788

PS2: The updating was due to a recall for reducing the Co2 emission on f10s. They code it and increase the heat in somewhere (I don't remember) to increase the burn more.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

since your car has the same type with me, I should check about that problem "just in case" if it happens.
Appreciate 0