2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Another headlight issue

12-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Another headlight issue

So after some heavy rain, I got the famous numerous malfunctions for my passenger headlight. First was DRL, then suddenly, all of them Adaptive, aim, turn, etc...

Passenger headlight had obvious signs of condensation....And I'm thinking to myself "Module is probably gone"...

At work & after a couple hours in the sun, everything seems to be OK - all functions (fingers crossed)...Condensation drying up slowly...

Now my question is, where do I start to prevent it from getting worse, as I may be saved this time.

FYI - Last time, for my driver headlight, it was too late, and I needed to replace the whole headlight as the pins on got ruined. Maybe it could of been saved, maybe not...wasn't sure how long it was in that state as it was early in my ownership with the car.

SO I want to do everything possible to prevent an expensive entire light replacement!!!

Anywho, any advice on steps to prevent, lessen future problems on this passenger side, like:

1. Sealing off headlight to the best of my ability?
2. Inspecting the module/spraying CRC to clean contacts?

Any other suggestions..Advice...THANKS

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 12-22-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I recommend pulling the headlight and dry out the module and everything inside. Even though it's working, there are still water inside and it can short itself out again especially if it rain on you again. The module sit at the bottom and that's where all of the water will drain to so there is a high chance for it to fail if it's not dried out. Inspect for any crack around the housing. If there are no cracks, replace the seals/covers. Do a water test to see if it leaks in again before you put it back into the car. You don't want to disassemble the car again for the same problem.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
I recommend pulling the headlight and dry out the module and everything inside. Even though it's working, there are still water inside and it can short itself out again especially if it rain on you again. The module sit at the bottom and that's where all of the water will drain to so there is a high chance for it to fail if it's not dried out. Inspect for any crack around the housing. If there are no cracks, replace the seals/covers. Do a water test to see if it leaks in again before you put it back into the car. You don't want to disassemble the car again for the same problem.
Thanks for the reply. It seems I must remove the bumper in order to remove headlight. I understand this is correct approach, but is there a way to remove/replace the gasket from the light in place? If not, use clear silicone ?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Thanks for the reply. It seems I must remove the bumper in order to remove headlight. I understand this is correct approach, but is there a way to remove/replace the gasket from the light in place? If not, clear silicone over it?
Yes, you would have to remove the bumper to pull the headlight out. There is a small cover in the wheel arch to access the headlight back cover but won't allow you to pull the module out. You can use silicone to seal it but it will be hard to access the headlight for future repair.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2021, 06:19 PM   #5
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok so I have removed the light module from the light. No signs of water damage on module or headlight pins.

The headlight outer seal looks to be missing.

Also, is there some vent or anything is being blocked causing the condensation to be trapped?

Faults still have not returned, thankfully.

Please see pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #6
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

What you pulled is the driver module (TMS). I meant the ballast that sit underneath the headlight. It requires pulling the headlight out in order to access it. It's figure 2 in the photo.

The gasket you posted is a normal wear item. Part number is 63117240368. It doesn't stop moisture from entering the housing though. Something else is allowing moisture to enter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

So the condensation kept returning. I removed the headlight and sending it off for repair.

THE BUMPER DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REMOVED!!!! So many false statements on this, it can be done without removal of bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #8
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
So the condensation kept returning. I removed the headlight and sending it off for repair.

THE BUMPER DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REMOVED!!!! So many false statements on this, it can be done without removal of bumper.

Is there a video how to remove the headlight without removing the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #9
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Quote:

No but it is definitely possible
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 05:25 PM   #10
chipguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

Quote:
You have to remove all the fasteners on one side of the bumper to move it enough to get the headlight out.

I removed the panel behind the headlight in the wheel arch to get access to the 2 bottom bolts. It made it much easier.

It is not the best video, you can see he removed the headlight with the bumper cover hanging on one side.
Appreciate 1
Dan94418.00
      03-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #11
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

Quote:
You remove some fasteners on one side of the bumper and the wheel well cover.
Attached Images

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 3
Sylverlee150.00
John H.230.00