2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Battery Specs for F10

01-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Just got the discharge battery error. The sunroof is acting up, the halos don't come in when unlocked, seat memory is not working and the mirrors won't unfold sometimes. Haven't check the voltage, but I suspect it's time to change the battery.

Does anyone know the battery specs for our cars? Is it 850cca and 80ah? Also anyone have light weight options since this is an opportunity to do some weight reduction?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
bigshout
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Depends on options spec, my 535i has a 90ah battery, it's easy to check, just pull the boot liner out no you can read the label on your battery.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I had same thing happened to me most of the electronics will act up because it cuts power on most of accessories.
I assume you don't drive your car enough. I would suggest next time you park lock car with remote and that way car will go to sleep
I don't drive my car in winter time I purchase trickle charger from auto zone I hook it up every week over night get battery fully charged.
Good luck
      01-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I had same thing happened to me most of the electronics will act up because it cuts power on most of accessories.
I assume you don't drive your car enough. I would suggest next time you park lock car with remote and that way car will go to sleep
I don't drive my car in winter time I purchase trickle charger from auto zone I hook it up every week over night get battery fully charged.
Good luck
I do drive my car often, but I'm only 5 minutes from work. Maybe it's time to start walking and pull up on a mustang with my Nikes
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I do drive my car often, but I'm only 5 minutes from work. Maybe it's time to start walking and pull up on a mustang with my Nikes
yeah thats not nearly enough to charge battery
I also work 10 min from my job thats why I bough battery charger quick connect
every week or two I just charge over night No more issues.
      01-29-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Ok so found new things out. Its 850cca 92ah is the spec of my battery. Went into the secret menu and voltage showed 13.3 when the engine was running. Oddly enough when it was not running it showed 12.2

Wonder if its my alternator. If it was wouldn't that throw a code?

Have it hooked up to the BMW trickle charger so we'll see in about 13+ hours is that works

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
eghmsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport 6sp manual

I have a 2011 550i so my situation may be a little different. I would get low battery message from time to time when it was cold. My voltage was fine when I started my car after it had been sitting over night. It would stay around 13.4 to 14.4 volts while I drove. I noticed that after I had driven a while, if I shut my car off then restart it, the voltage would drop a little. It eventually became bad enough that I would only see around 11.2 volts. My alternator was going bad. My battery was already 4 years old so it went bad as well. I had replace both in a 2 week span but all is good now. I did not have any codes from the bad alternator either.

When I installed the new alternator, I noticed that my turbo coolant lines were leaking and dripping on my alternator. I also changed the clamps on the coolant lines too, I believe the leaking coolant found its way into the alternator causing it to go out.

I used the 95 amp AGM battery from Advance Auto that was around $220.00.

Last edited by eghmsport; 01-31-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0