2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Drivetran whine and hesitation/jerk with 20" wheels

02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

Drivetran whine and hesitation/jerk with 20" wheels

Recently I've been getting a whining noise from the front end. It happens when I get off the accelerator and am coasting at speeds above 50mph. At the same time I am also starting to get a hesitation/jerk from the transmission when getting on and off the pedal.

I have 20" MORR's 245/35 and 285/30 on the car when this happens. If I take them off and put the factory wheels on the noise and hesitation go away. I believe it has something to do with the xdrive not liking my setup. I've had the wheels on the car for almost a year and never had a problem until recently.

I took both front wheels to get balanced this weekend and turns out one wheel had a slight bend. I got the bend repaired but that didn't solve the issue. Any thoughts besides keeping the factory wheels on? It can't be the tires causing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Super6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi, 2014 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post
Recently I've been getting a whining noise from the front end. It happens when I get off the accelerator and am coasting at speeds above 50mph. At the same time I am also starting to get a hesitation/jerk from the transmission when getting on and off the pedal.

I have 20" MORR's 245/35 and 285/30 on the car when this happens. If I take them off and put the factory wheels on the noise and hesitation go away. I believe it has something to do with the xdrive not liking my setup. I've had the wheels on the car for almost a year and never had a problem until recently.

I took both front wheels to get balanced this weekend and turns out one wheel had a slight bend. I got the bend repaired but that didn't solve the issue. Any thoughts besides keeping the factory wheels on? It can't be the tires causing this issue?
I am not sure, but its not the tires, that is the correct setup for xdrive, they have the same diameter. I am running the same with no issues. I guess we will see what everyone else says.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
Cal@MORR
Banned
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Try getting the wheels and tires rebalanced. Make sure you do this with a place that has a Road Force unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkord29 View Post

Wheel bearings?
      03-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

Super6 you were right. I forgot to mention in my OP that I had Hankook V12's on the front and Cont DWS on the rear. I had to change out the rears last July due to one going flat. It was riding fine for 6 months and the front tire diameter must have gotten out of spec. Even though there is still decent tread left on the V12's. I put new DWS on the front and it rides perfectly again.

Note to self, for all wheels always keep the same brand tires on an xdrive
Appreciate 0