2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rough idle/rattle question HELP

09-22-2016, 01:14 AM   #1
lawjai
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Hi guys. Got my x5 a few weeks ago. I have never owned a bmw or a turbo engine before. I have a question regarding with this n55 engine as it seems to rattle and vibrate on the steering wheel when I'm at a red light. I have owned other cars, they rattle and vibrate more when the AC is on as heavier workload is on the engine. Is this a normal thing for a n55?

I normally just put 91'gas that contains 10% ethanol. Just yesterday, I tried to put in 94 gas that contains no ethanol, the vibrate and rattle seems to be a lot lighter and acceraration is more responsive.

Could this be a gas issue? Or the vibration a normal thing for this engine/car.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by lawjai; 11-15-2017 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

How many miles is on the car?
Regardless, I have 2013 XDrive 535 and very, very minor vibration is present at idle but it is most likely due to XDrive configuration.
If you are 60k or more, have spark plugs replaced and Injectors cleaned. It is a must, especially the injectors due to Direct Injection configuration. If vibration is still present, seek to be investigated by a mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjai View Post
Hi guys. Got my 535i 2011 a few weeks ago. I have never owned a bmw or a turbo engine before. I have a question regarding with this n55 engine as it seems to rattle and vibrate on the steering wheel when I'm at a red light. I have owned other cars, they rattle and vibrate more when the AC is on as heavier workload is on the engine. Is this a normal thing for a n55?

I normally just put 91'gas that contains 10% ethanol. Just yesterday, I tried to put in 94 gas that contains no ethanol, the vibrate and rattle seems to be a lot lighter and acceraration is more responsive.

Thanks for the help!!
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
lawjai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiys
Regardless, I have 2013 XDrive 535 and very, very minor vibration is present at idle but it is most likely due to XDrive configuration.
If you are 60k or more, have spark plugs replaced and Injectors cleaned. It is a must, especially the injectors due to Direct Injection configuration. If vibration is still present, seek to be investigated by a mechanic.

Quote:
Hi guys. Got my 535i 2011 a few weeks ago. I have never owned a bmw or a turbo engine before. I have a question regarding with this n55 engine as it seems to rattle and vibrate on the steering wheel when I'm at a red light. I have owned other cars, they rattle and vibrate more when the AC is on as heavier workload is on the engine. Is this a normal thing for a n55?

Thanks for the help!!
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Car has 80k miles. It does have xdrive. Besides the steering wheel, I do feel a little vibration on the left foot rest as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #4
lawjai
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiys

Quote:

Thanks for the help!!
In terms of cleaning the injector, do you mean by adding some type of liquid additive? Any particular recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

The Service Bulletin at the dealer does call for Injectors to be flushed/cleaned at 60k miles interval. I am not sure if additives to the fuel tank will be enough to clean all the carbon buildup in Direct Injection engines.
As far as your vibration, is it minor that can be felt at the steering wheel and maybe at the hand-rest or is more pronounced throughout the entire car? If minor, it is normal due to XDrive configuration. If it still bothers you, I would go to a dealer or BMW Indy Shop and get e second opinion.

Quote:
In terms of cleaning the injector, do you mean by adding some type of liquid additive? Any particular recommendation?
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0