2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Gong sound when entering my BMW vehicle

02-13-2024, 04:53 AM   #1
jermuuu
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d LCI

Gong sound when entering my BMW vehicle

Hello,

I have a 2014 LCI 520d Touring and it has recently started making the gong sound when I unlock the car and open any door or the tailgate. It gongs 3 times and then stops. No warning light on the dash/cluster. The car is completely stock.

I tried to search for answers on various forums with no luck. Any similar experiences or possible solutions? Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:59 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Do you get a "discharging while stopped" message at some other time after starting or after shutting down the engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:33 AM   #3
jermuuu
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Do you get a "discharging while stopped" message at some other time after starting or after shutting down the engine?
I had this about a month ago when it was up to -30 celsius where I live. I know the battery is located in the trunk so it does not go well with cold.

I had the battery checked a couple of weeks ago and it was fine so I doubt it's a battery related issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:09 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermuuu View Post
I had this about a month ago when it was up to -30 celsius where I live. I know the battery is located in the trunk so it does not go well with cold.

I had the battery checked a couple of weeks ago and it was fine so I doubt it's a battery related issue.
I've posted this about a dozen times this year alone. "Discharging while stopped" is not a battery condition message.

It means there is a device in the vehicle systems that is not sleeping properly and, as a result, the car has shut down branches of the electrical system to stop the drain. You can have a brand new battery just charged up from a plug in charger and see "discharging while stopped". It doesn't mean your battery is old. It doesn't mean it's discharged. It doesn't mean you need a new one. It doesn't mean it's cold.

Here's my thought process -- If your car is still doing this, you might be getting a gong because a system which is normally powered up all the time has been newly powered on when you unlocked or entered the vehicle.

Also, the trunk location has no impact on "going well with cold". -30 is cold, yes, but a "discharging while stopped" message is not normal just because it's cold out. "Discharging while stopped" typically means that your car needs repair, unless you have aftermarket devices connected (OBD2 dongles from insurance companies, aftermarket gauges or audio equipment, cell phone chargers left plugged in, etc...etc...)

There's a chance, though not a certainty yet, that this is your issue. If you have aftermarket stuff, try disconnecting it. If it was my car I would try a full reboot - disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for ~5 minutes. At some point try to power on the car while it is disconnected just to drain every capacitor in the car. See if the quirks go away. If not, then I'd be scanning with ISTA+ or some other BMW specific scan tool/app and looking for issues.

Last edited by Surly73; 02-14-2024 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 1