2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK service thoughts

09-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

service thoughts

Hi

Just wondered what the opinion would be on the servicing of my car?

60 plate F10 530d with approx 90k miles.

The BMW service is £299 as per the initial quote without pushing a dealer, or even offering my own oil.

I have priced independent supplying my own parts as I want genuine BMW parts as:
Oil £50 - Castrol LL04 bought at costco when on offer
Filter £20 BMW
Microfilter £52 MAHLE carbon delivered from Germany
Labour £60
Total £182

I've had the car 2 years now (AUC) and therefore I believe any BMW goodwill will be zero should I have an issue.

It will also need the brake fluid replaced, but thats an easy task for either garage.

What would you do? BMW to maintain history or independent?
I'm not sure what we will be doing with the car, although I do see us having it for another year or two (minimum).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #2
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

I'd push the dealer, get some quotes from other nearby-ish dealers quoting your own oil. Our local dealer have several tiers of discount, I think how reach each tier is based on how hard you push and whether you can quit cheaper elsewhere. The dealer facilities and convenience is worth something, unless very convenient for you with your indie garage location.

I would prefer a BMW maintained car if buying used, non genuine parts would need to proved otherwise, which might not be worth your hassle in proving for a small differential.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
suj999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F06 640d M Sport, F10 520d SE

Genuine (I have bought and tested) parts at half the prices here.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW-...391?nav=SEARCH
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Thread update

In the end I took the car to Synter Sunningdale for its 90k service, which comprised of the following;-
Oil and microfilter £229.
Brake fluild £80.

I'd book the car in online, and then called their group service line to ensure i received the value service pricing for the Oil and Microfilter and I also made sure they put the quoted prices into an email for me.
Initially they quote £135 for the brake fluid change, but bmwservice.co.uk quote this at £80 so they agreed to match. I know I was over charged here give brake fluid is £15.

I printed out the email and took it with me when the car was serviced, a good job too as they tried to quote "list" prices for servicing which I nearly laughed at, but upon sight of the email there were no further issues.

They even commented that my car was in very good condition, well it should be I only use genuine bmw parts and I have it serviced every 9k miles (the interim 9k servicing being at a trusted smaller garage). With the bmw recommend service interval at 18k being done at a franchise to retain the "essential bmw service history".

I hope someone finds these prices useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
t_dawg1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Thread update

In the end I took the car to Synter Sunningdale for its 90k service, which comprised of the following;-
Brake fluild £80.

I'd book the car in online, and then called their group service line to ensure i received the value service pricing for the Oil and Microfilter and I also made sure they put the quoted prices into an email for me.
Initially they quote £135 for the brake fluid change, but bmwservice.co.uk quote this at £80 so they agreed to match. I know I was over charged here give brake fluid is £15.

I printed out the email and took it with me when the car was serviced, a good job too as they tried to quote "list" prices for servicing which I nearly laughed at, but upon sight of the email there were no further issues.

They even commented that my car was in very good condition, well it should be I only use genuine bmw parts and I have it serviced every 9k miles (the interim 9k servicing being at a trusted smaller garage). With the bmw recommend service interval at 18k being done at a franchise to retain the "essential bmw service history".

Great I'm hoping to get my oil changed in Janaury too
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Thread update

Brake fluild £80.

Hi gtthree

I wish i had read your post earlier.

You have had your service done at a good price.

I have just had the same service done -
1: Oil and Microfilter
2: Brake fluid

And paid the bmwservice price of

£243 and £80 respectively. I had it done at their Leicester branch.

I have taken on-board your process and will do the same on my next service.

Ps you're very fortunate to have a trusted independent garage as I'd like to do the same every 9k miles.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0