2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Had enough of my job

12-14-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Had enough of my job

I have been in sales for over 20 years and have been quite successful.

Started a new job in October and knew the culture was not as good as it could be but a new SD gave me hope that this could change.

Well its been 2 months and I have decided to quit.

This is a highly paid role at quite a senior level so for me walking into unemployment is against everything I believe in.

I have saved hard all of my life so am mortgage free and have savings so financially we will be fine for 12 months plus

I know I could stay until I find something else then leave but I just feel I need to step off the treadmill of life and take stock.

Having worked constantly since 19 now 47 I need to empty my head and remember what life can be like without stress.

Just wanted to get it off my chest, thanks for reading....
Appreciate 1
ARC550446.00
      12-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I have been in sales for over 20 years and have been quite successful.

Started a new job in October and knew the culture was not as good as it could be but a new SD gave me hope that this could change.

Well its been 2 months and I have decided to quit.

This is a highly paid role at quite a senior level so for me walking into unemployment is against everything I believe in.

I have saved hard all of my life so am mortgage free and have savings so financially we will be fine for 12 months plus

I know I could stay until I find something else then leave but I just feel I need to step off the treadmill of life and take stock.

Having worked constantly since 19 now 47 I need to empty my head and remember what life can be like without stress.

Just wanted to get it off my chest, thanks for reading....
Hang back a minute, your in Sumerset, where I am assuming job prospects will on the lean side, so perhaps look for new prospects first, unless your targets or teams targets are unreachable.
You should get some time to reflect over the Xmas holiday.
I have been in this very position, think first. Good luck.
      12-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Hang back a minute, your in Sumerset, where I am assuming job prospects will on the lean side, so perhaps look for new prospects first, unless your targets or teams targets are unreachable.
You should get some time to reflect over the Xmas holiday.
I have been in this very position, think first. Good luck.
Thanks Mate

Its a fair call, I have been home based in all of my sales jobs over the last 20 years so location is not an issue.

Its expected to be in the office 2 days a week but other than that am at home or with customers
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Mate

Its a fair call, I have been home based in all of my sales jobs over the last 20 years so location is not an issue.

Its expected to be in the office 2 days a week but other than that am at home or with customers
TBH your largely "your own boss", only have to face the A..holes 2 days a week
you may not get on with them at all well, BUT as long as they accept your doing a good job.................... then Feck em.
      12-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Unfortunately the issue is with the MD whi is renowned for being a total cock
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi JLR

You are in a very fortunate position in my books.
From a bmw point of view you've just taken delivery of a lovely 535d and at a young age are mortgage free. You have worked hard as you said from 19 and you have a lot to show for it in 2 years. A nice car and house. You are thus at a stage where you don't need stress or anguish on a daily basis. If work is at the point where you feel this way on a daily basis then it needs to be reviewed. We are very close to Xmas and all industries are pandemonium at the moment so please don't make and haste decisions just yet. Give it till after Xmas and use this time to reflect properly with your family on what your objectives are from a job point of view. Less stress job role etc. New company, locations etc
You have a wealth of experience standing in your favour and use it to your advantage.
Hope this helps!
Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi JLR

From a bmw point of view you've just taken delivery of a lovely 535d and at a young age are mortgage free. You have worked hard as you said from 19 and you have a lot to show for it in 2 years. A nice car and house. You are thus at a stage where you don't need stress or anguish on a daily basis. If work is at the point where you feel this way on a daily basis then it needs to be reviewed. We are very close to Xmas and all industries are pandemonium at the moment so please don't make and haste decisions just yet. Give it till after Xmas and use this time to reflect properly with your family on what your objectives are from a job point of view. Less stress job role etc. New company, locations etc
You have a wealth of experience standing in your favour and use it to your advantage.
Hope this helps!
Sp
Hi Mate

Thanks for your comments

The plan was to wait until after Christmas but enough is enough and I know enough to know that it will be the same no matter.

Not that young anymore am 47 but not dead yet either haha

Spent my life saving so that I don't have to be in the position I am now so it's time to step back and learn what 'no stress' feels like

Give it 2-3 months and I will be climbing the walls and be glad of stress, or so my wife hopes!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mate

Thanks for your comments

Give it 2-3 months and I will be climbing the walls and be glad of stress, or so my wife hopes!
Give it two or three weeks and your wife will be one climbing the walls,
      12-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

You sound same position as me. I'm 49 and in technical sales. Done quite well and no mortgage, a 5 series and a Z4 toy.
Loved the hustle and bustle when I was younger, going to London two or three times a week with clients etc but I've had enough of the whole thing, keeping up to date with technology etc that changes every few months, jumping through constantly changing corporate hurdles. Gets too difficult and you start to get have different priorities as you grow older. You start to see retirement on the very distant horizon too.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Give it two or three weeks and your wife will be one climbing the walls,
Yes you are right

She has taken to walking round the house singing 'No romance without finance' Gwen Guthrie style

If you want to be with me you gotta have J O B

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
You sound same position as me. I'm 49 and in technical sales. Done quite well and no mortgage, a 5 series and a Z4 toy.
Loved the hustle and bustle when I was younger, going to London two or three times a week with clients etc but I've had enough of the whole thing, keeping up to date with technology etc that changes every few months, jumping through constantly changing corporate hurdles. Gets too difficult and you start to get have different priorities as you grow older. You start to see retirement on the very distant horizon too.
A lot of very professional 50+ year olds work in Waitrose 20 hours a week all had great jobs then had enough and working for min wage and no stress

Not quite there yet but see why they do it
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi JLR

Hope this helps!
Sp
Hi Mate

Thanks for your comments

The plan was to wait until after Christmas but enough is enough and I know enough to know that it will be the same no matter.

Not that young anymore am 47 but not dead yet either haha

Spent my life saving so that I don't have to be in the position I am now so it's time to step back and learn what 'no stress' feels like

Hi

You're welcome

That's the goal you've been aiming to reach to be stress free so you are there. You don't need to take any nonsense from work any longer.
You have worked hard and deserve it so you are right to reach out and grab it!

Well done
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      12-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I had the same dilemma when I hit 40. I had a very senior post in a blue chip company within a business intelligence function and although I was paid very well and had a team of 30 individuals I grew to hate my job. So they had redundancies taking place and I thought it's time to stick or twist, either stay in the office for the rest of my working career or get out... I wanted to leave for some time but always feared the unknown and my wife was concerned about what would transpire if I left so I stuck in there for the sake of the family. I decided to get out and bought a whole load of buy to let properties. I have also set up a construction firm, my family were in the building trade and this was always my passion although I didn't realise this earlier in my life, i am now relatively stress free. Went from a purely mentally stressful job to a physically tiring job and I absolutely love it!

Follow your heart would be my advice, you sound like an intelligent chap you'll find a solution if you choose to leave
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      12-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I had the same dilemma when I hit 40. I had a very senior post in a blue chip company within a business intelligence function and although I was paid very well and had a team of 30 individuals I grew to hate my job. So they had redundancies taking place and I thought it's time to stick or twist, either stay in the office for the rest of my working career or get out... I wanted to leave for some time but always feared the unknown and my wife was concerned about what would transpire if I left so I stuck in there for the sake of the family. I decided to get out and bought a whole load of buy to let properties. I have also set up a construction firm, my family were in the building trade and this was always my passion although I didn't realise this earlier in my life, i am now relatively stress free. Went from a purely mentally stressful job to a physically tiring job and I absolutely love it!

Follow your heart would be my advice, you sound like an intelligent chap you'll find a solution if you choose to leave
Thanks mate appreciate you comments and good for you for making the change yourself.

Last day is 14th January!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 05:07 AM   #15
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A lot of very professional 50+ year olds work in Waitrose 20 hours a week all had great jobs then had enough and working for min wage and no stress

Yes, I see why they do it too. Constant stress of meeting the number every week, forecast does not come in as expected, up at stupid o'clock, working in the evening, 60 hour weeks and often more. And no one knows or cares you are doing all of this. Stressful situations with customers etc.... I've had enough too.

I plan to hang in for another few years and bang more into my pension. I'm fit, slim, healthy. Get to early to mid -fifties and hopefully get a good lay-off package - my company restructures every year so it should come good. Drop down to a 1 series, keep the Z4 and get my job application in at John Lewis......... Nice local job that I can commute to on my bike

Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      12-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #16
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Quote:

Yes, I see why they do it too. Constant stress of meeting the number every week, forecast does not come in as expected, up at stupid o'clock, working in the evening, 60 hour weeks and often more. And no one knows or cares you are doing all of this. Stressful situations with customers etc.... I've had enough too.

I plan to hang in for another few years and bang more into my pension. I'm fit, slim, healthy. Get to early to mid -fifties and hopefully get a good lay-off package - my company restructures every year so it should come good. Drop down to a 1 series, keep the Z4 and get my job application in at John Lewis......... Nice local job that I can commute to on my bike
Hi shiner

I'm impressed with your plan and it's actually got me thinking too.

I'd love to do something very similar to what you said
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

The trouble with "dropping off the radar" is, you go for a mundane job and at first all is well, then you start to notice the poor organization/planning, the way it runs and howyou would run it, before you know it your up for promotion and back in the stream
Sp12349.50
JLR19691882.00
      12-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #18
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi shiner

I'm impressed with your plan and it's actually got me thinking too.

I'd love to do something very similar to what you said
Yep, good for you dude. Get planning then. I don't hate life or anything like that. I don't mind my job, it pays very, very well but just question if I want to be doing this long term as I get into my fifties. Tech is a younger persons game I think.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

You've done the right thing, no point in staying a position which gives you grief, no doubt your personal life would have been affected too. One word springs to mind....Bullying, followed by grievance.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      12-20-2016, 04:37 AM   #20
Turks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I think you have done the right thing... not necessarily the easiest, but the right one. Life is short as they say, so why would you spend time giving it up doing a job that absorbs your happinness all for a bit of money? When you are Mortgage free, and have savings, then I'd say you are now in the driving seat and you can choose the treadmill, and speed you want to run at life...

I have worked overseas for the last 8 years (since I was 24) but now having a young family, the attraction of the money just isn't enough... I too have just resigned because it was affecting the happinness of my family. I've found a job 10 minutes from my door which covers the bills and leaves a little for leisure / savings. I've got a business too which I can focus more on so hopefully that will bridge the gap between my new financial position, and the one while I was on overseas money.

You only get one shot at this... nobody lays on their deathbed saying "I wish I worked harder"

Turks.
Past:
(2014) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      12-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turks View Post
I think you have done the right thing... not necessarily the easiest, but the right one. Life is short as they say, so why would you spend time giving it up doing a job that absorbs your happinness all for a bit of money? When you are Mortgage free, and have savings, then I'd say you are now in the driving seat and you can choose the treadmill, and speed you want to run at life...

I have worked overseas for the last 8 years (since I was 24) but now having a young family, the attraction of the money just isn't enough... I too have just resigned because it was affecting the happinness of my family. I've found a job 10 minutes from my door which covers the bills and leaves a little for leisure / savings. I've got a business too which I can focus more on so hopefully that will bridge the gap between my new financial position, and the one while I was on overseas money.

You only get one shot at this... nobody lays on their deathbed saying "I wish I worked harder"

Turks.
Good man it takes courage but family are always the priority, I think we are programmed just to work to earn money to buy stuff that in essence you don't really need.

Trouble is you buy something and then you want to get a better version. Its a never ending spiral.
Appreciate 1
Sp12349.50
      12-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #22
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turks View Post

Turks.
Hi Turks

What you said makes perfect sense and is a good Philosophy for life

Set your own treadmill speed and no one on their deathbed wished they worked harder.

I'm going to take this on board myself personally and readjust some life objectives.

Thanks man!
Appreciate 1
Turks17.00