2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Opinions on wheel choice, please

11-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

Opinions on wheel choice, please

I know that no one can make my decision for me. However, I have no one to talk to about my dilemma of which wheel to choose. My wife thinks I should leave the car alone - which is not going to happen. And, my 6 and 3 year old sons can't help, either

So, I'm looking for opinions on my choices. I have a 2016 550i m-sport in Carbon Black. I will be lowering using ACS springs.

I've been going back and forth on wheels for weeks. And, I've managed to drive a fellow member crazy because I was about to buy his wheels, but can't be decisive enough to purchase them.

The wheels I'm considering are all 20" wheels:
New BBS CH-R
New HRE FF01
Used HRE P43SC

I've made a pros/cons list for each of them, which really hasn't helped me decide.

My main concerns about the used HRE wheels is:
1) That they're used
2) I'd need to buy new tires as I want all-season
3) Since it's my daily driver, I'm a little concerned about damaging one of the wheels and having to send it to HRE for repair. Thereby, waiting weeks to get it back.

I don't have many concerns about the new BBS and HRE, except:
1) They're a little heavier than the used forged HRE set - about 2-3lbs.
2) The HRE FF01 seem, to me, to be a little off in color. I prefer a little bit of a shine, whereas they're more matte, it seems.
3) The BBS CH-R wheels are not quite as concave as I like - at least the front wheels seem it.

My favorite wheels are BBS - I've always loved their classic looks, especially on BMWs. But, I do like the quality and looks of HRE, as well.

I could throw caution and budget to the wind and go for a new set of BBS LM wheels - but, they're so much more.

Thoughts? I'm hoping some of you can chime in, since it seems I'm all alone at home...haha.

Last edited by amrh; 11-07-2016 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
que syrah syrah
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550iX

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

EVERYBODY does BBS wheels on their BMW (ok not everyone but a lot of folks do but I know you like that look). There are a ton of wheels that look like the BBS CH-R and HRE FF01. It's really hard to beat a fully forged wheel for weight and durability. The P43SC is a great look and looks even better on a M sport. You didn't mention price so no idea on how they compare price wise. Price being equal, I'd go for the P43SC, but hey, that's just me.

Best of luck, I know how hard of a decision it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i like the HRE FF01's. Nice clean looking wheel. but if worrying about damaging your wheels and sending them out is a concern than i'm not sure. to me that's the last thing i would be thinking about lol!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I wouldn't do BBS or HRE on a daily driver...that's just me being practical. Like mentioned above, there are so many wheels options out there now, forged, flow forged, and multi-piece that for half what you'll pay for HRE or BBS you can get a good quality wheels and tires.

Check out the new Ferrada wheels or Vossen forged line. If you really do your research you'll find most of the wheels are made in the same factories and the boutique wheels like HRE or Forgestar are more for show anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

checkout the GetYourWheels from the Commercial Place as they have lot's of examples of different wheels on the F10 that may spark your interest or give you an idea of what other wheel options you can choose from:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028266

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002940
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 02:52 AM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I'd say the CH-R will be 4-6 lbs heavier than the HRE's.
I like my P43SC.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by que syrah syrah View Post
My 2 cents for what it's worth.

EVERYBODY does BBS wheels on their BMW (ok not everyone but a lot of folks do but I know you like that look). There are a ton of wheels that look like the BBS CH-R and HRE FF01. It's really hard to beat a fully forged wheel for weight and durability. The P43SC is a great look and looks even better on a M sport. You didn't mention price so no idea on how they compare price wise. Price being equal, I'd go for the P43SC, but hey, that's just me.

Best of luck, I know how hard of a decision it is.
Yes, very true that there are tons of BBS wheels on BMWs - but, I think it's for a good reason - they go well together! However, the P43SC is a great looking wheel and a bit from the norm. Pricing will end up being more for the used HREs, as I'd need to get new tires. They'll end up being about $1,500 more - because of new tires and a slightly higher cost to purchase them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i like the HRE FF01's. Nice clean looking wheel. but if worrying about damaging your wheels and sending them out is a concern than i'm not sure. to me that's the last thing i would be thinking about lol!
Yeah, I'm kind of crazy in that regard - minimizing risk for the future. Something about the FF01s that doesn't sit right, though. I can't pinpoint it. Maybe the center of it is too thick? I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooljust View Post
I wouldn't do BBS or HRE on a daily driver...that's just me being practical. Like mentioned above, there are so many wheels options out there now, forged, flow forged, and multi-piece that for half what you'll pay for HRE or BBS you can get a good quality wheels and tires.

Check out the new Ferrada wheels or Vossen forged line. If you really do your research you'll find most of the wheels are made in the same factories and the boutique wheels like HRE or Forgestar are more for show anyway.
So, you really had me thinking - maybe they are impractical. However, I realized having a BMW is not practical And, having good quality wheels mounted on a $70K+ car is not impractical.

I did look at Vossen. However, the ones I like are the same price as BBS CH-R wheels - about $700 each. And, I would go with BBS over Vossen, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I'd say the CH-R will be 4-6 lbs heavier than the HRE's.
I like my P43SC.
I like your P43SCs, too! Actually, I like your whole car - very nice!
The CH-Rs are about 28-29 lbs (front/rear). I thought I saw that the P43SCs are around 26 lbs, but can't find where I saw that, now.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

My 20x9 front weighs 22 lbs, and the 11" wide rears are almost 2 lbs heavier.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I like the HRE FF01.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
My 20x9 front weighs 22 lbs, and the 11" wide rears are almost 2 lbs heavier.
Wow...that's light for 20"! Making my decision more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
I like the HRE FF01.
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know what to do. If the P43SCs were the same price, I would even consider the others.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #11
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't seen BBS wheels in 20" new for $700 so I definitely understand you there. I wouldn't suggest cheap cast wheels for your Bimmer either but it sounds like you're on your way to making a well informed and researched decision.
      11-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
xxpanipuri
Major
Rep
Drives: 550i

I was very indecisive as well. so i feel your pain.

Have you looked at vorsteiner they have some good designs, saving weight is nice, but these aren't track monsters, and i'd rather have something a bit heavier and durable at a reasonable price (my opinion)

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I've made my decision and placed the order! Thanks so much for the input/suggestions!

I ordered the HRE FF01 in liquid silver, 20 x 9 and 20 x 10. I got a KILLER deal on them! I'm not sure if all of the vendors offer the same deal, but if you're considering getting these wheels, PM me for the info!

In the end, I wanted something that would be appropriate for a daily driver, year-round, and new. Also, I wanted something that would be easy to get, in the event I needed a new wheel, for some reason.

Of course, I will do the mandatory posting of pictures once they're mounted and the ACS springs are installed!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
Well, I've made my decision and placed the order! Thanks so much for the input/suggestions!

I ordered the HRE FF01 in liquid silver, 20 x 9 and 20 x 10. I got a KILLER deal on them! I'm not sure if all of the vendors offer the same deal, but if you're considering getting these wheels, PM me for the info!

In the end, I wanted something that would be appropriate for a daily driver, year-round, and new. Also, I wanted something that would be easy to get, in the event I needed a new wheel, for some reason.

Of course, I will do the mandatory posting of pictures once they're mounted and the ACS springs are installed!

Thanks again!
AWESOME! post some pictures when you get them
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
The_M6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't know if you were considering these but the guy finally posted pics.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...4#post20968574

Best deal I've seen on HRE...ever.