2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes TPMS fails to reset

01-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
Wsuman
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

TPMS fails to reset

2013 535 sport (not xdrive)
I'm running aftermarket wheels and removed the right side to have some repairs done.
For a day, I replaced them with the OEM wheels which had been stored for a few months.
That move triggered the low pressure warning, which I ignored.

When the aftermarkets went back on, I was unable to reset the system.

The "reset" button fails to illuminate, although sensors read correctly and show green lights at all corners. (Needless to say, OEMs functioned when removed and aftermarkets are months old and were functional as well).

I took it to the dealer and they want it for 3-4 days and will reset my operating system to factory original settings, negating all the custom settings. They say the protocol will be to reset, check codes and fix then test drive. Expectation is there will be another code and fix / drive. Repeatedly.

Service writer says they could end up replacing sensors one at a time then find there's an iDrive issue or some other things to throw parts at on the way to a resolution.

I've replaced all wheels with the originals hoping that would make the system feel more warm and cozy, but even after a week on them, it fails to allow a reset. Again, all corners show accurate pressures and green lights.

Do I really have to let the dealer reset the car back to OEM dumb?

Any thoughts on a work around to get the reset button to populate?

Best regards,
Walt

Seattle
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

So you have the TPMS warning light on the dash, but all four tires are showing in the I-Drive as normal? Simply swapping out wheels normally wouldn't require a hard reset unless you legitimately have a failed sensor. How far have you tried driving the car following your attempts to reset the system? I recently had an unusually long delay in the time I prompted the system to reset mine and the time it took for the car to recognize and log the current tire pressures - had to drive it about 20 miles before the warning prompt cleared. Normally it's an almost instantaneous process.
      01-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Your SA is a lazy bastard, go to a shop that has proper TPMS testing tools and they can test individual sensors and then if they are a bmw equipped shop fix that car easily
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Wsuman
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Thanks.

I've driven it for 2 weeks with the (previously functional) OEM 351 wheels and RFTs. Miserable to drive and no changes in warnings.

I'll see about a better service provider.

Input much appreciated.

WS
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Asian View Post
Your SA is a lazy bastard, go to a shop that has proper TPMS testing tools and they can test individual sensors and then if they are a bmw equipped shop fix that car easily
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Need4Speed_Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 M5, F10 M5, F80 M3

Go to any local legitimate tire dealer they should have the proper testing tools. Your SA isn't very knowledgeable I suggest finding an expert.

If you have any questions feel free to DM me and ask away.
Appreciate 1
The_M6248.00