2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding DVD/ CD drive

10-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Farmerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

I have had my new F10 for just over 2 weeks. The new navigation pro system and coms are excellent. We are planning a trip via Eurotunnel to France. To pass the time in the tunnel we plan to watch a DVD on the inbuilt system. Tried a disk today came up format unreadable tried a disk that I played the day I got the car, again format unreadable. Standard CDs load play and can be downloaded onto hard drive. I have tried DVD cleaning disks to no avail. Are there two lasers or is it a software fault? I can only get car to dealer in a weeks time so have to wait for their conclusion. Probably needs new DVD drive so in for day to confirm then order parts and in again later.
Have I missed something or was I unlucky to have a suspect DVD drive that failed. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post
I have had my new F10 for just over 2 weeks. The new navigation pro system and coms are excellent. We are planning a trip via Eurotunnel to France. To pass the time in the tunnel we plan to watch a DVD on the inbuilt system. Tried a disk today came up format unreadable tried a disk that I played the day I got the car, again format unreadable. Standard CDs load play and can be downloaded onto hard drive. I have tried DVD cleaning disks to no avail. Are there two lasers or is it a software fault? I can only get car to dealer in a weeks time so have to wait for their conclusion. Probably needs new DVD drive so in for day to confirm then order parts and in again later.
Have I missed something or was I unlucky to have a suspect DVD drive that failed. Any thoughts?
I think I read somewhere on this forum that you can reboot the system - might be worth a bit of searching - although I'm sure someone with a better memory will be along soon...

Found it - press and hold mute for 30 seconds. (The volume knob).
      10-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
I think I read somewhere on this forum that you can reboot the system - might be worth a bit of searching - although I'm sure someone with a better memory will be along soon...

Found it - press and hold mute for 30 seconds. (The volume knob).
If this was me, I would ask the dealer to sort it out, if you start messing around trying to do re-boots, goodness knows what damage you might do. I bet it is just a matter of the dealer getting the set up correct.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Farmerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi thanks for advice, tried reboot ( press and hold mute button for 30 seconds or more while system shuts down then restarts) advice good result not. One of the IT guys at with thinks I may have 2 lasers and the DVD one has died. Not unusual for computer equipment to be dead on arrival or fail in first week. Hope service department has a swop out head on order or it will be two trips one to confirm death and second to replace the unit. Still it could be worse dealer picking up car and warranty will cover cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerboy View Post
Hi thanks for advice, tried reboot ( press and hold mute button for 30 seconds or more while system shuts down then restarts) advice good result not. One of the IT guys at with thinks I may have 2 lasers and the DVD one has died. Not unusual for computer equipment to be dead on arrival or fail in first week. Hope service department has a swop out head on order or it will be two trips one to confirm death and second to replace the unit. Still it could be worse dealer picking up car and warranty will cover cost.
Sorry to hear that you won't have it fixed as quick as you would like but it should be relatively easy warranty repair.
      11-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Farmerboy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Car fixed. Glad dealer was collecting car took three visits one to find fault one aborted fix due to damaged replacement and a third 6 day stay due to coding problems. Invoice was nearly £600 seems whole pronav box changed. Glad I copied profiles and music onto USB as all was present. All nav destinations lost. Found new map unlock code document with paperwork. Just glad I was not having to pay.
Really nice to have car back having driven F30 320d for the 6 days. F30 drives well and sips fuel. My daily commute was 54 UK mpg a 50 mile motorway trip at 70 returned 68 UK mpg. Car ok but interior lacked class. To spec a 520d with pro navigation would cost no more than £100 over the 320d when you add leather and pro navigation. Makes little sense unless is a company car and you are taxed on fuel use.
Appreciate 0