2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding How do you force a waypoint in the route?

11-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

How do you force a waypoint in the route?

My 2014 F07 Navigation manual has a section about adding a "Magnet" to force the routing to go through a waypoint. But there is no such thing in the iDrive menus. I have to go through the process of adding a destination to the existing routing.

Is the manual just plain wrong?

I see that the Connected Drive Route planner just stores an XML file for import into iDrive via a USB but it doesn't support North America. Has anyone found a service or web app that can generate one for North America off of Google or something?

TIA
      11-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Crickets!

I decided the user manual is probably out of date wrt the latest MY 2014 Navigation menus and such. All it seems you can do is go into the Interactive Map, locate a way point, tap the controller to bring up the virtual controller and select "Start Guidance". This will let you add it as another destination to the trip and you can insert it in the right place.

Another use of Waypoints is to force the calculated route to be one that you know of ahead of time. In this case, with access to Google Maps, you can send a waypoint from google maps to your car. I did this for a half dozen or so key waypoints for my area so I can force the Turnpike over the interstate etc. As far as interstates go, I found out the hard way that you have to make them in the correct lane. So for each waypoint, you need to send two locations via MyInfo to your car. I prefixed all of mine _WAYPT: so they would sort to the top of my address book.

The notion of implementing waypoints as "Additional Destinations" is imperfect. AFAIK, you only get the estimated mileage and time to destination of the next waypoint and not the end of the series of destinations. This is a bummer and diminishes one of the key values of a Navi.