2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Msport hex aluminum trim - durability question

02-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi Msport

Msport hex aluminum trim - durability question

guys who have the hexagon aluminum trim - how did it stand up the test of time (however little it may be)
does it scratch easily?
Does it get dirty and tough to clean? Those little hexagon directionally brushed shapes can capture dirt (I think) and require god knows what to clean.

I am about to pick up a 535ix m sport with aluminum trim next week. I already spoke with the dealer and they will replace the trim if I chose to do so to anything I tell them to. But ... the dark wood trims are dust and fingerprint magnets AND you can see micro scratches on them since they are brand new. I am not a fan of light ash either ...

so the dilemma is - what trim to chose ...
Aluminum seems cool and I want to make sure it will not drive me crazy because it gets dirty or get deep scratches on it.

anyones' who has experience with aluminum and other trims please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
stevelup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 with lots of toys

I had it on my previous car (1 series) and there wasn't a mark on it after three years. I don't think I ever needed to clean it.

The F10 trim looks even more robust - it appears to have some sort of lacquer over it rather than being bare metal. It's certainly smoother to the touch than the 1 series was.

I very much doubt you will have any problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

I echo what last poster says.

I had same trim in an E60 and it was very durable. Didn't show any signs of wear and tear during it's 50k miles with me.

In my F11 I have same trim and was contemplating getting anthracite wood (had similar in last car, E92) but stuck with hex trim and have to say it's much better quality than E60 variant and looks very durable.

I have a 6 month old boy to ferry about and my concern was over time the gloss finish on the wood trim options would show up scratches and swirl marks.

End of the day car comes with hex by default so live with it first and if you want to change later you can
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post

I had same trim in an E60 and it was very durable. Didn't show any signs of wear and tear during it's 50k miles with me.
You really can't compare the the two trims. The e60 had the aluminum trip without structure, whereas teh hexagon alu trim (in the f10) has a gentle structure.

You really can't go wrong with teh hex alu trim. Don't see how a m-sport works with the wood trims.. I would stick to it and enjoy it. It is defintiely something different than what you see on other cars!

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

thanks for all the responses guys.
I am going to go down to the dealer again today and take another look at the trim.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Ok. Just got back from the dealer. Went to take another look.
Loved the aluminum trim this time And looking at wood trims all i saw were fingerprints, dust and scratches. This would have driven me nutz
Getting my car this week then.
November build. 535 ix dark graphite
Black leather. M sport, executive and technology packs. Also heated rear seats.

My third 5 series (520 E34 sold. 540 E39 selling)
First ever new bmw and first auto tranny. My other two were manuals.

!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Why did you decide to go with an auto and not the manual? Did you consider the Carbon Black which is exclusive to the M-sport only?

btw, congratulations on your order!
      02-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Why did you decide to go with an auto and not the manual? Did you consider the Carbon Black which is exclusive to the M-sport only?

btw, congratulations on your order!
1. auto - may be because I am getting old , I am 39. I hope I would not regret getting an auto. I can always go back to stick with my next car. may be 550ix manual in 3 years when the lease on this one is over.?

2. I did not consider any high maintenance colors .... I need my car look great all the time and it is too hard to keep carbon black and other black cars spotless.
swirl marks would drive me nutz.
coming from my Tit Silver E39 540 to dark graphite is already a big step .
I have a bit more time now to take care of the car ... but still I do not want to wax it every weekend.

3. and thanks ... can't wait. picking it up this Friday in AM
Appreciate 0