2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes 535i M Sport Rear Tires Suggestion

11-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
2SwiFt29
2GR-FSE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

535i M Sport Rear Tires Suggestion

Hi,

So about two months ago, my wife had run over a nail on the left rear tire. Took it to the tire shop to get it patched and was able to patch.

Then last week, the tire is slowly deflating. I need to take it to the shop again to have them take a look at it. I don't know if there's another small puncture somewhere or leaking from the same patch. The patch was working well before.

Question I have is that because it's on a lease and let's say I end up returning the car, I'm going to have to purchase new tires anyways. Since I need to buy new Run-Flats after 25,000 miles as that's probably when they're due for new ones, should I just get regular 275/35/19 tire to use for now or best to get the same Pirelli run-flat so that they're all the same tires if I do have to end up replacing that one?

2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport Ultra White w/ Cabernet Interior - Vinyl Wrapped Front and Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

If you have runflats now, don't install regular tire. Runflats have stiffer wall than regular tire, so it creates slight unbalance in handling. I am sure it will work but depending on which corner the tire is installed at, handling will feel different when you make left or right turn.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

If Michelin makes pilot super sports in your sizes it would be a ride, handling, traction improvement. It's just an all around better tire, but not run flat.

So, if you do go for the PSS or another non run flat, I highly recommend a puncture repair/inflator kit (BMW makes one) and/or a spare (BMW makes one) to keep in bag inside trunk.

If your wife typically drives the car, definitely stick with the pirelli run flats.
      11-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
corys530
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

When you turn it in they will charge you for mis-matched tires....just saying

And never mix run flat/non-run flat, it would be like driving a Kia
2014 328i
2012 535i
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
fsucoy
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535i

Seems like all considerations have already been covered. In summary, getting rid of run-flats is highly recommended as it improves traction, ride quality/comfort, and reduces road noise. However, given that you are on a Lease, you are bound to return the car with OEM spec tires (i.e. run-flats).

For future reference, given that you will likely have to replace tires during your lease tenure before returning the car, one suggestion is to immediately replace your stock run-flats with non run-flats to enjoy the improved ride quality during your time driving the car, while keeping your stock tires in storage. Then, when it's time to replace and return the car, swap the stock tires back on and return the vehicle to the dealer with the same crappy tires they sold you.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports is a superb tire and I've replaced all of my run-flats with PSS. Additionally, while many forum members suggest to purchase a wheel replacement kit, I opted for a different route to cover all of my flat tire or blowout needs, without the hassle of having to replace tires or have a kit in my trunk:
- For nails and other slow leaks: purchase an air pump on Amazon for $50-60 that plugs in to your cigarette lighter. You can fill the tire and get you to the nearest shop to patch up safely.
- For full tire blowouts (which is so rare that I don't know one person to whom this has actually happened): purchase a membership to AAA to cover your tire/towing needs, and any other roadside assistance you might require.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
2SwiFt29
2GR-FSE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Ended up just purchasing the same Pirelli Run-Flats on the car. Don't want to risk getting a flat on regular tires and not having a spare in the rear as well as running separate tires. Thanks for all the input.

2014 Lexus GS350 F-Sport Ultra White w/ Cabernet Interior - Vinyl Wrapped Front and Roof
Appreciate 0