2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 Night Vision Retrofit DIY

02-08-2018, 01:38 AM   #23
VMAX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 545i and 118d

Finally i have retrofitted NIVI3.
Thermal image on display is working but my problem is to activate pedestrian warning .... mine do not work.
I tried to code NIVI in different and varied ways, but none of them makes a differences.
The problem is that when I code the nivi as nivi3 (zeitkriterium after 0713) the check control gives me three errors:

- night vision failure
- pedestrian warning not working
- dynamic light spot error

fortunately manually deactivating some values of NIVI with esys I found a way to exclude the three boring errors of the check.....
This value are following:

ACTIVE_DTC_CC_A >>> set to (not enabled)
ACTIVE_DTC_CC_B >>> set to (not enabled)

I think that NIVI3 (6UK) wants as a prerequisite the installation of the dynamic light spot (5A3) otherwise even the pedestrian / animal signal does not work
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #24
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Hi is there a way of knowing if night vision 3 is compatible with an F06 LCI model produced in June 2016? Car came without night vision and before I go out an buy the NIVI 2 or NIVI 3 version (used) from a parts' recycler I wanted to know if both are compatible?

Thanks and Regards
Cris
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #25
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F06WINS View Post
Hi is there a way of knowing if night vision 3 is compatible with an F06 LCI model produced in June 2016? Car came without night vision and before I go out an buy the NIVI 2 or NIVI 3 version (used) from a parts' recycler I wanted to know if both are compatible?

Thanks and Regards
Cris
Compatible, 2016's come with Nivi3
Appreciate 1
FBMWWINS603.50
      08-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
FBMWWINS
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupé & M240i Coupé

Thank you Igor.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #27
Jartsa
Rep
Drives: G12 740e

Anyone know where to get the camera connector for nivi cam.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #28
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Ok Guys, I have had several people ask me on how to do night vision lately. I have pics, install docs, Install pics from my install, part numbers, etc etc. I am putting this all together now and will post on this thread for your info.

The HARDEST PART to find cause it is NOT LISTED ANYWHERE is the cable from the Drivers wheel well to the ECU inside the car. it is 170 dollars and needs a repair kit to connect the second wire on it, but THIS IS IT!

Will put together all my stuff and post within the next 4 weeks. 3/29/19 today

Cable from Front connector to Interior (the hard one)
6111 9238 633

6113 2359 999 (repair kit) second part of the Y cable from the NV camera to the fender well Can utilize repair kit 6113 2359 999 and basically you take a 2 or 3 wire repair wire from BMW, and clip this on the end of it. Poof, second wire from Fender well into the car!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 7 series NV Directions.pdf (849.4 KB, 824 views)
File Type: pdf BMW Night Vision Enabler-1.pdf (56.8 KB, 608 views)
File Type: pdf Diagram1.pdf (19.5 KB, 393 views)
File Type: pdf Emulator 2 Diagram.pdf (93.3 KB, 426 views)
File Type: pdf Emulator Install Guide.pdf (540.6 KB, 586 views)
File Type: pdf NV wiring3.pdf (20.3 KB, 439 views)

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 03-29-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 5
menelaos1226.00
_GW_25.00
John H.230.00
      04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #29
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Real OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jartsa View Post
Anyone know where to get the camera connector for nivi cam.
www.realoem.com should have all the wires listed for night vision except the one I posted.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2797

I purchased my Camera harness and HSD wire from bimmertech.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #30
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
OK, NIGHT VISION IS FINALLY BEING FINISHED!!! WOOO HOOOO. I have spent the past several months finding the stinking right Wiring harness from "Y" connector that comes from NV Camera in grill over the the Drivers side wheel well. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knew what harness to buy to connect the Y connection back into the Passenger compartment. Well, I ordered 5 different harnesses from our friends at www.getbmwparts.com and Jason worked with me to order these puppies from Germany and then let me return the ones that did not work. Mind you, I have been doing business with them for over ten years so they were really giving on this. The end result is now you can plug and play the HSD harness for the camera and with a BMW REPAIR kit (about 5.00 dollars), you can build the female end on the second part of the Y harness. Then run everything along factory harness (Cut Zip ties and then put them back in with new wires) and run everything into the car!

I found that you have to get to the central control module in the footwell and then pop out pin 46 and 47 for the Can Bus, build a new pin connection with 2 wires instead of the OEM one, and start plugging everything in!

TWO FREAKING years I have been researching, looking for parts, Locating Double slotted M5 grills that are painted black and then figuring out the NV camera enclosure for fitting a LCI NV grill to a Pre LCI vehicle. BUT IT IS ALMOST DONE NOW!!

I have located a person to source many of the parts from near Germany at a lower cost, Figured out how to obtain NV camera and ECU (MUST BE FROM SAME CAR for a retrofit), Located every single cable to make it look OEM and then do the wiring so not even the dealer can tell it is a retrofit.

Have been taking pictures along the way and have cleared up MANY MANY MANY questions that I have not seen ANYONE else go into detail upon. But this retrofit, ONCE you get the details figures out, is really not that hard.

Yes, you have to pull the front bumper, yes, you have to replace the air guide in the front end, Yes, you have to build parts of your harnesses, but this was not as hard as the Surround view retrofit.

As soon as I finish wiring tomorrow, and I have it coded by BimmerTech, I will post pictures of it.

This retrofit IS doable and not that hard once you get clear instructions and figure things out.

Only THREE more projects and only after three years will my F10 Msport, Dinan 550, be finally completed.
If you are in the NJ area, would you be willing to install it for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:20 AM   #31
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameplayer504 View Post
If you are in the NJ area, would you be willing to install it for me?
I am in the NJ area but dont have a garage to work within right now. At some point in the near future i can get a home with a garage i might entertain starting to work on some retrofits.

But this would be an expensive job, most likely in the thousands for labor as you have to pull the front bumper all the sub frame to replace the air dam, pull the stereo and a good portion of the dash. So very labor intensive
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #32
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am in the NJ area but dont have a garage to work within right now. At some point in the near future i can get a home with a garage i might entertain starting to work on some retrofits.

But this would be an expensive job, most likely in the thousands for labor as you have to pull the front bumper all the sub frame to replace the air dam, pull the stereo and a good portion of the dash. So very labor intensive
Hey, if you know how to do it properly I am willing to pay you. Once you are ready and have a garage, please PM.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #33
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Adding steps

I have had several people asking me about night vision lately so looping back to add whatever i can. Also adding documentation to help.

Directions for pics:

You plug the short black Y cable into it (marked 1 on photo 1). One of the two ends of this splitter Y cable has a plug with two wires (yellow/white and blue/black) going to it (as seen on image 5, the left plug of two alongside). This plug indeed can be cut off and extended with regular wire all the way up to pins 9 and 10 of socket A80*1B on the NV module - which is the black rectangular 12pin socket.

The other connector of this Y cable splitter shall not be cut off. You won't be able to extend it this way, as the signal most likely will be lost to a special design of the cable (despite the electrical connections being good). Instead it must be connected to the NV modules A80*2B black roundish socket with a extension cable terminated with appropriate plugs at both ends. It seems like cable 2 from image 1 would be good for this if it wasn't missing a plug at one end :-( I cant see if cable 3 from image one would be good nor if it has any connectors.

A80*3B is the white socket on the NV module and it outputs the signal to the HU.

a single wiring harness from the front camera to the ECU. (made of the Y cable and extensions to the ECU)
Build a second harness from the Night vision ECU to the Control unit to turn night vision on and off. (From the NV ECU through the Activation module to the ZGW)
Then a third harness from the NV ECU over to the factory NAV head unit.

and the NV power cable.

Images NV_FXX and Night_4 pretty much explain the wiring now when you know which plug on the NV is which.

2 wires from NV camera - A80 1B Black Connector on NV ECU - 2 wires out to Emulator - 2 wires into NBT unit from Emulator (I THINK pin 21 and 24 on my car)

Power and Ground - A80 3B White connector - Power and Ground from Emulator connected on same circuit

2 wires INTO White NV ECU, 2 wires OUT of White ECU
Pwr and Ground connected to the Black connector on NV ECU
but to express things correct: it's Can taken from A51 (ZGW) -> Emulator -> A80 1B (NVE) 😊

you're fooling the can bus. As normally only registred VIN can be coded to matching NiVi set.
NiVi FSC isn't possible to get.

Video in pin-out of your NBT depends on equipment present and version of the unit.

Don't mix-up 1B & 3B ! Be sure you plug in the right on. (These are the 2 Blue plugs that go into the NV ECU inside the car, you have to build these)

2B = the LVDS 2 pairs + 2 wires for preheat power to the cam.
Double check the pins/numbers as LVDS cables do swich orientation:

use an shielded cable for the video signal.
Even it's a short length.
If you're getting a scrolling image, then swap video and ground

On the Quadlock (the Connector to the back of the stereo, you have to connect THREE wires (Pin 26 (Shield, Pin 27 and Pin 28 are FBAS + and -)
They are labled
FBAS +
FBAS -

on diagrams
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW F01 Night Vision Retrofit - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums.pdf (13.03 MB, 504 views)
File Type: pdf EBA 0417339 Night Vision.pdf (849.4 KB, 522 views)
File Type: pdf EXX_F30_NBT_NAVI_NiVi_Activator_Rev_11.pdf (540.6 KB, 245 views)
File Type: pdf F10 Night Vision Retrofit (F10 M5) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums.pdf (527.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: pdf NiVi_Independent_Controller_V10100_en 1.pdf (93.3 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 11-03-2020 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #34
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have had several people asking me about night vision lately so looping back to add whatever i

Directions for pics:

You plug the short black Y cable into it (marked 1 on photo 1). One of the two ends of this splitter Y cable has a plug with two wires (yellow/white and blue/black) going to it (as seen on image 5, the left plug of two alongside). This plug indeed can be cut off and extended with regular wire all the way up to pins 9 and 10 of socket A80*1B on the NV module - which is the black rectangular 12pin socket.

The other connector of this Y cable splitter shall not be cut off. You won't be able to extend it this way, as the signal most likely will be lost to a special design of the cable (despite the electrical connections being good). Instead it must be connected to the NV modules A80*2B black roundish socket with a extension cable terminated with appropriate plugs at both ends. It seems like cable 2 from image 1 would be good for this if it wasn't missing a plug at one end :-( I cant see if cable 3 from image one would be good nor if it has any connectors.

A80*3B is the white socket on the NV module and it outputs the signal to the HU.

So the following statement you made is generally true:

a single wiring harness from the front camera to the ECU. (made of the Y cable and extensions to the ECU)
Build a second harness from the Night vision ECU to the Control unit to turn night vision on and off. (I would rephrase this - From the NV ECU through the Activation module to the ZGW)
Then a third harness from the NV ECU over to the factory NAV head unit.

and the NV power cable.

Images NV_FXX and Night_4 pretty much explain the wiring now when you know which plug on the NV is which.
Do you do the coding for it?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #35
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you do the coding for it?
No, I had bimmertech do the coding on it. But I am sure there are tons of people that would code for about 100 dollars or so.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 02:43 PM   #36
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, I had bimmertech do the coding on it. But I am sure there are tons of people that would code for about 100 dollars or so.
Do you know if you upgrade from nivi 2 to nivi 3, the cables and connections are the same?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 12:52 AM   #37
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Do you know if you upgrade from nivi 2 to nivi 3, the cables and connections are the same?
Cable to Camera is not the same as Nivi2 uses the HSD+2(waterproof connector) configuration where as the Nivi3 camera uses HSD (waterproof connector)

And on the ECU side the connectors are different (but you can swap out wires from existing connector into new)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 11:02 PM   #38
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Cable to Camera is not the same as Nivi2 uses the HSD+2(waterproof connector) configuration where as the Nivi3 camera uses HSD (waterproof connector)

And on the ECU side the connectors are different (but you can swap out wires from existing connector into new)
So other than those two cables (which i assume can be replaced) + the grille and camera bracket, everything else can just be updated easily with the existing cables?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 01:10 AM   #39
Yukumi
Rep
Drives: F10

Thank you Igor. :x
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #40
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAX View Post
Finally i have retrofitted NIVI3.
Thermal image on display is working but my problem is to activate pedestrian warning .... mine do not work.
I tried to code NIVI in different and varied ways, but none of them makes a differences.
The problem is that when I code the nivi as nivi3 (zeitkriterium after 0713) the check control gives me three errors:

- night vision failure
- pedestrian warning not working
- dynamic light spot error

fortunately manually deactivating some values of NIVI with esys I found a way to exclude the three boring errors of the check.....
This value are following:

ACTIVE_DTC_CC_A >>> set to (not enabled)
ACTIVE_DTC_CC_B >>> set to (not enabled)

I think that NIVI3 (6UK) wants as a prerequisite the installation of the dynamic light spot (5A3) otherwise even the pedestrian / animal signal does not work
Hey do you have the part numbers for the cables and parts needed for night vision 3?

Also were you able to retrofit dynamic spot light?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #41
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

I bought a night vision 3 kit but i do need help installing it in NJ, is anyone from the NYC/PA/NJ area that can assist with the installation?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 05:09 AM   #42
andriusrud
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Thanks for the guide!

I have started installing NIVI and found that CIC video inputs occupied 19, 26, 25 (FBAS) by Baseplate (6NF and 6NR) and 18, 28, 27 (FBAS) has connected rearview camera. So two video inputs are already used.

My car does not have a video switch.

Question: how many FBAS inputs has CIC (65129289247)? ISTA shows to many versions of CIC and I am already lost on it.

Does 21,24,23 (FBAS) third input in CIC, or only in the NBT? Should I install a Video switch?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 05:29 AM   #43
andriusrud
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andriusrud View Post
Thanks for the guide!

I have started installing NIVI and found that CIC video inputs occupied 19, 26, 25 (FBAS) by Baseplate (6NF and 6NR) and 18, 28, 27 (FBAS) has connected rearview camera. So two video inputs are already used.

My car does not have a video switch.

Question: how many FBAS inputs has CIC (65129289247)? ISTA shows to many versions of CIC and I am already lost on it.

Does 21,24,23 (FBAS) third input in CIC, or only in the NBT? Should I install a Video switch?

Thanks in advance!
I found. The CIC has three inputs:

Input 1
- FBAS+, GE cable, PIN 18
- FBAS-, WS cable, PIN 28
- FBAS shield, PIN 27
Input 2
- FBAS+, GE cable, PIN 19
- FBAS-, WS cable, PIN 26
- FBAS shield, PIN 25
Input 3
- FBAS+, GE cable, PIN 21
- FBAS-, WS cable, PIN 24
- FBAS shield, PIN 23

Source of information: "61 12 2 295 390 BMW Apps retrofit cable"

Additional information:
FBAS1 is wert_21, FBAS2 is wert_22 and FBAS3 is wert_23.

So if you use FBAS2 for NiVi you must code NVC=wert_22

Last edited by andriusrud; 11-02-2022 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0