2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New to 5post!

09-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
New to 5post!

Hey guys, new to 5post but not bimmerpost. I've always loved the f10 since I've seen it but I never thought we'd have one in the family. My dad just sold his E70 X5 last week and we're going to most likely pick up a F10 535i this Tuesday. If not this one (which 99% it is) then another. Anyways, its Jet Black with Sport and Premium Package and all the goodies PLUS 100k mile extended warranty. I know a handful about the N55 engine since I spend most my time on E90Post, for my E90 330xi, and most of the guys have N55's N54's on that forum. Pretty excited for this car because it'll be the first RWD in the family in a while (other than our 325ci but...RWD isn't fun without power). And first turbo car. So anyways, I just can't leave this car with no mods on it so I'll be going back and forth from e90post to 5post getting ideas for this car.

I've been looking for some cosmetic improvements. I was thinking, performance grills, Hamman style rear diffuser with quads, front lip (not sure which yet though ), and eventually wheels. My father isn't a whole lot into modding but I am so I'll have to try to convince him to throw some mods on...I definitely don't have the money to mod 2 cars at the same time since practically all my earnings go into the e90.

As for performance...I'm not sure my dad would enjoy the lowered lifestyle because of comfort. So if I were to look into springs how different is the quality versus stock? I know for a fact coilovers would be uncomfortable unless you spend a sh*t ton, my KW V1's are hell on bumpy roads. Secondly, a tune...now this probably won't happen because I don't want to void the warranty but from what I've heard, a JB3 or JB+ is pretty mild. But dealerships can read codes, so I did some research and heard with a Bavarian Tech tool you can erase those codes. True?

Anyways, that's all I've looked into so far. Any suggestions? Oh also I wanted to know any problems regrading the N55. I know the N54 was trouble some but the N55 is like a revised version of it so there should be less problems. But what should we be expecting down the road?

Here are some pics because I look forward to being a part of this community!

Out with the old:

(Never got around to doing a photoshoot for the car because the car was completely stock so this is the only worthy picture)

In with the new:

Last edited by Amini77; 09-15-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Beautiful car! Since I'm probably about your dad' s age, I say take it low key with mods. You know how you don't like driving a "dad car", he probably feels the same way about a "kid car". Light tint, painted side reflectors, maybe a painted m5 spoiler, that's all it would need to look really good without going crazy. A tune is always nice too, most guys wouldn't say no to more power, even dad's. Many happy miles to you all.
      09-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Welcome, and diggin' the whole family outfitted in BMW lol -- nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Beautiful car! Since I'm probably about your dad' s age, I say take it low key with mods. You know how you don't like driving a "dad car", he probably feels the same way about a "kid car". Light tint, painted side reflectors, maybe a painted m5 spoiler, that's all it would need to look really good without going crazy. A tune is always nice too, most guys wouldn't say no to more power, even dad's. Many happy miles to you all.
Forgot about the reflectors, good idea! Thanks for the tips. I'm sure once he gets used to the power he'll want more this is his first fast car you can say. I think the fastest he actually had was the X5 3.0si..... But I don't know my friend after looking into f10's, after he's done with it in a couple years I might buy from him. They're beautiful cars, luigimaster24's Jet Black F10 really caught my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighConcept View Post
Welcome, and diggin' the whole family outfitted in BMW lol -- nice.
Thanks! What can we say lol they're great cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
btv764
.:
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M sport

Welcome! Glad to have you on board!

A few recommendations:

As others said, painted front reflectors, small lip spoiler on the trunk gives it a sporty and finished look.

H&R or ACS (AC Schnitzer) springs will lower it (close the wheel gap) and provide noticeable handling improvements. Keep in mind that neither of these will give you the "low rider" look, it will be classy and enhance both aesthetics and performance. It seems as though H&R will lower it just a bit more than the ACS but both are good options.

Maybe a clear bra on the front end to protect against rock chips? Here in New England our roads are on the rough side and winters are not a black car's friend. You're probably better off in CA but it still helps a lot.
      09-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by btv764 View Post
Welcome! Glad to have you on board!

A few recommendations:

As others said, painted front reflectors, small lip spoiler on the trunk gives it a sporty and finished look.

H&R or ACS (AC Schnitzer) springs will lower it (close the wheel gap) and provide noticeable handling improvements. Keep in mind that neither of these will give you the "low rider" look, it will be classy and enhance both aesthetics and performance. It seems as though H&R will lower it just a bit more than the ACS but both are good options.

Maybe a clear bra on the front end to protect against rock chips? Here in New England our roads are on the rough side and winters are not a black car's friend. You're probably better off in CA but it still helps a lot.
Thanks! Glad to be aboard. But what about the ride quality with the springs? Does it take away from that? I think we're good here for rock chips, it won't be driven everyday, he uses a 2012 civic lease for commuting.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77
Hey guys, new to 5post but not bimmerpost. I've always loved the f10 since I've seen it but I never thought we'd have one in the family. My dad just sold his E70 X5 last week and we're going to most likely pick up a F10 535i this Tuesday. If not this one (which 99% it is) then another. Anyways, its Jet Black with Sport and Premium Package and all the goodies PLUS 100k mile extended warranty. I know a handful about the N55 engine since I spend most my time on E90Post, for my E90 330xi, and most of the guys have N55's N54's on that forum. Pretty excited for this car because it'll be the first RWD in the family in a while (other than our 325ci but...RWD isn't fun without power). And first turbo car. So anyways, I just can't leave this car with no mods on it so I'll be going back and forth from e90post to 5post getting ideas for this car.

I've been looking for some cosmetic improvements. I was thinking, performance grills, Hamman style rear diffuser with quads, front lip (not sure which yet though ), and eventually wheels. My father isn't a whole lot into modding but I am so I'll have to try to convince him to throw some mods on...I definitely don't have the money to mod 2 cars at the same time since practically all my earnings go into the e90.

As for performance...I'm not sure my dad would enjoy the lowered lifestyle because of comfort. So if I were to look into springs how different is the quality versus stock? I know for a fact coilovers would be uncomfortable unless you spend a sh*t ton, my KW V1's are hell on bumpy roads. Secondly, a tune...now this probably won't happen because I don't want to void the warranty but from what I've heard, a JB3 or JB+ is pretty mild. But dealerships can read codes, so I did some research and heard with a Bavarian Tech tool you can erase those codes. True?

Anyways, that's all I've looked into so far. Any suggestions? Oh also I wanted to know any problems regrading the N55. I know the N54 was trouble some but the N55 is like a revised version of it so there should be less problems. But what should we be expecting down the road?

Here are some pics because I look forward to being a part of this community!

Out with the old:

(Never got around to doing a photoshoot for the car because the car was completely stock so this is the only worthy picture)

In with the new:
Hi Amini,

It sounds like you have a great relationship with your Dad. That's priceless.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Hi Amini,

It sounds like you have a great relationship with your Dad. That's priceless.
I mean I guess but we have absolutely no common interests
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

ACS way to go..even better ride than stock..
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmassive75 View Post
ACS way to go..even better ride than stock..
Awesome! We're going to wait it out until these tires are done to get wheels, then hopefully look into springs.
Appreciate 0