2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Ventilation holes in leather interior? Good/bad

09-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix View Post
My 2012 550ix: front and back seats have perforated leather on seat cushion and backs. Only from seats are ventilated.
As it has been for every other pre-LCI f10! I can't for the life of me figure out why they have now decided to put non-perf leather in the rear!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarry View Post
As it has been for every other pre-LCI f10! I can't for the life of me figure out why they have now decided to put non-perf leather in the rear!
Which makes it even funnier is that the '13 brochure on page 25 has the note "Perforated Leather rear seats shown are not available in the US". They must have been plotting this change since last year!

Last edited by wrickem; 09-06-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
rayhwc
Rep
Drives: F11 535i

I have ventilated seats and I think it's a great feature. It makes a very big difference especially on long drives and here in Malaysia where it is hot all year round.

Personally I would have preferred non-ventilated in the rears because I have a little one and it tends to get dirtier in the back. The leather with perforations is also softer and therefore less suitable if you have a baby seat strapped on.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhwc View Post
I have ventilated seats and I think it's a great feature. It makes a very big difference especially on long drives and here in Malaysia where it is hot all year round.

Personally I would have preferred non-ventilated in the rears because I have a little one and it tends to get dirtier in the back. The leather with perforations is also softer and therefore less suitable if you have a baby seat strapped on.
Thanks for that info. The reason I'm moving from the 3 to the 5 is because I have a baby on the wy and needed a bigger car. Maybe it will be a good thing to not have the perforated leather in the back! Still not sure how it will look.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #27
MoonBMWer
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528i Luxury

Quote:
Do either of the guys with the ventilated seats happen to have the mocha interior? I am very interested in seeing what the cabin looks like with the perforated front seats and non-perf rear seats, especially with regards to stitching on the seats. Any pics would be greatly appreciated!
I have a black interior, but I'll take some pics if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
Donser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10

Same here... I have black interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBMWer View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #29
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBMWer View Post
That would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
I know the rear seats won't be ventilated -- it was purely a matter of whether they would have the perforated leather to keep a consistent look in the cabin between the front and the back -- as they did in the 2013 f10 and every 7er I have seen with the ventilated fronts.

Do either of the guys with the ventilated seats happen to have the mocha interior? I am very interested in seeing what the cabin looks like with the perforated front seats and non-perf rear seats, especially with regards to stitching on the seats. Any pics would be greatly appreciated!
I think I misspoke. My rear seats are ventilated. Or at least perforated. I don't believe there is any air flow.

I can check. Let me know if you want a photo.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #31
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhwc View Post

Thanks for that info. The reason I'm moving from the 3 to the 5 is because I have a baby on the wy and needed a bigger car. Maybe it will be a good thing to not have the perforated leather in the back! Still not sure how it will look.
Two problems with rear ventilated seats: 1. Milk; and 2. Vomit.

If milk gets spilled in the perf holes you will regret ever owning pr
perforated seats. Same goes for puke.

There is no easy way to clean. Plus, the perforations will allow continuous wafts of rotten milk to come up through the seats every time you sit down.

That's why it's imperative to load the front seat backs with extra large zip lock bags...this way, if a rear seat passenger pukes, just zip lock it and grab another.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

This is true. I've had many a crazy Friday night of milk chugging in my back seat with the inevitable puke finale. I've started leaving old shower curtains in the back. But they smell moldy.
Appreciate 0