2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Pothole Victim. Suggestions on a DIY fix?

07-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

Pothole Victim. Suggestions on a DIY fix?

If a picture is really worth a thousand words, then this should sum up my feeling:

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/3512/hhc1.jpg

Any DIY suggestions? All advise appreciated. I couldn't get the picture to paste without using the link.
      07-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
It's hard to tell from that pic. Did the paint actually get scuffed off or is that stuff on top of the paint? If it's stuff on top of the paint, you should be able to get it off and polish the paint when done.

Either the scuff went through the paint and you will need a re-spray or a good detail can fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

On such a low area, either use a compound to "scrub" it off followed by waxing the area, or if it's bare bumper then just put touch up paint on it. I had to do that with my previous white Mercedes and you couldn't notice it was touch up paint at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Good opportunity to put a front lip on...did anything happen to your wheel, seems like a hard drop..
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

The paint did scuff; to the touch it's grazed and rough. When you say touch up paint, any brand in particular that blends well? To the initiated, scrubs and front lips would've been the first thing to come to mind, but I am uninitiated, so I will look up what front lip means and paints . It was a bad drop, I felt and heard it thunk, pull and graze before the road became level again. The tires seemed fine, and surprisingly I didn't rash a rim or etc. It was a leafy area on a well traveled street (Stewart Avenue in Garden City, NY) and the shade mirrored the rectangle in the ground, so visibility came too late just as I slammed my brakes and sunk into the hole.

Thanks guys!
      07-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Sorry to hear but you can do what someone suggest is get a 3D design front lip which would completely cover that area or you can order a can of color matched spray paint and DIY that area yourself. www.colormatch.com sells whatever color paint you need in a spray can and i've used them before with great success. Since the area is so low you can just sand, spray the area then sand/polish it to blend in. It won't be perfect but like i said its so low you wouldn't notice it.

Alan